Kosarko/Matyik family

  • John Kosarko
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2000
      My father, Michael Kosarko, born 1882, and my mother, Barbara Matyik,
      born 1895, came from Brataslavia in the early 1900's. My father's
      brother Paul and sister Bertha came over later, My mother's brothers
      Andy, Mike and Steve also came in the early 1900's. My mother came
      over on the SS Rotterdam, not sure of the year. My father was
      a "sharndarm", phonetic, pictures show him in a military type
      uniform. If anyone can help, please be my guest. Thanks
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2000
        I knew some Kosarkos in Lakewood, California, during the 1960's. One of
        them later worked for a radio network, I believe. The daughters were Diane
        and Cynthia, the elder. Not that this helps your inquiry, but they might be
        a branch of your family.

      • caam704@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2000
          In a message dated 10/29/00 2:50:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          jkosar@... writes:

          > My father was
          > a "sharndarm", phonetic, pictures show him in a military type
          > uniform. If anyone can help, please be my guest. Thanks

          John,

          This may sound very far fetched but it is a guess and only a guess.
          "Sharndarm" sounds to me like the French word for cop and I don't know how to
          spell it but I think it begins with a geu. A French police officer looks
          very militaristic to my eye. Now in trying to explain a European would
          perhaps have a grasp of a few french words in attempting to explain his job.
          Somehow I don't think your father world have known the word "copper" other
          such term.

          See it you can find police uniforms of the period for Bratislava.

          Caam
        • Ron Matviyak
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 29, 2000
            Good shot, Caam!

            I have seen "Gendarmerie" in a Hungarian book and would swear I have seen in
            in Slovak references as well. There was a close relationship to the French
            in some circles and borrowing words was quite common. A Bratislava
            policeman sounds like the right uniform to look for! Back then I suppose it
            was a Hungarian uniform in Posony. (the book shows the abbreviation of
            "Gendarmerie" as "Gend.")

            Ron

            > In a message dated 10/29/00 2:50:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            > jkosar@... writes:
            >
            > > My father was
            > > a "sharndarm", phonetic, pictures show him in a military type
            > > uniform. If anyone can help, please be my guest. Thanks
            >
            > John,
            >
            > This may sound very far fetched but it is a guess and only a guess.
            > "Sharndarm" sounds to me like the French word for cop and I don't know how
            > spell it but I think it begins with a geu. A French police officer looks
            > very militaristic to my eye. Now in trying to explain a European would
            > perhaps have a grasp of a few french words in attempting to explain his
            job.
            > Somehow I don't think your father world have known the word "copper" other
            > such term.
            >

            > See it you can find police uniforms of the period for Bratislava.
            >
            > Caam

          • Jozef Porubcansky
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 29, 2000
              Before 1945, policeman in Slovakia was called "z^anda'r" or
              "s^anda'r", phonetically "shandar".

              Jozef

            • qt41059@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 30, 2000
                The word you are looking for is "Gendarme" indeed it a term for a french
                police officer. Hope this helps
                Kate