Announcing a New Guide for locating Austro-Hungary Military Records

  • billski
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 27 10:18 AM
      Announcing a New Guide for locating Austro-Hungary Military Records

      Announcing a new guide to help researchers locate information about ancestors who may have served in the Austro-Hungarian Army. Carl Kotlarchik has generously shared his research knowledge on this subject in an easy-to read paper.

      Carl has put significant effort into describing the available resources and how to locate them for a specific individual from a specific region of the empire.

      The paper contains document samples, translation of key document headers, links to essential information and an extensive bibliography.

      The paper may be viewed or downloaded at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ahm.html.

      We all owe Carl a great debt of gratitude for sharing with us the knowledge he gained in his search.

      Excerpt:

      A Guide for Locating Military Records for the various

      Regions of the Austro-Hungarian Empire

      by Carl Kotlarchik

      While military records are usually considered a secondary resource for genealogical researchers, knowledge of military service adds depth to a family history and goes beyond just having a list of names and dates. It provides insight into what an ancestor may have experienced during their lifetime and gives a perspective of the history at that period.

      To find military records for the Austro-Hungarian Army, one first needs to determine where and how to look for them since they were kept at different locations during various periods of time. The records were also kept differently for the various states within the Empire. Consequently, it can be a little confusing if one does not understand a bit about the history of the Austrian Empire and the subsequent Austro-Hungarian Empire.

      Read more: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ahm.html
    • Carl
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 27 4:26 PM
        Many, many thanks to Bill Tarkulich for providing a host site for my guide. I would also like to thank him for all his constructive suggestions and all the work that he did to post the web page. Unfortunately, Bill inadvertently put an extra period in the web site address. Here is the correct link. http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ahm.html
        Carl Kotlarchik

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "billski" <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

        > Announcing a New Guide for locating Austro-Hungary Military Records
        >
        > Announcing a new guide to help researchers locate information about ancestors who may have served in the Austro-Hungarian Army. Carl Kotlarchik has generously shared his research knowledge on this subject in an easy-to read paper.
        >
        > Carl has put significant effort into describing the available resources and how to locate them for a specific individual from a specific region of the empire.
        >
        > The paper contains document samples, translation of key document headers, links to essential information and an extensive bibliography.
        >
        > The paper may be viewed or downloaded at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ahm.html.
        >
        > We all owe Carl a great debt of gratitude for sharing with us the knowledge he gained in his search.
        >
        > Excerpt:
        >
        > A Guide for Locating Military Records for the various
        >
        > Regions of the Austro-Hungarian Empire
        >
        > by Carl Kotlarchik
        >
        > While military records are usually considered a secondary resource for genealogical researchers, knowledge of military service adds depth to a family history and goes beyond just having a list of names and dates. It provides insight into what an ancestor may have experienced during their lifetime and gives a perspective of the history at that period.
        >
        > To find military records for the Austro-Hungarian Army, one first needs to determine where and how to look for them since they were kept at different locations during various periods of time. The records were also kept differently for the various states within the Empire. Consequently, it can be a little confusing if one does not understand a bit about the history of the Austrian Empire and the subsequent Austro-Hungarian Empire.
        >
        > Read more: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ahm.html

      • Sandra/John Panzitta
        Message 3 of 12 , May 30, 2010
          Hello,

          I have read Carl Kotlarchik's guide to locating Austro-Hungarian Military
          Records and have a few questions.

          I am looking to locate military records from Trebisov, Zemplen County. From
          Carl's article, on Appendix A, I found the recruiting locations. Which
          brings the first question - On Appendix A, there is a dash under years 1817
          and 1853. The next column is year 1857. Does this mean the records for
          1817 to 1856 are lost?

          My great-great grandfather JANOS PETRENY, born 1839, married at the age of
          28 in 1867, a near certain indicator of military service. In order for me to
          locate the appropriate LDS films, using Appendix A, I determined the
          recruiting location was 066.

          I searched the LDS Library for Grundbuchblatter 066 and came up with records
          from 1861 to 1869. There are seven rolls of film (#1393776-82). Second
          question - Do I order all seven rolls, as the rolls are not indexed? I
          have no problem going through seven rolls, I just want to make sure this is
          the way to go.

          I also searched for earlier recruitments of years 1781 and 1801, both
          locations were 039. Years 1809 and 1853 were location 034. Third question -
          I assume I use Musterlisten und Standestabellen 039 and 034, again from
          information found on Appendix A. I would then order the appropriate years?

          For Grundbuchblatter 034, the years 1841-1860 are available, but again, they
          are not organized by year, but by "heft" or booklet. There are 28 rolls.
          Fourth question - Any hints on how to narrow down the rolls for Zemplen?

