Re: [S-R] found a record....translation help please

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 11 10:59 PM
      Dianne,
      Your grandfather would have been from Austria-Hungary. The Austria-Hungarian Empire was founded 1867 and ended in 1918 when it was on the loosing side of WW I.
      The area we know as Slovakia today was controlled or been a part of another country for more than 900 years. First the Hungarians ruled. Then the Austria-Hungarian Empire. After WW I there was Czechoslovakia. An "artificial" country created after WW I. Finally, in 1992 Slovakia became an independent country.

      From: CurtB <curt67boc@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, April 11, 2010, 7:24 PM

      ??

      Michael and Diane,

      The SZ in hungarian is not just a pairing, the group is a distinct letter of the Hungarian alphabet.

      Diane did not misread the entry. She is correct. The family name name is actually Zseller, the maiden name of the wife is Bernat. Compare this entry to others on the page, and this is clear. The status of the family is listed as "gazda" at the end of the entry, not zeller.

      Curt B.