Re: [S-R] SURNAMES-Wachtenheim-Szolyva/Svaliava

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2010
      Daniel,
      Of Svaliava. It is in the Ukraine, but some distance from the Slovak border. The same border existed for Czechoslovakia. So Svaliava was never in Czechoslovakia. It is in the Carpathian Mountains of the Ukraine.
      Does your father relate to being Slovak or Ukrainian?

      I concur with Helena about genealogy in Slovakia. I made my first trip to Slovakia in 2001. Making six trips all together. On meeting my paternal relatives I was very surprised how little they knew of their ancestors. Eventually I came of with a "Rule of Thumb", that being, "If they did not meet them, they do not know them." It was only during the last two trips they the Slovak relatives began to understand my interest in genealogy. They too, would react to others in the village with the same surname as not family members. Eventually, I learned that there were recognized branches of the family, three of them. Only those that were of the same branch were looked upon as being "family". Interestingly, they recognized other branches of the family as being cousins and so forth. But they were not "family". One of the results of my visits is they are now understanding there is a much larger "family tree" they all belong to.
      With such lack of genealogical knowledge do not be surprised that your relatives too do not know who they are related to.
      Michael Mojher

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1, 2010
        My Szolyva grandmother Mariska (Mary) Vikuk Kristen was totally thrilled when she heard in 1988 that I was researching the family history. A few of her sons/daughters thought, 'what a waste of time. The past is the past.' Well, whenever I came across a relative with that attitude, little did they know that their comment/s made me dig even deeper! I've discovered that geneaology is a hobby that a person either loves or hates. I love it as I've always wanted to know 'where I came from' and especially where my first ancestor came from (and now that the DNA testing is available, that's right up my alley of interests).

        On my Italian side, I came across two different branches of Peruccas and Origliassos; each in the same family branch said that they weren't related to the other branch, yet none of them had ever done any research. I got the same response from one of the Perucca relatives whom I knew just had to be related to me, and thankfully he did something about it when he received my inquiry letter back in 1991. He had the town council do the research for him on his branch of the Perucca family; it took a year, but one day in the mail I received the whole family tree of his Perucca branch which proved that he and I were definitely related; I'm from the other Perucca branch, yet both branches have the same common ancestor back to the 1700s in Italy.

        So when the same surname family says they aren't related to others who have their same surname, I really don't believe it unless it's been proven right or wrong.

        Nancy

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 1, 2010
          Janet,
          Thanks for the correction. I found a pre-WW II map. There is a "tongue" of territory that extended further to the southeast. That area was given to the Ukraine after WW II.

          Michael, that region of old Bereg county became a part of Czechoslovakia
          between WWI and WWII, after which time it became part of Ukrainian SSR and
          now Ukraine.

          Daniel, are you in contact with Frank Jacobowitz through JewishGen? His
          family, also from Szolyva, was related to the Wachtenheim family, and he
          apparently has information to share.

          Janet

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 3, 2010
              Hi Helene,
              Very interesting comments. I too wonder about relations of people with
              the same surname in the same area, and the people saying they weren't
              related.
              My thought is that the "rich" relatives, didn't need to know the poorer
              ones or they would have to help them, so if a distant cousin was poor, they
              then weren't related like immediate family was.
              My other thought was, as I mentioned, if the giving out of surnames then
              had unrelated families taking on the same surname and thus not being related,
              yet living in the same town with the same surname?

