are passenger records available?

  • Dianne
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 17, 2010
      i love the family search.org records.....i've found so much info and very quickly.  i was told that my grandfather came to the US in 1886.  i was hoping that there are ships records i got also go through to check on this.

      thanks again....

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 17, 2010
        Most people of that era went through Ellis Island.

        http://www.ellisisland.org/ http://www.ellisisland.org/

        but a better way to search is using this:
        http://www.stevemorse.org/

        Bill

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 17, 2010
          thank you bill....but was there a port in maryland?  someone told me that my grandmother came through there....

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 17, 2010
            Hello Dianne,

            Baltimore. However, I am no expert on domestic matters. You may want to read this http://tinyurl.com/y7crhuy

            I believe ancestry.com may have digitized the Baltimore records. www.ancestry.com costs money, that's why I always start with Ellis. There may also be microfilms at the Family History Center, I do not know. There are lots of we sites, not-specific to Slovakia that can help you with US immigration records.

            Another research tradition that seems to have fallen on deaf ears is that of "lookups". We always used to post lookup requests on our lists. Often a member who has paid access to a service will do a look-up for nothing but a "thank you." I encourage readers of this list to consider this option if you're on a budget (like most of us!)

            Do you have her first papers, alien registration or immigration file? These will indicate authoritatively what port she arrived in.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 17, 2010
              On Apr 17, 2010, at 8:14 PM, Bill Tarkulich wrote

              > I believe ancestry.com may have digitized the Baltimore records. www.ancestry.com
              > costs money, that's why I always start with Ellis. There may also
              > be microfilms at the Family History Center, I do not know. There
              > are lots of we sites, not-specific to Slovakia that can help you
              > with US immigration records.

              Many libraries now have Ancestry Library Edition (which, by the way,
              is the international edition, with Canadian and other records). It's
              a great alternative to paying for a subscription.

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...
            • M Jenner
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 17, 2010
                You may want to check the Castle Garden records. Ellis Island was not in existence in 1886. Here is the link: http://www.castlegarden.org/searcher.php

                ________________________________
                i love the family search.org records..... i've found so much info and very quickly. i was told that my grandfather came to the US in 1886. i was hoping that there are ships records i got also go through to check on this.

                thanks again....

              • spoppclark
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 18, 2010
                  A hint if you have trouble finding your grandfather in the American records - try the German port records. I've had great luck with the Hamburg Passenger Lists that Ancestry.com has. They record passengers leaving Hamburg (records also exist for Bremen) and seem to have more accurate indexing of Eastern European names. Once I find a relative in the German emigration lists I have a date and ship name to focus on for the US Immigration records. I found my aunt Zuzanna this way. She was indexed as Zuzie in the Hamburg lists but as Luria in the American lists.
                  Susan

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Dianne <diannemills@...> wrote:

                  > i love the family search.org records.....i've found so much info and very quickly.  i was told that my grandfather came to the US in 1886.  i was hoping that there are ships records i got also go through to check on this.
                  >
                  > thanks again....

                • mbrkr55
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 21, 2010