Re: [S-R] driving in Slovakia

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 7, 2010
      Lots of good advice and opinions. I see an international drivers license as a waste of time and money. I was never asked for one in 10 years - and I had one fora single year of that. Otherwise police and border people were content with the standard US license - which, by the way, you must have along with your international license.

      I have had my best luck booking a car on line before I went. Check not just your standard US insurance but your Visa card, often both offer some coverage on rentals, up to 3 weeks, where you don't have ot buy the supplemental insurance. Talk to your insurance agency.

      Oh, don't forget you need vignettes - freeway stickers - to allow you to drive in SK & CZ, one for each. The SK should come with an SK rental, and if you ask it may come with CZ as well. I believe they sell them for various periods of time as well as annually. If you get stopped without one or for any other reason, roadside fines are possible. Just ask for your receipts on the spot, that is to keep the cops honest. They will look pretty funky, so don't be surprised at him ripping them off of a pad of cheap printed paper.

      Get to know the road signs and speed limits ahead of time. Prague to Stara Lubovna was a hard 10 hour drive or 12 hours with reasonable breaks and skipping a lot of beautiful places in between. Consider making it a part of the tour with stops here & there. Look for a place to stay on the outside of Prague, it is a terrible city to drive in and worse to find a place to park. They have great subway, streetcar & bus connections.
    • Gloria
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 7, 2010
        I thought I told you about car rental with Cimcak car rental out of Kosice. He has a web site. Lower than the others.
        No international license is needed for SK or poland. We were there in Oct.09. His cars have GPS and radio. He will meet you at the
        airport. Pick you up at your hotel in Kosice or leave car at hotel when finished. Roads are good in SK. Better than South Carolina at the moment.

        Gloria Kurbanick

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 7, 2010
          one thing that doesn't get factored in - Prague is huge and the highway goes right thru the city and skirts the national museum, there is just a lot of traffic all the time

          so travel calculations can give you the time from place to place but add in another hour to get in or out of prague.

          sometimes it seems impossible to get from one street to another due to one ways or  somehow you end up on a highway.

          the thing we most laugh at is they mark a turn differently than we do - sometimes way ahead and some times right on top of it.  We usually end up turning around and going back to get it right the second time.

          don't think either country has right on red.

          I was taught there to use signals when passing - even if only a bicyclist.

          sometimes, surprise, someone passes you on the right - and they have never heard of defensive driving. Used to go too fast thru villages but new speed limits help there.

          helene

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 7, 2010
            Turn signals.
            American's are notoriously bad at using them. In Slovakia they them for every maneuver other than going straight. Even if you are on the road that has the right of way and you come to a "Y" intersection. You are suppose to signal if you are taking the left of right, be the right of way road or not. Basically, when in doubt - signal your intention. After spending month long trips to Slovakia my signaling has become automatic, even back home.
            Not using your turn signal can get you pulled over in Slovakia.
            There are also road side check points in Slovakia. If you are signaled to pull-over do so. There is zero tolerance for drinking and driving.

            I know this has been discussed many times however, I would like to know a few more things about driving in Slovakia. Do you need to get an International drivers license? What about special insurance? If you are making your own travel arrangements where and how do you rent a car?
            Is it difficult to reserve a car, by this I mean are the numbers of vehicles for rent limited?
            After driving in Slovakia you then decide you want to go to Prague, do you continue to drive? I would think driving into Prague would be a crazy idea. Any suggestions?

          • Vladimir Linder
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 7, 2010
              For years I have been renting from:

              ADVANTAGE CAR RENTALS

              www.acr.sk

              email:office@...

              Call Milan Mjartan at: 011-421-2-62410-510

              or cell:011-421-903-460-605

              Great deals, great cars, great service

              Vlad
            • Cathie McAdams
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 8, 2010
                The benefit from the International Driver License is the translation.  We rented at Eurocar in Kosice and that attendant used it even though he was fluent in spoken English.  Our rental was about $37.00/day.  Make sure you get at least the liability coverage.

                If you are driving in a country other than Slovakia, you should get the road permit for the other country(ies) that you are planning to see.  That will allow you to purchase gasoline.  However, we bought gas in northern Hungary and no one asked to see our permit.  It also gives you the liability coverage in that country.

                Always, always, turn your headlights on, no matter the time of day.  It is their law.  But you would think that the rental companies, knowing this, would wire the car so the headlights come on when the engine is on.  Also, the headlights do not turn off by themselves like the newer cars here.  We had a mid-size newer Skoda in June.  This was not the law in 2006.