              DAniel Wachtenheim

              ________________________________
[...]

              _Reply to sender_ (mailto:helenezx@...?subject=Re: [S-R]
              SURNAMES-Wachtenheim-Szolyva/Svaliava) | _Reply to group_
              (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re: [S-R] SURNAMES-Wachtenheim-Szolyva/Svaliava) | _Reply
              via web post_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwbzczcDdqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwNjU3MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDA4MzcEbXNnSWQ
              DMjYwMzkEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMjcwMTIyNzky?act=reply&messageNum=2
              6039) | _Start a New Topic_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJkZHJrNzZvBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwNjU3MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUw
              NDA4MzcEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMjcwMTIyNzky)
              _Messages in this topic_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/message/26038;_ylc=X3oDMTM1M2hha210BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwNjU3MQRncnBzcElkAzE
              3MDUwNDA4MzcEbXNnSWQDMjYwMzkEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMjcwMTIyNzkyBHR
              wY0lkAzI2MDM4) (2)
              Recent Activity:
              * _New Members_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZnR1cjA0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwNjU3MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDA4
              MzcEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdm1icnMEc3RpbWUDMTI3MDEyMjc5Mg--?o=6) 1
              * _New Photos_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/spnew;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNzZlZG01BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwNjU3MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDA4Mzc
              Ec2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdnBob3QEc3RpbWUDMTI3MDEyMjc5Mg--) 9
              * _New Files_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbGs4NmwxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwNjU3MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDA4MzcE
              c2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdmZpbGVzBHN0aW1lAzEyNzAxMjI3OTI-) 8
              _Visit Your Group_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS;_ylc=X3oDMTJkcGFub2hwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwNjU3MQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDA4MzcEc2VjA3Z
              0bARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQMxMjcwMTIyNzky)

              To visit your group on the web, go to:

              _http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS_ (http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS) -or- send

              MARKETPLACE

              _Do More for Dogs Group. Connect with other dog owners who do more._
              (http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15ol7b9bu/M=493064.13983314.13965207.13298430/D=grou
              ps/S=1705040837:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1270129992/L=263ad8b4-3d85-11df-8b33-fb0b40
              7034b1/B=1IPtA9j8elo-/J=1270122792580580/K=ez91PQNP8twoVTd4KkOa6A/A=6046497/
              R=0/SIG=11jls91tg/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/domorefordogs)

              ____________________________________

              _Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like
              you._
              (http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15o5v8kfv/M=493064.13814537.13965224.10835568/D=groups/S=1705040837:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1270129992/L=263ad8b4-3d85-11df-8b
              33-fb0b407034b1/B=1YPtA9j8elo-/J=1270122792580580/K=ez91PQNP8twoVTd4KkOa6A/A
              =6042764/R=0/SIG=11jbo19n3/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/momconnectio
              n)

              ____________________________________

              _Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore
              new interests._
              (http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15offam5g/M=493064.14012770.13963757.13298430/D=groups/S=1705040837:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1270129992/L=263ad8b4-3
              d85-11df-8b33-fb0b407034b1/B=1oPtA9j8elo-/J=1270122792580580/K=ez91PQNP8twoV
              Td4KkOa6A/A=6015306/R=0/SIG=11vlkvigg/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/h
              obbiesandactivitieszone/)

            • jump4toys@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 3, 2010
                Hi Michael,
                Just to correct you, Svaliava is now located in the Ukraine. But before
                1918 I believe, it was Hungary, and then when my father was born in 1920, it
                was Czechoslovakia. During WW2, then it was Hungary again, and then after
                the war became Ukraine.
                I know because my father was a Czech citizen, but his older siblings were
                all Hungarian citizens.
                In my geneology research it made me insane to find family members with the
                name WAchtenheim from different cities, only to have someone on this board
                point out there were Czech names and Hungarian names, and Ukranian names
                for cities.
                Best

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 3, 2010
                  Janet,
                  I am not in touch with Frank Jacobowitz, but if he is related to the
                  WAchtenheims then I want to know him. I think he's related to that "other"
                  Wachtenheim family! Who I think must be related, but still.....I can't find
                  the common link yet, but they're all from Szolyva!
                  Do you have any contact information for Frank Jacobowitz?
                  DAniel WAchtenheim

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 4, 2010
                    I found your comments very interesting, Helene, as I did Michael's experiences along the same lines. While never having been to Slovakia to experience this myself - this feeling of why do you want to know, as well as "no, we are not related" - I can relate to it here stateside with my Irish line.

                    My grandmother has a fairly common Irish name, and there are many people of the same name in the area, including a family of the same name that runs a big business. I have always, for my whole life, been told that we are not related.

