[S-R] Re: Maria Pilat 1857 Remenye/Remeniny - Church Slavoni c

  • haluska
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3 1:23 PM
      Thanks Bill! 2 thumbs up.

      > Specifically, it is Church Slavonic
      >
      > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/church_slavonic.htm
      >
      > http://digi.perseus.sk/Inst/Azbuka.gif
      >
      > The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2001-07.
      >
      > Church Slavonic
      >

      > language belonging to the South Slavic group of the Slavic subfamily of the
      > Indo-European family of languages (see Slavic languages). Although it is
      > still the liturgical language of most branches of the Orthodox Eastern
      > Church, Church Slavonic is extinct today as a spoken tongue. In its earliest
      > period, from the 9th to 11th cent. A.D., this language is variously termed
      > Old Church Slavonic, Old Church Slavic, or Old Bulgarian. The year 1100 is
      > the conventional dividing line between the ancestor, Old Church Slavonic,
      > and its descendant, the later Church Slavonic, which flourished as the
      > literary language of a number of Slavic peoples before the 18th cent. Old
      > Church Slavonic was created in the 9th cent. by St. Cyril and St. Methodius
      > for their translation of the Gospels and other religious texts. Scholars
      > disagree as to which spoken Slavic dialect was chosen by the two saints as
      > the basis for the language of their translations. In any case, because this
      > dialect was inadequate for their purpose, they had to enrich and transform
      > it, drawing on the vocabulary and syntax of Greek. Old Church Slavonic is
      > the first Slavic language known to have been recorded in writing. Two
      > alphabets were devised for it, the Glagolitic and the Cyrillic. Tradition
      > makes St. Cyril the inventor of both, although this view has been
      > questioned; and both alphabets are said to have been derived in part from
      > the Greek. The earliest suriving documents in Old Church Slavonic date from
      > the 10th and 11th cent. In time, as the South and East Slavic tongues
      > influenced this literary language in their respective regions, three major
      > forms of the later Church Slavonic arose: Bulgarian, Serbian, and Russian.
      > For various historical reasons, Russian Church Slavonic eventually became
      > the dominant form. The Western Slavs were not caught up in this development,
      > since they came under the domination of the Roman Catholic Church after the
      > 11th cent. At first employed for religious writings, Church Slavonic later
      > came to be used in secular compositions as well. Today it is written in the
      > Cyrillic alphabet. 1
      > See G. Nandris, Handbook of Old Church Slavonic (1959); H. G. Lunt, Old
      > Church Slavonic Grammar (4th ed. 1966); R. Picchio and H. Goldblatt, ed.,
      > Aspects of the Slavic Language Question (Vol. 1, 1984).
      >

      > Bill

    • Ron
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3 2:41 PM
        Dennis,

        This is why I proposed looking at Steve Morse' Cyrillic website.
        http://stevemorse.org/russian/cyrprintcurs.html?font=print

        When I find a family name in Cyrillic I plan on working it up on the Morse site in Cursive Cyrillic, large and small case. Then in the future I expect it will be easier to recognize the same name again, even if it is 6 months from now and there was a change in priests and in personal handwriting.

        Just a suggestion -

        Ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

        > Jacques,
        >
        > Thanks for the confirmation! Because it is written I am having trouble
        > seeing it. I thought cyrillic possibly.
        >
        > Dennis
        >

        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jcotteret" <jacques.cotteret@>
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > Dennis, It is written in Cyrillic Handscript.Yes Peter Pilat is quoted
        > and so is Maria Gacha.
        > >
        > > Have a nice day
        > >
        > > Jacques
        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" ddhalusker@ wrote:
        > > >

        > > > I recieved a birth entry from the village of Remeniny from my cousin
        > > > the other day and I have yet to come across script of this nature.
        > > >
        > > > We/I have some troubles with translation as I only can google at
        > this
        > > > point. Can you great people take a look at the file I posted for
        > Maria
        > > > Pilat 1857 and tell me please if this is the daughter of Peter Pilat
        > and
        > > > Maria Gaca. Maria is line 22 and I cut the line out to high light
        > it.
        > > >
        > > > I can only make out Maria and could read in Gaca if I tried hard.
        > The
        > > > house number is correct as is the village of Remeniny/Remenye.
        > > >
        > > > I wonder why her father is not listed or is he? Peter died in 1889
        > so he
        > > > should be mentioned by tradition,correct?
        > > >
        > > > I value all the input I can get from you guys,Thanks!
        > > >
        > > > Veselu Velku noc / Christos Voskrese!
        > > >
        > > > Dennis

      • haluska
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4 4:47 AM
          I use some of his other sites but I did not know he had this one!
          Thanks Ron
          Happy Easter to everyone!