              • Paul Guzowski
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 8, 2010
                  Sharon et al,

                  I have been working on a rather longish paper with tips on travel
                  to/from and around Slovakia but have not quite finished it yet. That
                  said, I decided to post the portion I wrote on driving in Europe in
                  general and, more specifically, in Slovakia and its immediate neighbors.
                  What I say is based on living/working nearly 20 years in Europe, the
                  last two of which were in Bratislava, SK. I believe the following to be
                  factual unless I state it as my opinion.

                  I had a company rental car while I was in Bratislava but only drove it
                  to/from work and if I needed to travel outside the city. This was for a
                  couple of reasons. Parking in Bratislava is problematic, navigating the
                  city was not easy due to many one-way and some pedestrian-only ones, and
                  lastly because fuel is so expensive there. As of this writing, a gallon
                  of unleaded regular will set you back about $6.50 and a gallon of diesel
                  will be a little less. Normally, if I needed to go somewhere in the
                  city, I either walked or took the tram or bus.

                  The public transportation is inexpensive and reliable. If you will only
                  be in Bratislava for a few days or up to a week, the Bratislava City
                  Card (€8 for 3 days or €12 for 7 days) is a very good deal. It offers
                  unlimited travel on Bratislava's public transportation and you can read
                  more about it here:
                  (http://www.bratislavaguide.com/public-transport-bratislava). Taxis are
                  also abundant and reasonably priced so I occasionally used one to go
                  to/from a company dinner if the public transportation did not stop
                  nearby, especially if I wanted to drink a beer or glass of wine with my
                  dinner.

                  Traveling outside Brastislava is easiest by train, in my opinion. The
                  trains are clean, comfortable, fast, and run on schedule. Additionally,
                  they generally take you from city center to city center which is very
                  convenient for the average tourist.

                  Renting a car in Europe is not difficult but there are a few things to
                  watch out for that are different from what you may be used to in the US
                  or Canada. To begin with, rates will generally be higher and will be out
                  of sight if you want to rent one place and drop off in another. I had a
                  friend who rented a car in Budapest and after a couple of weeks of
                  driving dropped it off at the Vienna International Airport and the
                  drop-off charge was a couple of hundred dollars.

                  If you do rent a car in Europe, be sure to take the collision damage
                  waiver insurance even though it costs a bit more. The European auto
                  rental agencies inspect their cars before and after rental with a fine
                  tooth comb and if they find some scratch or dent even if it is minor you
                  will be billed. And while we are talking about the insurance, be sure to
                  read the small print of the international insurance green card and the
                  rental agreement. Many rental agencies restrict into which countries you
                  can drive the car. This is based on historical accident and theft
                  rates.

                  When you rent a car in Europe, expect to get a standard transmission and
                  don't be surprised if the car does not have air conditioning. I would
                  recommend a diesel if you can get it because they have much lower fuel
                  consumption and the fuel is cheaper than gasoline.

                  In my six years in eastern/central Europe, we had a couple of rental
                  cars stolen. Even though most cars have alarms, I'd suggest buying a
                  steering wheel blocking device. You will see them in most cars and cars
                  without them are easier targets for thieves. Also, NEVER EVER leave the
                  car unlocked for a moment, even at a petrol station or in a car park
                  while you are putting things in the trunk. One of my colleagues was
                  marked leaving the bank and when he got to the parking lot one thief let
                  air out of his tire and while my colleague was checking it out, the
                  other one stole valuables from the car.

                  Never anything of value visible in the car for any period of time and
                  don't leave anything of value anywhere in the car overnight. One of my
                  Slovak colleagues left his backpack in the trunk of locked car in a
                  parking garage while he ran into the mall to the ATM. When he got back,
                  the backpack with his expensive camera and laptop in it was gone. In
                  another case, our team had been traveling across Slovakia on a long trip
                  and they stopped for dinner at a restaurant. The left their briefcases
                  in the locked trunk and when they got back to the car after dinner all
                  of the cases were gone along with the five company laptop computers they
                  were carrying.

                  If you will be driving in Slovakia, your US driving license is valid but
                  in some other countries you need to have an international driving
                  permit. Austria is such a country and if you are stopped for even a
                  minor infraction on Austria's roads and you don't have an EU driving
                  license or international driving permit, the fine is €500. It is worth
                  $15 to get an international driving permit (a translation of your US
                  license) from the local AAA office before you depart the US if you will
                  be driving in Europe.

                  I would also encourage anyone who wishes to drive in Europe to study the
                  signs and road regulations very carefully. This includes the default
                  speed limits which are something we in the US are not normally familiar
                  with. When I was in Slovakia, the default speed limits unless otherwise
                  posted were 60kph (36 mph) within city limits (denoted by the city limit
                  signs entering and exiting the town), 90 kph (55 mph) on two lane roads
                  outside city limits, and 130kph (80mph) on divided motorways. Of course,
                  any posted limit takes precedence over the defaults. Some other
                  considerations are in the following paragraphs.

