Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Humenne, Slovakia

  • sunysa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 28, 2000
      My ancestors lived in Jasenov, and attended the Catholic church in Humenne.
      Some of the surnames that I am researching are HORVAT, HARAKAL, PETROVCSAK,
      MARCINCSAK, CSERHIT, CSAMAK, TKATSIK, REGENA, KOVAC. If anyone is
      researching these names, please contact me.

      Paul Horvat
      sunysa@...
    • Karen Norton
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 5, 2001
        Dear Amy,
        I noticed your posting about your ancestors from Humenne on Slovak-Roots. I
        meant to contact you sooner. I also have ancestors from Humenne, my
        great-grandfather, Andrew Harvan. He was born April 10, 1864 in Humenne and
        emigrated to the U.S., settling in Bridgeport, CT. I know the LDS has
        filmed this town but have not had the chance yet to review them. My Harvan
        line was Roman Catholic. Was interested to know the names of your
        grandparents, if you have gone through any of the LDS films, and, if yes,
        have you come across the Harvan name?

        Karen Norton
        45 Golden Hill
        Lee, MA 01238

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Karen Norton" <knorton2@h...> wrote:
          > Dear Amy,
          > I noticed your posting about your ancestors from Humenne on
          Slovak-Roots. I
          > meant to contact you sooner. I also have ancestors from Humenne, my
          > great-grandfather, Andrew Harvan. He was born April 10, 1864 in
          Humenne and
          > emigrated to the U.S., settling in Bridgeport, CT. I know the LDS
          has
          > filmed this town but have not had the chance yet to review them. My
          Harvan
          > line was Roman Catholic. Was interested to know the names of your
          > grandparents, if you have gone through any of the LDS films, and, if
          yes,
          > have you come across the Harvan name?
          >
          > Karen Norton
          > 45 Golden Hill
          > Lee, MA 01238

          The Slovakia telephone directory currently lists 13 surname Harvan
          under Humenné.
        • Lanny Walker
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 8, 2001
            I have just stated researching my Grandfather Pal Janos Kalina b. 1880
            Ujbanya Hungary. Now Nova Bana,Slovakia.

            Does anyone know where to find the White pages, I can find Yellow Pages on
            the Web but not White pages?

            Thanks,
            Lanny Walker

            > I noticed your posting about your ancestors from Humenne on
            Slovak-Roots. I
            > meant to contact you sooner. I also have ancestors from Humenne, my
            > great-grandfather, Andrew Harvan. He was born April 10, 1864 in
            Humenne and
            > emigrated to the U.S., settling in Bridgeport, CT. I know the LDS
            has
            > filmed this town but have not had the chance yet to review them. My
            Harvan
            > line was Roman Catholic. Was interested to know the names of your
            > grandparents, if you have gone through any of the LDS films, and, if
            yes,
            > have you come across the Harvan name?
            >
            > Karen Norton
            > 45 Golden Hill
            > Lee, MA 01238

            The Slovakia telephone directory currently lists 13 surname Harvan
            under Humenné.
          • Gregory J. Kopchak
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 8, 2001
              We keep links to updated phone books of the world at

              http://www.iarelative.com/web_find.htm

              The URL for the Slovak White Pages is

              http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html

              Greg Kopchak
              It's All Relative

            • frankur@att.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 9, 2001
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Lanny Walker" <lanny@k...> wrote:

                > I have just stated researching my Grandfather Pal Janos Kalina b.
                1880
                > Ujbanya Hungary. Now Nova Bana,Slovakia.
                >
                > Does anyone know where to find the White pages, I can find Yellow
                Pages on
                > the Web but not White pages?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Lanny Walker

                Don't know your surname.

                Nová Ban^a means 'new mine' in Slovak, as does its
                Hungarian name U'jbánya. It was located near a Slovakia
                mining region, either gold or copper ?

                János (H) Jan (Sv) John (E)
                Pal (H) Pavol (Sv) Paul (E)

                The Czech Republic telephone directory lists 200 surname Kalina
                bearers just under Praha, the Czech capital.

                Besides being a Czech name it can also be a Polish surname.

                As a result there are probably 1000-1500 surname Kalina
                bearers just in the U.S.

                The surname Kalina was associated pre-WW I with 4 counties in
                Hungary plus Budapest and 4 former Hungarian counties located in now
                Slovakia.

                R.C. parish church records exist for Nová Ban^a (1648-1895)
              • Lanny Walker
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 11, 2001
                  I need a Slovak to English Translation program or at least good dictionary.

                  Does a free program exist or will I have to purchase one and if so where is
                  the best place to buy one.

                  Thanks again

                  Lanny Walker