                    Sure enough, a cousin of mine who has done extensive research into this line, had found that we are indeed related - and not really all that distantly, relatively speaking. This family who runs the big business is descended from the same great-great-grandfather who came over in the 1880's.

                    I think it's just that not only do many people not care where they came from, and only know and care to know about their grandparents, but add into that the fact that so many people had so many kids and such big families, that it really can be difficult to keep track of the dozens and dozens and dozens of cousins and their families, and so on. So after a generation or two, no one knows where they came from and to whom they are related.

                    Rather sad, that so few are interested, but hopefully it will change.

                    My prediction is that genealogy may be the "next big thing". Between the Faces of America show, and the other show on NBC, and even more, the fact that Oprah had a show about these shows - well, when Oprah speaks, many listen. Perhaps she will be responsible for lighting a fire under a few more folks to get researching! Not a huge Oprah fan myself, but this might be a good thing!

                    Debbie

                  • gklodzen@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 5, 2010
                      There must be many stories like this and I agree with your analysis,
                      Debbie. Years ago my late cousin was told by another with the same unusual
                      surname as hers that they were not related. It was my good fortune to discover
                      via a search of church records that indeed they/we are descended, from the
                      same most recent Slovak ancestor. It has been a joy since that day to meet
                      many "new" cousins.

                      Eugene Klodzen

                    • billski
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 5, 2010
                        I've reformulated this discussion because the title quite a bit off the original topic
                        Re: [S-R] SURNAMES-Wachtenheim-Szolyva/Svaliava
                        and I'd like to draw attention to the hundreds of readers who may have elected to ignore the thread.

                        What Helene says rings true, I'll add one more story. I stayed in my villages of Zboj and Nova Sedlica for two weeks, spending the days and nights meeting and speaking with dozens and dozens of family and "relatives" of one sort or another.

                        What struck me at first, was that I seemed to know A LOT more about the family than anyone I met.

                        After about a week, I politely asked one of the elders why they never wrote these things down or knew much about their family history. The answer was quite telling. "Because we are surrounded by our family and our history. There is no need."

                        I left behind a small stack of paper including photographs which included family trees, history, and copies of church books. Never since that time did I receive any inquiry or comment on this material.

                        Only the photographs were of interest. "Yes, I can see we are related - look at that face."

                        Coming back to the US, that kind of bothered me, but I assumed they were too busy working to engage in such idle-time frivolity. Since that time, I've slightly adjusted my perspective. It seems, that regardless what country we live in, history of most sorts is disregarded. The essential question seems to be, "How can this information help me live my life today?" And, for the most part, it does not.

                        On both sides of the ocean, I slam into privacy concerns all the time. It seems to fall into two camps. The first is that it's going to get into sinister hands that will use the lineage information against them. The second is that "He must want something. Why is this guy fishing around about me? Does he want to take the family farm?"

                        Then comes the inevitable family gathering and some chit chat about family history. It's polite, it's cursory, old stories are told, and it ends.

                        I wish I could be as optimistic as Debbie. I don't think anything is changing. While access to records has become light speed, human interest in family history remains in the dark ages.

                        YOU are the family historian, like it or not. There is always one person in a generation of a family group who becomes the family historian. People come to me occasionally for information, but usually only to obtain a "sound byte" or a piece of trivia. Nobody asks, "what was life like?" "why did they come?" "How did they work?"

                        I take my unofficial role as family historian quite seriously. My work may be flawed, but it's all my family has. I've bundled up all sorts of material and sent it to relatives I believe most likely to hang onto it. My hope and wish is that my little "bundle" will inspire someone someday to pick up the torch and carry it. No need for them to start from scratch - take it to the next level. As each generation departs, we lose so much richness.

                        Bill
                      • CasperVeth@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 5, 2010
                          Wow - well said, Bill! You nailed it for the rest of us "historians."

