Ships arrivals

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2000
      First of all, you'd have to know if Jan 11 was the date of embarkation
      or date of arrival, and what port they arrived at.

      Secondly, likely it would be NY as it was busiest, so you can order the
      microfilm of arrivals which you can get via your local FHC. A guide to
      doing this is on my Hints page, url below.

      I would -not- recommend anyone send for ship manifests from NARA for a
      few reasons -- first of all, it's more expensive, the charge as of Nov 1
      is $17.50 for a photocopy of one page IF they find it. Secondly, it can
      take up to six months to get it, and that's only if they find it. You
      can do it yourself much easier, cheaper and quicker.

      All NARA costs are going up Nov 1, basic charges going from $10 to
      $17.50 up to $35 for some military records. A great incentive to do it
      by searching the records yourself.

      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching