Re: Slovak nobility?

  • Ylbrd@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 30, 1999
      In a message dated 7/30/99 10:49:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      rmharing@... writes:

      > How common was the practice that existed in both my father's and
      > mother's Slovak family? They said you named children first of all after the
      > Holy Family - so everybody had a Mary and a Joseph and Mary's cousin
      > Elizabeth, and then there was Anne, an aunt in Catholic tradition. Michael

      I have 3 pages of Slovak Birth records in front of me from 1870's, Out of 24
      entries there are 8 Janos (John), 5 Maria's(Mary), 3 Anna's, 4
      Andro's(Andrew), 2 Gyorgy's (George), 1 Istvan (Stephan)........
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 30, 1999
        Hmmm. But godparents often were in-laws, a custom of great practical
        benefit to the amateur genealogist.

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 31, 1999
          My father had 2 brothers with the name Joseph Kubla, then a Josephina. These three
          died before he had another brother Joseph who lived and is still living. I think I
          would have quit after the first one.

          John J. Kubla

        • RMH
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 31, 1999
            Whoops - forgot John, for John the Baptist. But no Josephs at all on that
            list? And I have father, grandfather, brother, and uncle named Andrew (and a
            French b-in-law Andre) - Andrew being one of the twelve. Stephen the first
            martyr. Hmm - why George?

          • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 31, 1999
              Ahoj!
              George was for the Dragon Slayer considered to be protector of Christian
              Church.

              He also took on many aspects of the ancient Slavic sun-god. You see him
              pictured on a white horse, this was the ancient symbol for the sun-god.

              His name day is also in middle of Spring, April 23rd, so many customs
              and traditons deal with spring and fertility are practiced during this
              time. The sun is getting stronger, new life coming forth from the
              earth.....

              Happy hunting everyone!

              Mark