                          Ray Veth - Middletown, NJ

                          In a message dated 4/5/2010 9:02:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          bill.tarkulich@... writes:

                          I've reformulated this discussion because the title quite a bit off the
                          original topic
                          Re: [S-R] SURNAMES-WachtenheiRe: [S-R] Re: [S-R] SUR

                        • MaryLou V. Crouch
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 5, 2010
                            Bill,
                            I haven't been on the forum much lately--focused on another family line
                            at the moment--but what you wrote really reflects my own experiences.

                            Family members are glad that I'm doing this work but when I ask for
                            contributions--any old documents, photos, stories, anything-- I get
                            nothing from them until someone dies and the household is being cleaned
                            out--then my requests are sometimes remembered and I am allowed to take
                            stuff that would be thrown out. I have found historical treasures this
                            way--beautifully decorated Baptismal documents that had been rolled up
                            and stored in an attic for ages, for example.

                            It is disheartening but I continue to work on the family history so
                            future generations will have something to build on. We are products of
                            that history not only physically but also emotionally, spiritually, and
                            intellectually.

                            I happened to see part of a PBS show with Dr. Dwyer (sp?) yesterday--he
                            was discussing "memes" which translated to cultural habits of mind, to
                            beliefs carried from one generation to the next, and to mannerisms or
                            habits within a family. One example he used: how the depression of the
                            1930s shaped his mother's life and perspective and her habits of saving,
                            reusing, being thrifty carried over to him as a part of who he is.

                            Part of our family history shows us what "memes" we carry within us--why
                            we think and act the ways we do. In many ways, I am glad the show "Who
                            Do You Think You Are?" is having great success. While very light on the
                            hardscrabble work of genealogy, the show does emphasize the impact of
                            family history on the individual and invites the audience members to
                            begin their own treasure hunt into the past.

                            Marylou

                            On 4/5/2010 9:00 AM, billski wrote:
> [...]
                            >
                            > I take my unofficial role as family historian quite seriously. My work may be flawed, but it's all my family has. I've bundled up all sorts of material and sent it to relatives I believe most likely to hang onto it. My hope and wish is that my little "bundle" will inspire someone someday to pick up the torch and carry it. No need for them to start from scratch - take it to the next level. As each generation departs, we lose so much richness.
                            >
                            > Bill

                            > Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:
                            >
                            > This message has NOT been classified as spam. If it is unsolicited mail (spam), click on the following link to reclassify it: http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_110&SPAM=true&path=C:\Users\Mary%20Lou\AppData\Local\Panda%20Security\Panda%20Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam

                          • Ron
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 5, 2010
                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "billski" <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:
                              The families puts up with my eccentric interest in family and culture and take it as a matter of fact now. The Europeans are interested in seeing and hearing how the American family is doing, and their eyes spark with interest when their current name is mentioned. Kids seem most interested in the distant cousins their own age.

                              But it seems everyone is wrapped up in everyday life, putting bread on the table and raising a family. So my work is for myself and my goal is to leave what I gather in a form that will be useful to someone in the next generation who may pick up an interest in it all when they get to that stage in life.

                              What I like best of all is your quotation:

                              "Because we are surrounded by our family and our history. There is no need."

                              Ron
                            • Jeanne Versweyveld
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 6, 2010
                                Bill,
                                You have expressed my feelings so to the point. For instance at a family birthday party for my 80 year old uncle a number of years ago, I distributed a simple form for birth, marriage, death dates for each twig on the tree-my cousins, my generation. Everyone knows what I am doing, they love looking at the 3" thick binder with family trees, photos, documents etc. But that is where it ends. Out of the dozen or so sheets I handed out not one was ever returned.
                                When I asked my mother's 98 year old cousin questions about the old country and why did my grandparents and her parents come here...she simply says it was never discussed. No discussion about their parents or their grandparents. It was just left behind. Traditions were brought over and sustained but no stories about the past. And quite frankly, I was too young to even know what to ask and now they are gone.
                                You are so right. We are the historians. We put ourselves in that role and regardless of whether or not others appreciate it, and I am sure they do, we should be proud of our accomplishments. For every piece of the puzzle I fit together, I am victorious! There will, hopefully, be someone in the next generation that will fill my shoes and continue. I can only pray for that.

