Neistaad-Nountia

  • bojomo42
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2010
      Can anyone help me put this village into a country or specific area. I
      found the notation on a US WWII Draft Registration Card that placed it
      in Poland. The printing is very clear. Others have told me that it was
      in Russia or Romania but I can find no mention of it anywhere. Any
      help would be appreciated.

      Thank You,

      Joanne Liston
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2010
        Nothing even close in our region of research. Double-A? Try
        Netherlands.

        Bill

        On Apr 2, 2010, at 7:28 PM, "bojomo42" <bojomo@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone help me put this village into a country or specific area. I
        > found the notation on a US WWII Draft Registration Card that placed it
        > in Poland. The printing is very clear. Others have told me that it was
        > in Russia or Romania but I can find no mention of it anywhere. Any
        > help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thank You,
        >
        > Joanne Liston

        > ! Groups Links

      • Ron
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2010
          If we stand by your statement that the printing is very clear, then Bill is right, the Netherlands would seem to be the place to seek.

          However, I tried www.Google.de which I use to get a broader view of European hits than www.google.com will give us. It also comes up with no hits as you spell it.

          So I tried phonetic modification, as German pronunciation will emphasize the second vowel while we in the US emphasize the first. So I tried "Niestaad" and then "Niestadt", the latter which would translate to "NoCity" or perhaps "NoWhere" if you are looking for fun meanings.

          Google.de asked if I might mean Neustadt, but I am only willing to take one leap of faith here so i am ignoring that and going with their offerings for Niestadt Polen (Poland). There is such a place and it is the site of a peace agreement between Sweden, Russia and Poland in 1721.

          That is as far as I will take speculation. If you want better help, you might scan the document and post it in the Files section of S-R.

          Ron

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bojomo42" <bojomo@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone help me put this village into a country or specific area. I
          > found the notation on a US WWII Draft Registration Card that placed it
          > in Poland. The printing is very clear. Others have told me that it was
          > in Russia or Romania but I can find no mention of it anywhere. Any
          > help would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thank You,
          >
          > Joanne Liston

        • ROBERT LISTON
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2010
            Ron,
            Family members have left for home and the house is quiet now so I took the time to post the pics you asked for in the Oszuszka folder in the photo section of SR. Now, I guess I will put the house back together. I thank you for your help.
            Joanne

            ________________________________
            If we stand by your statement that the printing is very clear, then Bill is right, the Netherlands would seem to be the place to seek.

            However, I tried www.Google.de which I use to get a broader view of European hits than www.google.com will give us. It also comes up with no hits as you spell it.

            So I tried phonetic modification, as German pronunciation will emphasize the second vowel while we in the US emphasize the first. So I tried "Niestaad" and then "Niestadt", the latter which would translate to "NoCity" or perhaps "NoWhere" if you are looking for fun meanings.

            Google.de asked if I might mean Neustadt, but I am only willing to take one leap of faith here so i am ignoring that and going with their offerings for Niestadt Polen (Poland). There is such a place and it is the site of a peace agreement between Sweden, Russia and Poland in 1721.

            That is as far as I will take speculation. If you want better help, you might scan the document and post it in the Files section of S-R.

            Ron

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com, "bojomo42" <bojomo@...> wrote:

            > Can anyone help me put this village into a country or specific area. I
            > found the notation on a US WWII Draft Registration Card that placed it
            > in Poland. The printing is very clear. Others have told me that it was
            > in Russia or Romania but I can find no mention of it anywhere. Any
            > help would be appreciated.
            >
            > Thank You,
            >
            > Joanne Liston

          • Samuel Ontko
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2010
              Neustadt, Poland </wiki/Poland> (now Kudirkos Naumiestis
              </wiki/Kudirkos_Naumiestis>, Lithuania </wiki/Lithuania>),