                  Talking on a mobile phone while driving is strictly forbidden and while
                  you may see it happening the ban is strictly enforced. Wearing seat
                  belts is required for all occupants of the vehicle, too. Drivers must
                  carry a reflective vest in the car and must wear it if stopped on the
                  shoulder to change a tire or carry out any other actions.

                  Many European countries now require cars to have lights on during
                  daylight hours. This varies by country so it is best to do your homework
                  for the countries in which you will drive. For example, in Hungary you
                  have to have your lights on whenever you leave the city limits during
                  all times of the year. In Slovakia, between 15 October and 15 March, you
                  must have your lights on at all times regardless of the time of day.
                  This is easy to forget when the sun is shining in the middle of the day.
                  I was stopped twice when I forgot to turn my lights back on after
                  leaving a petrol station.

                  There is virtually no such thing as a four-way stop in Europe. Most
                  intersections will be controlled in one direction or the other and the
                  priority road always has the right of way. At uncontrolled
                  intersections, the driver on the right has the right of way as does the
                  driver on your right on a multi-lane highway if he/she wants to move
                  left. Additionally, while they are slowly starting to appear in the US,
                  most Americans will be surprised by the number of traffic circles and/or
                  roundabouts in Europe. There are special right-of-way rules for
                  roundabouts and you can read more about them here:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout

                  In Europe, the left lane (right lane in UK) on a divided highway is for
                  passing only. The American habit of cruising in the left lane is
                  illegal, is not tolerated, and you will be fined. You must always drive
                  as far right as you can if the lane to the right is clear regardless of
                  how fast you are driving. This helps keep traffic moving since it is
                  strictly forbidden to pass any vehicle on the right.

                  Police procedures in several European countries allows for “spot fines”
                  for smaller infractions of the traffic code. This is true in Slovakia so
                  it is always good to have at least €40 with you to avoid the hassle of
                  following up on a traffic violation later. If you pay one, make sure you
                  get a receipt. The idea of trying to talk your way out of a fine is not
                  normal in Europe and it could even exacerbate your situation so I would
                  recommend against it. When I first got to Central Europe in 2001, I
                  heard stories about putting some money in your driving license when you
                  hand it over to the policeman so that he would overlook your infraction.
                  This practice may have been prevalent and perhaps even tolerated in
                  former times but is not tolerated in the European Union. There are
                  anti-corruption agents monitoring for this and you may even face
                  allegations of bribery.

                  In many countries in Europe, travel on the motorways is not free. In
                  France and Italy one stops periodically to pay a toll but in other
                  countries you have to buy a toll sticker called a “vignette” in
                  many/most non-English speaking European countries. This is true for
                  Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, and the Czech Republic. In Slovakia, these
                  toll stickers which are required for the use of the motorways, are
                  available in several categories depending on the vehicle's weight. They
                  can be purchased for one year, one week, and one month with prices as
                  follows for vehicles under 3.5 tons:

                  Annual: €36.50

                  One Month: €09.90

                  One Week: €04.90

                  Finally, tolerance for drinking and driving is more strict than it is in
                  the US and it varies by country
                  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving_law_by_country). In Slovakia
                  and Hungary, there is zero tolerance while Austria allows up to 0.05%
                  for experienced drivers. In six years in central Europe I encountered a
                  number of sobriety checkpoints where I was required to take a
                  breathalyzer test even though I had committed no infraction. One time,
                  my car was hit in a parking lot accident while I was in a business
                  meeting during my time in Bratislava. When I arrived on the scene, the
                  police required me to take a breathalyzer test even though I was nowhere
                  near the car at the time of the accident. When I questioned this, I was
                  told it was standard procedure. Therefore, I highly recommend public
                  transportation or a taxi if you will be enjoying Slovakia's wonderful
                  beers and wines while dining and you don't have a designated driver.

                  As for driving to Prague, I'd personally recommend taking the train
                  instead. It is fast, cheap, and worry free. Driving back and forth on
                  the motorway is not such a big deal but navigating around in the city
                  and finding a safe place to park the car is a headache. Once in the
                  Prague, the public transportation is cheap and can get you anywhere you
                  want to go in the city as a tourist.

                  I hope this information will be useful to someone. I know it has been a
                  long post but I wanted to get a few things out to the group, especially
                  the point about International Driving Permits being required to drive in
                  Austria. I will try to finish up the rest of my tips and will save the
                  file to the group's file space when I do.

                  Paul in NW Florida
                • m ivanov
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 8, 2010
                    I am going to Slovakia this summer and your information is wonderful. Thank you for sharing with me.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 8, 2010
                      No further responses to this topic, please. It is off-topic.

                      Thank you,

                      Bill Tarkulich
                      Moderator