Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Kosarko/Matyik family

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2000
      Good shot, Caam!

      I have seen "Gendarmerie" in a Hungarian book and would swear I have seen in
      in Slovak references as well. There was a close relationship to the French
      in some circles and borrowing words was quite common. A Bratislava
      policeman sounds like the right uniform to look for! Back then I suppose it
      was a Hungarian uniform in Posony. (the book shows the abbreviation of
      "Gendarmerie" as "Gend.")

      Ron

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2000
        Before 1945, policeman in Slovakia was called "z^anda'r" or
        "s^anda'r", phonetically "shandar".

        Jozef

      • qt41059@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 30, 2000
          The word you are looking for is "Gendarme" indeed it a term for a french
          police officer. Hope this helps
          Kate