Budapest records

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 29, 2000
      How would I go about obtaining a death record from Budapest, and
      possibly a marriage record? The death of Aladar Silhavy was about late
      1930's early 1940's, or possibly during WW2, and the marriage of Anna
      Silhavy occurred between 1932 and 1957.

      I have looked in the FHC catalog, and even ordered a Budapest directory
      but the Silhavy family was not listed. There are many church records
      filmed but the time period is too early, plus I do not know where the
      family lived other than I would gather it would be near the main post
      office in Budapest since that is where Aladar Silhavy worked.

      I have written to the main post office now asking if they had any
      information on Aladar Silhavy but never answered. Writing to current
      relatives there seems also to be futile (but I am gearing up to give it
      another try).

      I had originally (two years ago) written to an archives in Budapest
      asking for the death info only to be told basically they could not find
      anything.

      Anyone had any experience with any archives in Budapest? Would
      appreciate any advice or suggestions.

      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 29, 2000
        You might take a look here:
        http://user.itl.net/~glen/Hungarianbeginners.html

        Let's answer a question for the benefit of everyone: does the Family
        History Library have church records for what a pen-pal of mine in Budapest
        calls "daily Hungary" -- that is, the country in its modern borders?

        > How would I go about obtaining a death record from Budapest, and
        > possibly a marriage record? The death of Aladar Silhavy was about late
        > 1930's early 1940's, or possibly during WW2, and the marriage of Anna
        > Silhavy occurred between 1932 and 1957.
        >
        > I have looked in the FHC catalog, and even ordered a Budapest directory
        > but the Silhavy family was not listed. There are many church records
        > filmed but the time period is too early, plus I do not know where the
        > family lived other than I would gather it would be near the main post
        > office in Budapest since that is where Aladar Silhavy worked.
        >
        > I have written to the main post office now asking if they had any
        > information on Aladar Silhavy but never answered. Writing to current
        > relatives there seems also to be futile (but I am gearing up to give it
        > another try).
        >
        > I had originally (two years ago) written to an archives in Budapest
        > asking for the death info only to be told basically they could not find
        > anything.
        >
        > Anyone had any experience with any archives in Budapest? Would
        > appreciate any advice or suggestions.

        > http://community.webtv.net/mpetzolt2/helpfulhints
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 29, 2000
          My other thought is, to get on one of those e-lists for Hungarian research,
          and see if you can find some kind person who will go look something up for
          you.

          > How would I go about obtaining a death record from Budapest, and
          > possibly a marriage record? The death of Aladar Silhavy was about late
          > 1930's early 1940's, or possibly during WW2, and the marriage of Anna
          > Silhavy occurred between 1932 and 1957.
          >
          > I have looked in the FHC catalog, and even ordered a Budapest directory
          > but the Silhavy family was not listed. There are many church records
          > filmed but the time period is too early, plus I do not know where the
          > family lived other than I would gather it would be near the main post
          > office in Budapest since that is where Aladar Silhavy worked.
          >
          > I have written to the main post office now asking if they had any
          > information on Aladar Silhavy but never answered. Writing to current
          > relatives there seems also to be futile (but I am gearing up to give it
          > another try).
          >
          > I had originally (two years ago) written to an archives in Budapest
          > asking for the death info only to be told basically they could not find
          > anything.
          >
          > Anyone had any experience with any archives in Budapest? Would
          > appreciate any advice or suggestions.

          > http://community.webtv.net/mpetzolt2/helpfulhints
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        • Dollins
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000

            >Let's answer a question for the benefit of everyone: does the Family
            >History Library have church records for what a pen-pal of mine in Budapest
            >calls "daily Hungary" -- that is, the country in its modern borders?

            Check out the location of your choice at the library's online catalog:
            http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=l
            ocalitysearch&columns=*,180,0

            You'll have to type in the name of the town you're interested in. Or just
            type Hungary to see general records that are in the library.

            Anabeth Dollins
            axd2@...
          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
              My impression is that you can find church records for specific places, like
              Budapest, but I don't know if the coverage of the country is as complete as
              it is for Slovakia (with the exception of the south-central records located
              at Banska' Bystrica, because they are still being copied).

