Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Budapest records

  • Dollins
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000

      >Let's answer a question for the benefit of everyone: does the Family
      >History Library have church records for what a pen-pal of mine in Budapest
      >calls "daily Hungary" -- that is, the country in its modern borders?

      Check out the location of your choice at the library's online catalog:
      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=l
      ocalitysearch&columns=*,180,0

      You'll have to type in the name of the town you're interested in. Or just
      type Hungary to see general records that are in the library.

      Anabeth Dollins
      axd2@...
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
        My impression is that you can find church records for specific places, like
        Budapest, but I don't know if the coverage of the country is as complete as
        it is for Slovakia (with the exception of the south-central records located
        at Banska' Bystrica, because they are still being copied).

        > >Let's answer a question for the benefit of everyone: does the Family
        > >History Library have church records for what a pen-pal of mine in
        Budapest
        > >calls "daily Hungary" -- that is, the country in its modern borders?
        >

        > Check out the location of your choice at the library's online catalog:

        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=l
        > ocalitysearch&columns=*,180,0
        >
        > You'll have to type in the name of the town you're interested in. Or just
        > type Hungary to see general records that are in the library.
        >
        > Anabeth Dollins
        > axd2@...

      • Judy/Dick James
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
          Can anyone tell me which of the LDS films would contain a birth registration
          which has a title of Budapesti VIII. keruleti allami anyakonyvvezetoseg
          6163 szam 1900
          Birth date: October 24, 1900
          Would there be any additional information to what is on the official copy
          that I now have?

          Any information would be appreciated.
          Judy

        • sabinov@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
            Thanks Andrea,

            I went to that page, most of which dealt with finding a place of origin
            using US records but some of the links went to some Budapest sites.
            Unfortunately my email to the director of the Budapest City Archives
            came back "user unknown"......

            I had previously written to the archives on Leonardo DaVinci street, I
            think that was the state archives.

            But I think my best bet is to buckle down and try once again to write to
            the Silhavy's still living in Budapest. I'll need to find someone to
            translate that into Hungarian. I am starting to get involved in the
            Sister City organization here in Mobile, as we are sister cities with
            Kosice, so maybe someone at one of the meetings will speak Hungarian.

            Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
              I'd go browse the collection and look for it -- does keruleti mean Catholic?

              > Can anyone tell me which of the LDS films would contain a birth
              registration
              > which has a title of Budapesti VIII. keruleti allami anyakonyvvezetoseg
              > 6163 szam 1900
              > Birth date: October 24, 1900
              > Would there be any additional information to what is on the official copy
              > that I now have?
              >
              > Any information would be appreciated.
              > Judy

            • Judy/Dick James
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2000
                I'm sorry, but I don't know what any of the words mean. I just copied them
                from the certified copied of the birth.

                Judy

                > I'd go browse the collection and look for it -- does keruleti mean
                Catholic?

              • Frank Kurchina
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2000
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Judy/Dick James" <jajames@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > I'm sorry, but I don't know what any of the words mean. I just
                  copied them
                  > from the certified copied of the birth.
                  >
                  > Judy

                  kerületi = district
                  állami = state, public
                  anyakönyv+vezeto"ség = vital records registry + management
                  szám = number

                  Read magyar but don't speak it.
                  Without accent marks you can often get different word meanings.
                  For example, török = Turkish , while torok = throat

                  Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék)
                  So the Hungarian records that the Mormons filmed were for
                  Upper-Hungary, or the Highlands were for Slovakia.
                  Think that none of the regional Slovakia State Archives have
                  equipment for making copies of microfilms.

                  For Hungary you could write the Hungarian National Archives
                  in Budapest. But need to write in Hungarian.

                  The LDS also filmed the records that were in the Hungarian National
                  Archives in the 1960s.

                  Look in FH Library catalog under Hungary (not Slovakia)
                  Microfilms are listed by place name and by religion.

                  For example, Budapest

                  Római Katólikus Egyház
                  Evangélikus Egyház
                  Görögkeleti Magyar Egyház
                  Református Egyház
                  etc

                  Read 55 entries just under Budapest.
                  Buda and Pest used to be separate towns.
                  Some early records may be listed under only one name or the other.

                  Hungarian English
                  rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
                  ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
                  izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

                  For Budapest (city) you need the district name or address to locate
                  records, which is what your title looks like ?

                  Also the appropriate megye (county) provincial archives may
                  have records (probably the more recent records) if outside of
                  Budapest.

                  Research in Hungary is regulated by privacy law and records have
                  to be a certain age before they can be accessed.

                  birth records : before 1910 (last 90 years N/A)
                  marriage records : before 1940 (last 60 years N/A)
                  death records : before 1970 (last 30 years N/A)

                  In Hungarian the parish church records are titled anyakönyvek.

                  Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

                  Nem. No. See above.