Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Kosarko/Matyik family

  • caam704@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2000
      In a message dated 10/29/00 2:50:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      jkosar@... writes:

      > My father was
      > a "sharndarm", phonetic, pictures show him in a military type
      > uniform. If anyone can help, please be my guest. Thanks

      John,

      This may sound very far fetched but it is a guess and only a guess.
      "Sharndarm" sounds to me like the French word for cop and I don't know how to
      spell it but I think it begins with a geu. A French police officer looks
      very militaristic to my eye. Now in trying to explain a European would
      perhaps have a grasp of a few french words in attempting to explain his job.
      Somehow I don't think your father world have known the word "copper" other
      such term.

      See it you can find police uniforms of the period for Bratislava.

      Caam
    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2000
        Good shot, Caam!

        I have seen "Gendarmerie" in a Hungarian book and would swear I have seen in
        in Slovak references as well. There was a close relationship to the French
        in some circles and borrowing words was quite common. A Bratislava
        policeman sounds like the right uniform to look for! Back then I suppose it
        was a Hungarian uniform in Posony. (the book shows the abbreviation of
        "Gendarmerie" as "Gend.")

        Ron

        > In a message dated 10/29/00 2:50:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        > jkosar@... writes:
        >
        > > My father was
        > > a "sharndarm", phonetic, pictures show him in a military type
        > > uniform. If anyone can help, please be my guest. Thanks
        >
        > John,
        >
        > This may sound very far fetched but it is a guess and only a guess.
        > "Sharndarm" sounds to me like the French word for cop and I don't know how
        > spell it but I think it begins with a geu. A French police officer looks
        > very militaristic to my eye. Now in trying to explain a European would
        > perhaps have a grasp of a few french words in attempting to explain his
        job.
        > Somehow I don't think your father world have known the word "copper" other
        > such term.
        >

        > See it you can find police uniforms of the period for Bratislava.
        >
        > Caam

      • Jozef Porubcansky
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2000
          Before 1945, policeman in Slovakia was called "z^anda'r" or
          "s^anda'r", phonetically "shandar".

          Jozef

        • qt41059@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2000
            The word you are looking for is "Gendarme" indeed it a term for a french
            police officer. Hope this helps
            Kate