Maria Pilat 1857 Remenye/Remeniny

  • haluska
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
      I recieved a birth entry from the village of Remeniny from my cousin
      the other day and I have yet to come across script of this nature.

      We/I have some troubles with translation as I only can google at this
      point. Can you great people take a look at the file I posted for Maria
      Pilat 1857 and tell me please if this is the daughter of Peter Pilat and
      Maria Gaca. Maria is line 22 and I cut the line out to high light it.

      I can only make out Maria and could read in Gaca if I tried hard. The
      house number is correct as is the village of Remeniny/Remenye.

      I wonder why her father is not listed or is he? Peter died in 1889 so he
      should be mentioned by tradition,correct?

      I value all the input I can get from you guys,Thanks!

      Veselu Velku noc / Christos Voskrese!

      Dennis
    • jcotteret
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
        Dennis, It is written in Cyrillic Handscript.Yes Peter Pilat is quoted and so is Maria Gacha.

        Have a nice day

        Jacques
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

        > I recieved a birth entry from the village of Remeniny from my cousin
        > the other day and I have yet to come across script of this nature.
        >
        > We/I have some troubles with translation as I only can google at this
        > point. Can you great people take a look at the file I posted for Maria
        > Pilat 1857 and tell me please if this is the daughter of Peter Pilat and
        > Maria Gaca. Maria is line 22 and I cut the line out to high light it.
        >
        > I can only make out Maria and could read in Gaca if I tried hard. The
        > house number is correct as is the village of Remeniny/Remenye.
        >
        > I wonder why her father is not listed or is he? Peter died in 1889 so he
        > should be mentioned by tradition,correct?
        >
        > I value all the input I can get from you guys,Thanks!
        >
        > Veselu Velku noc / Christos Voskrese!
        >
        > Dennis

      • haluska
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
          Jacques,

          Thanks for the confirmation! Because it is written I am having trouble
          seeing it. I thought cyrillic possibly.

          Dennis

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jcotteret" <jacques.cotteret@...>

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
            Specifically, it is Church Slavonic

            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/church_slavonic.htm

            http://digi.perseus.sk/Inst/Azbuka.gif

            The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2001-07.

            Church Slavonic

            language belonging to the South Slavic group of the Slavic subfamily of the
            Indo-European family of languages (see Slavic languages). Although it is
            still the liturgical language of most branches of the Orthodox Eastern
            Church, Church Slavonic is extinct today as a spoken tongue. In its earliest
            period, from the 9th to 11th cent. A.D., this language is variously termed
            Old Church Slavonic, Old Church Slavic, or Old Bulgarian. The year 1100 is
            the conventional dividing line between the ancestor, Old Church Slavonic,
            and its descendant, the later Church Slavonic, which flourished as the
            literary language of a number of Slavic peoples before the 18th cent. Old
            Church Slavonic was created in the 9th cent. by St. Cyril and St. Methodius
            for their translation of the Gospels and other religious texts. Scholars
            disagree as to which spoken Slavic dialect was chosen by the two saints as
            the basis for the language of their translations. In any case, because this
            dialect was inadequate for their purpose, they had to enrich and transform
            it, drawing on the vocabulary and syntax of Greek. Old Church Slavonic is
            the first Slavic language known to have been recorded in writing. Two
            alphabets were devised for it, the Glagolitic and the Cyrillic. Tradition
            makes St. Cyril the inventor of both, although this view has been
            questioned; and both alphabets are said to have been derived in part from
            the Greek. The earliest suriving documents in Old Church Slavonic date from
            the 10th and 11th cent. In time, as the South and East Slavic tongues
            influenced this literary language in their respective regions, three major
            forms of the later Church Slavonic arose: Bulgarian, Serbian, and Russian.
            For various historical reasons, Russian Church Slavonic eventually became
            the dominant form. The Western Slavs were not caught up in this development,
            since they came under the domination of the Roman Catholic Church after the
            11th cent. At first employed for religious writings, Church Slavonic later
            came to be used in secular compositions as well. Today it is written in the
            Cyrillic alphabet. 1
            See G. Nandris, Handbook of Old Church Slavonic (1959); H. G. Lunt, Old
            Church Slavonic Grammar (4th ed. 1966); R. Picchio and H. Goldblatt, ed.,
            Aspects of the Slavic Language Question (Vol. 1, 1984).

            Bill

            wrote:

            > Dennis, It is written in Cyrillic Handscript.Yes Peter Pilat is quoted
            and so is Maria Gacha.

            > Have a nice day
            >
            > Jacques
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" ddhalusker@ wrote:
            > >

            > > I recieved a birth entry from the village of Remeniny from my cousin
            > > the other day and I have yet to come across script of this nature.
            > >
            > > We/I have some troubles with translation as I only can google at
            this
            > > point. Can you great people take a look at the file I posted for
            Maria
            > > Pilat 1857 and tell me please if this is the daughter of Peter Pilat
            and
            > > Maria Gaca. Maria is line 22 and I cut the line out to high light
            it.

