Re: [S-R] Village of Ganovce

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14, 2010
      Dear Tom,

      Today, Poprad, and therefore the first village just southwest of it-GANOVCE-, is in fact under the "jurisdiction" of Presov.  Levoca is closer, true, but is considered the seat of the "okres" (which is smaller than the "samospravny kraj.")  Therefore, Poprad too is the seat of its own "okres."

      To give you an idea, the license plates tell you more about the "okres..." For example, if you go to Poprad, which is in Presov's jurisdiction, one will see "PP-*****" and in Levoca: "LE-*****"

      Therefore, he would be right to start in Ganovce (a hint, the Matrika or Office of Registers in is the village Horka for villages starting from the next village out- Hozelec- and therefore Matricny urad v Poprade will be a good start as well), perhaps out to Levoca, and further and further out, as people did in fact move.  Here is that first link: http://www.poprad.sk/?id_menu=1245

      Fun Fact: Ganovce has a geyser, a meteorology station,  and is actually the village that taught us the most about the intelligence of the neanderthal- it was here that they found the petrified brain case of a Ice-age neanderthal!!!! For Slovak speakers, I would point you to the 5-volume history of Slovakia _Stopy davnej minulosti_ by Pavel Dvorak... he spends much quality time covering this discovery. How would that ancestor be in a family tree? :-D

      Ben