Re: Research in Yugoslavia

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 29, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:
      > This brings up an interesting issue. We know that there was a large
      Slovak
      > community in Yugoslavia (using the word in a regional sense; who can
      keep up
      > with all the border changes?) since the 18th century when a number
      of
      > Protestant Slovaks went to Vojvodinia in Serbia, I believe. As I
      recall,
      > these are the people whose Slovak was essentially unchanged. If you
      > remember a man named Ondrej something who used to post on Slovak
      World
      > during the war with Serbia a couple of years ago -- I guess I must
      have been
      > participating that long although it seems hard to believe -- he was
      one of
      > those ethnic Slovaks in Serbia, or his family (before moving to
      Canada).

      > All of which is a confusing way of reminding the list here that we
      know very
      > little about Slovaks in central and eastern Europe outside of
      Slovakia.
      > Lots of them went to Budapest and other parts of modern Hungary,
      looking for
      > work, while other family members came over here. Unfortunately, the
      > magyarization policies of the Hungarian government were such that
      few of
      > these people, if any, retain a Slovak identity or knowledge of the
      language.
      > However, that need not mean that they don't know where they came
      from. I
      > did find some people of my surname in the Hungarian phone book, and
      plan to
      > write them and ask how they are connected -- I will have to write in
      > Hungarian, of course, assuming that they no longer speak Slovak.
      >
      > It's also possible that the family is originally Hungarian, but
      please!
      > enough complication for one morning. Now about Yugoslavia, and
      especially
      > Serbia. I think that it ought to be possible for us to make some
      kind of
      > contact with people searching for their roots in those countries.
      There
      > must be lists for genealogy -- war or no war, life goes on, and the
      recent
      > fighting did not affect the whole region. I am going to see if I
      have an
      > e-mail address for Ondrej the Serbian Slovak and ask him, but how
      about a
      > check of Rootsweb etc.?
      >
      > It seems reasonable that a Slovak who went to Yugoslavia would have
      chosen
      > to settle either in a big city or in a part of the area where other
      Slovaks
      > were living, would have joined the local Slovak church of whatever
      > affiliation, etc. So don't give up before you try to find that
      missing
      > great-aunt.

      Vojvodina (C/S) Vajdaság (H) Wojwodina (G)
      In order to attract Serbs to Hungary's southern border, the
      emperor around 1690 decreed that they could elect their own
      ruler, or vojvoda (Duke), hence the name of territory derives.

      In 1700, perhaps 70,000 Serbs crossed into Vojvodina (eastern
      Slavonia, Bac^ka, and Banat)
      The Hapsburg authorities encouraged other ethnicities of their
      empire to settle there as well, including Germans and Croats from
      west and Slovaks and Rusyns from the north.

      When the failed Hungarian Revolution of 1848-1849 errupted, the
      Serbs in Vojvodina were the first to revolt.
      With the help of the Russian Tsar's armies, the new emperor Franz
      Joseph I, put down the Hungarian revolution.

      At the end of WW 2 (1946), the former Yugoslavia kingdom was replaced
      by the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia , a federation of six equal
      republics.
      The six republics that formed the former Yugoslavia were :
      Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia,
      and Serbia.

      Of these, Serbia changed substantially from its pre-WW I boundaries.
      The southern part of Serbia became the republic of Macedonia.
      And the three ethnically diverse territories of Serbia, Syrmia,
      Bac^ka, and Banat became the autonomous region of the Vojvodina.

      In 1991-1992 the former Yugoslavia ceased to exist with the beginning
      of the Balkan civil wars.
      In 1981 Yugoslavia's ethnolinguistic composition had been 8 million
      Serbs, 4.5 million Croats, 2 million Bosnians; and of the 15
      minorities, 80,000 Slovaks.
    • fedzy06
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 12, 2014
        Hello,
        surname Janček was very rare in Vojvodina and existed only in Kovačica(Banat region).