            > > I can only make out Maria and could read in Gaca if I tried hard.
            The
            > > house number is correct as is the village of Remeniny/Remenye.
            > >
            > > I wonder why her father is not listed or is he? Peter died in 1889
            so he
            > > should be mentioned by tradition,correct?
            > >
            > > I value all the input I can get from you guys,Thanks!
            > >
            > > Veselu Velku noc / Christos Voskrese!
            > >
            > > Dennis

          • haluska
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
              Thanks Bill! 2 thumbs up.

              > Specifically, it is Church Slavonic
              >
              > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/church_slavonic.htm
              >
              > http://digi.perseus.sk/Inst/Azbuka.gif
              >
              > The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2001-07.
              >
              > Church Slavonic
              >

              > language belonging to the South Slavic group of the Slavic subfamily of the
              > Indo-European family of languages (see Slavic languages). Although it is
              > still the liturgical language of most branches of the Orthodox Eastern
              > Church, Church Slavonic is extinct today as a spoken tongue. In its earliest
              > period, from the 9th to 11th cent. A.D., this language is variously termed
              > Old Church Slavonic, Old Church Slavic, or Old Bulgarian. The year 1100 is
              > the conventional dividing line between the ancestor, Old Church Slavonic,
              > and its descendant, the later Church Slavonic, which flourished as the
              > literary language of a number of Slavic peoples before the 18th cent. Old
              > Church Slavonic was created in the 9th cent. by St. Cyril and St. Methodius
              > for their translation of the Gospels and other religious texts. Scholars
              > disagree as to which spoken Slavic dialect was chosen by the two saints as
              > the basis for the language of their translations. In any case, because this
              > dialect was inadequate for their purpose, they had to enrich and transform
              > it, drawing on the vocabulary and syntax of Greek. Old Church Slavonic is
              > the first Slavic language known to have been recorded in writing. Two
              > alphabets were devised for it, the Glagolitic and the Cyrillic. Tradition
              > makes St. Cyril the inventor of both, although this view has been
              > questioned; and both alphabets are said to have been derived in part from
              > the Greek. The earliest suriving documents in Old Church Slavonic date from
              > the 10th and 11th cent. In time, as the South and East Slavic tongues
              > influenced this literary language in their respective regions, three major
              > forms of the later Church Slavonic arose: Bulgarian, Serbian, and Russian.
              > For various historical reasons, Russian Church Slavonic eventually became
              > the dominant form. The Western Slavs were not caught up in this development,
              > since they came under the domination of the Roman Catholic Church after the
              > 11th cent. At first employed for religious writings, Church Slavonic later
              > came to be used in secular compositions as well. Today it is written in the
              > Cyrillic alphabet. 1
              > See G. Nandris, Handbook of Old Church Slavonic (1959); H. G. Lunt, Old
              > Church Slavonic Grammar (4th ed. 1966); R. Picchio and H. Goldblatt, ed.,
              > Aspects of the Slavic Language Question (Vol. 1, 1984).
              >

              > Bill

            • Ron
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
                Dennis,

                This is why I proposed looking at Steve Morse' Cyrillic website.
                http://stevemorse.org/russian/cyrprintcurs.html?font=print

                When I find a family name in Cyrillic I plan on working it up on the Morse site in Cursive Cyrillic, large and small case. Then in the future I expect it will be easier to recognize the same name again, even if it is 6 months from now and there was a change in priests and in personal handwriting.

                Just a suggestion -

                Ron

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

                > Jacques,
                >
                > Thanks for the confirmation! Because it is written I am having trouble
                > seeing it. I thought cyrillic possibly.
                >
                > Dennis
                >

                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jcotteret" <jacques.cotteret@>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > Dennis, It is written in Cyrillic Handscript.Yes Peter Pilat is quoted
                > and so is Maria Gacha.
                > >
                > > Have a nice day
                > >
                > > Jacques
                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" ddhalusker@ wrote:
                > > >

                > > > I recieved a birth entry from the village of Remeniny from my cousin
                > > > the other day and I have yet to come across script of this nature.
                > > >
                > > > We/I have some troubles with translation as I only can google at
                > this
                > > > point. Can you great people take a look at the file I posted for
                > Maria
                > > > Pilat 1857 and tell me please if this is the daughter of Peter Pilat
                > and
                > > > Maria Gaca. Maria is line 22 and I cut the line out to high light
                > it.
                > > >
                > > > I can only make out Maria and could read in Gaca if I tried hard.
                > The
                > > > house number is correct as is the village of Remeniny/Remenye.
                > > >
                > > > I wonder why her father is not listed or is he? Peter died in 1889
                > so he
                > > > should be mentioned by tradition,correct?
                > > >
                > > > I value all the input I can get from you guys,Thanks!
                > > >
                > > > Veselu Velku noc / Christos Voskrese!
                > > >
                > > > Dennis

              • haluska
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 4, 2010
                  I use some of his other sites but I did not know he had this one!
                  Thanks Ron
                  Happy Easter to everyone!