              > >Let's answer a question for the benefit of everyone: does the Family
              > >History Library have church records for what a pen-pal of mine in
              Budapest
              > >calls "daily Hungary" -- that is, the country in its modern borders?
              >

              > Check out the location of your choice at the library's online catalog:

              http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlc/supermainframeset.asp?display=l
              > ocalitysearch&columns=*,180,0
              >
              > You'll have to type in the name of the town you're interested in. Or just
              > type Hungary to see general records that are in the library.
              >
              > Anabeth Dollins
              > axd2@...

            • Judy/Dick James
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
                Can anyone tell me which of the LDS films would contain a birth registration
                which has a title of Budapesti VIII. keruleti allami anyakonyvvezetoseg
                6163 szam 1900
                Birth date: October 24, 1900
                Would there be any additional information to what is on the official copy
                that I now have?

                Any information would be appreciated.
                Judy

              • sabinov@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
                  Thanks Andrea,

                  I went to that page, most of which dealt with finding a place of origin
                  using US records but some of the links went to some Budapest sites.
                  Unfortunately my email to the director of the Budapest City Archives
                  came back "user unknown"......

                  I had previously written to the archives on Leonardo DaVinci street, I
                  think that was the state archives.

                  But I think my best bet is to buckle down and try once again to write to
                  the Silhavy's still living in Budapest. I'll need to find someone to
                  translate that into Hungarian. I am starting to get involved in the
                  Sister City organization here in Mobile, as we are sister cities with
                  Kosice, so maybe someone at one of the meetings will speak Hungarian.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
                    I'd go browse the collection and look for it -- does keruleti mean Catholic?

                    > Can anyone tell me which of the LDS films would contain a birth
                    registration
                    > which has a title of Budapesti VIII. keruleti allami anyakonyvvezetoseg
                    > 6163 szam 1900
                    > Birth date: October 24, 1900
                    > Would there be any additional information to what is on the official copy
                    > that I now have?
                    >
                    > Any information would be appreciated.
                    > Judy

                  • Judy/Dick James
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 31, 2000
                      I'm sorry, but I don't know what any of the words mean. I just copied them
                      from the certified copied of the birth.

                      Judy

                      > I'd go browse the collection and look for it -- does keruleti mean
                      Catholic?

                    • Frank Kurchina
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 31, 2000
                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Judy/Dick James" <jajames@c...>
                        wrote:
                        > I'm sorry, but I don't know what any of the words mean. I just
                        copied them
                        > from the certified copied of the birth.
                        >
                        > Judy

                        kerületi = district
                        állami = state, public
                        anyakönyv+vezeto"ség = vital records registry + management
                        szám = number

                        Read magyar but don't speak it.
                        Without accent marks you can often get different word meanings.
                        For example, török = Turkish , while torok = throat

                        Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék)
                        So the Hungarian records that the Mormons filmed were for
                        Upper-Hungary, or the Highlands were for Slovakia.
                        Think that none of the regional Slovakia State Archives have
                        equipment for making copies of microfilms.

                        For Hungary you could write the Hungarian National Archives
                        in Budapest. But need to write in Hungarian.

                        The LDS also filmed the records that were in the Hungarian National
                        Archives in the 1960s.

                        Look in FH Library catalog under Hungary (not Slovakia)
                        Microfilms are listed by place name and by religion.

                        For example, Budapest

                        Római Katólikus Egyház
                        Evangélikus Egyház
                        Görögkeleti Magyar Egyház
                        Református Egyház
                        etc

                        Read 55 entries just under Budapest.
                        Buda and Pest used to be separate towns.
                        Some early records may be listed under only one name or the other.

                        Hungarian English
                        rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
                        ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
                        izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

                        For Budapest (city) you need the district name or address to locate
                        records, which is what your title looks like ?

                        Also the appropriate megye (county) provincial archives may
                        have records (probably the more recent records) if outside of
                        Budapest.

                        Research in Hungary is regulated by privacy law and records have
                        to be a certain age before they can be accessed.

                        birth records : before 1910 (last 90 years N/A)
                        marriage records : before 1940 (last 60 years N/A)
                        death records : before 1970 (last 30 years N/A)

                        In Hungarian the parish church records are titled anyakönyvek.

                        Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

                        Nem. No. See above.