Families from Osada, Slovakia (Arva County)?

  • pschwartz2002
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2010
      Hello everyone,
      I'm new here and my Slovak family is from Osada, Slovakia. I am aware that the old village is now underwater (now the Orava Dam). My Great Grandmother Alzbeta left Osada with her husband Jan and their newborn daughter Mariska (my Grandmother) in May 1921. I know they left family behind in Osada and I am looking to connect my tree with any living relatives. I have a few pictures showing many relatives and a few letters that seems to be written in Slovak.

      looking for family of Stephan DLABIK
      Married Johanna JANECIK

      Children:
      John
      Stephan
      Michael
      Wendel
      Theodore
      Peter
      Mary
      Johanna
      Rosalie
      Anastasia
      Apolonia
      Margaret
      Alsbeta (Elizabeth) b. Nov. 16, 1900. (my Great Grandmother)
      Immigrated to USA through Ellis Island and settled in Plainfield, NJ. with her husband Jan (John) Guczky (Americanized name is now Goodski)

      Looking forward to share and swap information!
      Pamela Schwartz
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27, 2010
        Pamela,
        Here from the 1995 Slovakia Census are the results for Dlabik. The name has three spellings. One with no dialect marks and two with; over the " I " and the "A".

        All toll there were 64 listings for Dlabik, found in 27 locations
        .
        The first word in the list is the town name. If followed by "(obec NAME)" the obec name is the town and the first word an area of that town. Next comes "okr. NAME", this is the District the town is in. If that is followed by "od r. YEAR NAME" that is the District the town was in before the year. For you the District of Namestovo existed before 1996, being replaced by Dolny Kubin. Most like a realignment of districts were made after the lake behind the dam filled in.

        Two towns are in the District of Dolny Kubin; Oravska Polhora and Rabca have a total of six Dlabik living in them. They are neigboring towns on Highway 521 northwest of Vodna Nadrz Orava.

        Priezvisko DLABIK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 1×, celkový pocet lokalít: 1, v lokalitách:
        TRNAVA, okr. TRNAVA - 1×;

        Priezvisko DLABÍK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 3×, celkový pocet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
        ORAVSKÁ POLHORA, okr. DOLNÝ KUBÍN (od r. 1996 NÁMESTOVO) - 2×;
        HLOHOVEC, okr. TRNAVA (od r. 1996 HLOHOVEC) - 1×;

        Priezvisko DLÁBIK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 60×, celkový pocet lokalít: 24, najcastejsie výskyty v lokalitách:
        ZILINA, okr. ZILINA - 7×;
        RUZOMBEROK, okr. LIPTOVSKÝ MIKULÁS (od r. 1996 RUZOMBEROK) - 6×;
        HLOHOVEC, okr. TRNAVA (od r. 1996 HLOHOVEC) - 5×;
        ROZNOVÁ NEPORADZA (obec NEPORADZA), okr. TRENCÍN - 5×;
        RABCA, okr. DOLNÝ KUBÍN (od r. 1996 NÁMESTOVO) - 4×;
        BÁNOVCE NAD BEBRAVOU, okr. TOPOLCANY (od r. 1996 BÁNOVCE NAD BEBRAVOU) - 3×;
        KLOKOCINA (obec NITRA), okr. NITRA - 3×;
        TRNAVA, okr. TRNAVA - 3×;
        VÝCAPY-OPATOVCE, okr. NITRA - 3×;
        LANCÁR (obec KOCÍN-LANCÁR), okr. TRNAVA (od r. 1996 PIESTANY) - 2×;

        Janecik / Janecek In the census there were no listing for Janecik. A list of alternatives were given. One one name was found the District of Dolny Kubin, Janecek. In the town of Krusetnica were 28 of them. Krusetnica is just southwest of the lake. Just a few miles from Oravska Polhora and Rabca. This finding suggests the spelling of Johanna's surname might be Janecek.

        http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/oravskapolhora/oravska-polhora.html Information website for Oravska Polhora. Also a link to the town website.

        http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/rabca/rabca.html Information website for Rabca. Also a link to the town website.

        http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/krusetnica/krusetnica.html Information website for Krusetnica. Also a link to the town website.

        All of the town websites are in Slovak. Nonetheless they are fun to explore. Explore: Fotogaleria / Photo gallery, Mapa / Map, and Obec / City.

        You will see the information pages above give you e-mail addresses for contacting City Hall. English is now the second language of Slovakia. If you write an e-mail in the simple sentences it is possible someone will be able to read it. If someone at city hall cannot they will probably find the teacher of English to translate it.

        On one of my trips I stayed at a resort on Orava Lake. It is beautiful country. One arm of the lake extends into Poland.

        Michael Mojher

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 27, 2010
          >>> I am looking to connect my tree with any living relatives. <<<

          SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
          You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by looking them up in the phone book white pages at http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

          To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of last name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the web page.

          Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html
        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 27, 2010
            Hi Pamela - i have 7 people listing roots in Osada  ORAVA in the Slovak Pride data base and one lists the surname of Dlabik - get back to me directly at helenezx@... if you want more info.