Origin of Surname Pereksta

  • spoppclark
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2010
      Hello. I'm new to the group. In reading through earlier postings I've seen some discussion of the meanings of surnames. So - a question for those having knowledge of 19th century (or earlier) linguistics.

      My ggrandfather Ivan Pereksta was born in Prislop in what is now eastern Slovakia in 1857 and baptized Greek Catholic. I have found 3 households with Pereksta/Perekszta listings in the church records for Starina and Prislop during the mid-1800s. I've not looked at earlier records, but am examining neighboring village church records. So far I've not found any other men with the surname. The oldest male I have found with the name is a Peter Pereksta dying in Prislop in 1863 aged 83.

      In America all Pereksta's found have roots in Starina or Prislop. If I read the 1995 Slovak census correctly there were 19 occurances of the surname, most in far eastern Slovakia.

      There is a family story that the name was "made up" when someone married a Greek Catholic woman against his family's wishes. Does this seem plausible? And if so, is there any meaning to the name, bearing in mind this was a 19th/18th century Rusyn family?

      All opinions most welcome! Thanks. Susan