                                Jeanne Ferris Versweyveld

                              • takukuk@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 6, 2010
                                  It seems like that is a story or condition that everyone of us can
                                  sympathize with. Kukuk

                                  In a message dated 4/6/2010 2:15:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time,

[...]

                                • Nancy Hayes
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 6, 2010
                                    The same thing has happened to me when I’ve sent family history forms for
                                    relatives to complete; I’ve gotten dirty looks about why I want to dig
                                    around in the past; the past is the past and leave it there (makes me wonder
                                    what they’re hiding!) lol Which only makes me want to find out even more!
                                    I talked to my mom about her family history when I started this hobby pretty
                                    seriously in the 1980s; she said that when she was a child, the rule in her
                                    parent’s house was, ‘children should only speak when they’re spoken to’. No
                                    wonder no one knows or cares about their past family history if all they
                                    ever got was negativity about asking.

                                    When I discovered all of my relatives & ancestors in Italy in 1991, I also
                                    discovered that only one cousin was the family historian for the Italian
                                    side; I’m the historian for the USA family side. My Italian cousin died a
                                    few years ago, and as far as I know, no one in her family or beyond has
                                    taken her place in this hobby. And no one even cares to write from over
                                    there, so I believe the hobby is dead for them. What a pity!

                                    Finding this group has revived my family history interest on my dad’s side
                                    of the family/my maiden name and a few others.

                                    Nancy

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 6, 2010
                                      I have given very serious thought to who is going to inherit my genealogy
                                      work when I die.

                                      For starters, all the copy-able material, including trees, photos, contact
                                      lists and letters will be distributed to multiple family lines. Maybe one
                                      will stick.

                                      Second, I am going to specify who is going to get my books, and other
                                      supporting documents. Some of it might go to one of the cultural or
                                      research groups. Some of the books I have are so difficult to obtain,
                                      that I'd hate to see them locked up. I'll be darned if I'm going to see
                                      people look at my books and say "hey, no interest, chuck it."

                                      Bill
                                    • deeellessbee
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 6, 2010
                                        Bill, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one, lol! I actually have it in my will as to who will get my genealogy stuff!

                                        My kids are both history buffs like myself (both are history majors in college) and hopefully that interest in history will spread to their own family history.

                                        As far as others in the family, NO ONE is interested - they don't even particularly like looking at pictures or talking about it at family gatherings. Some will listen for a bit, but then walk away to join other conversations. Some even roll their eyes when/if the discussion rolls round to genealogy.

                                        I have one third-cousin on my mom's side who is very avidly researching - he has gotten very far back in his own lines (hundreds of years!), and he even told me more about my Slovak and Russian side (my dad's side) than I knew! He's so into it that he researched all the little "twigs" as someone else called them, never mind his own main branches. So he knew more about my lines than I did. I've now caught up to him pretty well, in terms of research done, and investigating skills, etc., and we love to talk genealogy with each other, but we are the only two in a very large family who care about this. Very sad.

                                        On the bright side, I have recently found a cousin who IS into genealogy and who realizes the importance of it, and we now have a nice e-mail relationship (thanks to someone on this board, actually!)

                                        Like many of you, I will do this because it is important to me and I find it to be fun, and I will leave whatever I have and hopefully someone will appreciate it at some point in time!

                                        :)
                                        Debbie

                                        > I have given very serious thought to who is going to inherit my genealogy
                                        > work when I die.
                                        >
                                        > For starters, all the copy-able material, including trees, photos, contact
                                        > lists and letters will be distributed to multiple family lines. Maybe one
                                        > will stick.
                                        >
                                        > Second, I am going to specify who is going to get my books, and other
                                        > supporting documents. Some of it might go to one of the cultural or
                                        > research groups. Some of the books I have are so difficult to obtain,
                                        > that I'd hate to see them locked up. I'll be darned if I'm going to see
                                        > people look at my books and say "hey, no interest, chuck it."
                                        >
                                        > Bill

                                      • haluska
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 7, 2010
                                          I just hope you are not going anywhere soon Bill!

                                          Well said....