New file uploaded to website - translation help pls

  • kathiraisa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2010
      Hello,

      I have created a file on the Slovak-Roots website called "Petrik working book", which contains two pages from a book my grandfather called "My working book from old country". Would someone be able translate the hand written entries pls? I am not sure if it is in Hungarian or Slovak. I am especially interested in the paragraph on the lower right hand side of page 3 (2nd page Petrik work book) where it mentions Janos Petrik.

      Thank you for your help.

      Kathi-Raisa Petrick

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2010
        Hi Kathi-Raisa
        You did a great job posting! :)

        You might want to look at this page.
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/doc_1901_hungary_workbook_translatio.htm

        Jean Helbrecht took a crack at translating a work book a few years ago. I
        don't think it's complete, but it was a start. It would be nice to share
        your completed translation with others who come upon such books and not
        know what they are.

        Thanks,

        Bill

        On Tue, March 30, 2010 1:17 pm, kathiraisa@... wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I have created a file on the Slovak-Roots website called "Petrik working
        > book", which contains two pages from a book my grandfather called "My
        > working book from old country". Would someone be able translate the hand
        > written entries pls? I am not sure if it is in Hungarian or Slovak. I am
        > especially interested in the paragraph on the lower right hand side of
        > page 3 (2nd page Petrik work book) where it mentions Janos Petrik.
        >
        > Thank you for your help.
        >
        > Kathi-Raisa Petrick

        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
      • kathiraisa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30, 2010
          Thanks, Bill. :)

          Also thanks for pointing me to the page that shows the other workbook. Very interesting!

          Now will just wait and see if someone on the list is able to help with the handwritten part.

          Best regards,
          Kathi-Raisa

          Jean Helbrecht took a crack at translating a work book a few years ago. I
          don't think it's complete, but it was a start. It would be nice to share
          your completed translation with others who come upon such books and not
          know what they are.

          Thanks,

          Bill

          On Tue, March 30, 2010 1:17 pm, kathiraisa@... wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I have created a file on the Slovak-Roots website called "Petrik working
          > book", which contains two pages from a book my grandfather called "My
          > working book from old country". Would someone be able translate the hand
          > written entries pls? I am not sure if it is in Hungarian or Slovak. I am
          > especially interested in the paragraph on the lower right hand side of
          > page 3 (2nd page Petrik work book) where it mentions Janos Petrik.
          >
          > Thank you for your help.
          >
          > Kathi-Raisa Petrick

          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 30, 2010
            I recognize some of it right away on the left page:
            Kassa-Hormos - Kosice
            Abuj-Torna - county name
            Nagy Folkmar - village
            Szepes - county name

            See old maps here http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm for
            county and district names.

            On the other page, a lot of them use the same word -
            barna -brown
            most of them you can pick up from the FHL word list I previously mentioned.

            that's all I have time for
            Bill

            On Tue, March 30, 2010 3:58 pm, kathiraisa@... wrote:

            > Thanks, Bill. :)
            >
            > Also thanks for pointing me to the page that shows the other workbook.
            > Very interesting!
            >
            > Now will just wait and see if someone on the list is able to help with the
            > handwritten part.
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Kathi-Raisa

            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com
          • kathiraisa@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 30, 2010
              My grandfather, Gyorgy Petrik, was born in Kassa-Hamor (Kosicke Hamre), but his father Janos Petrik, was born in Nagy Folkmar, married in Kassa-Hamor, and died in Kosice. The marriage records, however, do not show the name of Janos' parents and as there are many, many Petriks in Nagy Folkmar (as per my grandfather all were related) I have never been able to establish who where Janos' parents and so on. As Janos name is mentioned in the work book I was hoping that the specific paragraph might shed some light on him.

              :)
              Kathi-Raisa

              I recognize some of it right away on the left page:
              Kassa-Hormos - Kosice
              Abuj-Torna - county name
              Nagy Folkmar - village
              Szepes - county name

              See old maps here http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm for
              county and district names.

              On the other page, a lot of them use the same word -
              barna -brown
              most of them you can pick up from the FHL word list I previously mentioned.

              that's all I have time for
              Bill

              On Tue, March 30, 2010 3:58 pm, kathiraisa@... wrote:

              > Thanks, Bill. :)
              >
              > Also thanks for pointing me to the page that shows the other workbook.
              > Very interesting!
              >
              > Now will just wait and see if someone on the list is able to help with the
              > handwritten part.
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Kathi-Raisa

              Bill Tarkulich