          I am looking for all possible LDS military films for Trebisov in Zemplen
          County. Am I going about this correctly?

          Thanks for your time this Memorial Day weekend,
          Sandra Panzitta

          Message 4 of 12 , May 31, 2010
            Sandra,
            You seem to be right on track for locating the military records. Here are my responses to your questions.

            Q1. Does this mean the records for 1817 to 1856 are lost?
            No,I think it means that the army did not recruit in Zemplen during those years. Infantry regiment 34 recruited there in the years before and after this time period. Infantry regiment 66 recruited there after 1861.

            Q2. Do I order all seven rolls, as the rolls are not indexed?
            The year of birth (1839)of your GGGF Janos makes finding finding the correct infantry regiment a little tricky. He would have likely been conscripted at ages from 20 to 22. So, if he drafted before 1861, he would have likely been in infantry regiment 34. But if he was drafted after 1861, he could have been in infantry regiment 66. Consequently, I would check both. For IR66, I would start with films 1393776 and 1393777. These should have the earliest years of the 1860s. For IR34, I'd begin with films 1325491 and 1325492. These cover the years of 1857 to 1860. In all cases, look through the films until you start seeing the birth years listed as 1839. If you don't find them in those films, you might have to check films 1325498-1325500. Although, he could have been in either of these regiments, I would recommend starting with IR66. The reason is that Austria fought two major wars during the 1860s and had to conscript many soldiers during those years. Most soldiers were in the infantry so that is your best bet, but there is always the possibility that Janos was in a different type of unit. If you do find his records, you will be able to learn exactly what his regiment did during those wars from the regimental histories.

            Q3. I assume I use Musterlisten und Standestabellen 039 and 034?
            That is correct for the years before 1820. For the years of 1857-1860 for IR34, use the Grundbuchblatter records.

            Q4. Any hints on how to narrow down the rolls for Zemplen?
            If you know the birth years of your male ancestors, you can narrow down the films to those covering those years. Many of the films do indicate the draft years covered. But remember, the years on the film titles will be 20+ years after the birth year. However, in the actual records, only the birth year is listed and not the draft year.

            Good luck to you and please let me know what you find (or do not find). Zemplen is unique because there are also some muster lists for this county that are available for the 1880s. I'll have to check what is available for Trebisov and send you a second note.

            CK

            Message 5 of 12 , May 31, 2010
              Hello again Sandra,
              Well, you are in luck. There are muster lists available for Trebisov for the years of 1873-1884. These are entitled:
              Katonai nyilvantartasi jegyzek, 1873-1884. So, if you have any other ancestors who might have been in the army during those years, you will find them in LDS films 629837 and 629838 which are specific for Trebisov. You can find the details of these films in the LDS catalog using the "Key Word" search function. Using the Key word: Trebisov, will bring up all the records for this town and you can scan down the list for the muster rolls. Muster lists have quite a bit of information. If you go to Bill Tarkulich's web site and look under the "Military" heading, you will find an example of a muster list and the translations of the headings. (note that this example is not in my article) Muster lists for this time period only exist for current Hungarian counties with the exception of the additional ones for Zemplen. They are not available for any other Hungarian county now in Slovakia except for Zemplen. I believe these were accidentally filmed by the LDS at the Hungarian archive at Satoraljaujhely but I could be wrong about that.
              I know this doesn't help you with Janos' records but hopefully with some other relative.
              Good luck, and please keep me posted on what you find.

              Message 6 of 12 , May 31, 2010
                Hi Carl,

                Thanks so much for your expert advice locating military records. I am very
                much looking forward to ordering the LDS films from Zemplen. Now I move
                onto Saros...

                My great-great-great grandfather JANOS VIDUMSZKY alias DEMJACKZI was born
                in Nemcovce, Saros County, circa 1838 or 1839 (there are no birth records
                from that time frame from his village). On his marriage record from
                Kapusany, Saros County, his occupation is "szabadsagols" katona - a retired
                or ex-service soldier, according to my researcher. Janos was 33 years old
                and it was his first marriage. I think it is interesting his first marriage
                was at age 33.

                I am wondering if there was any significance of his noted occupation,
                retired soldier. I mean, was there a military pension that he was supported
                by? Did it mean he was recently discharged from the military?

                I am looking for guidance in locating his military record from LDS. With a
                possible birth date of 1838 or 1839, I am thinking I should check late
                1850's to early 1860's. (Grundbuchblatter 046 and 067)

                Another mystery to solve, Janos married in 1872 and had children in 1874,
                1878 and 1879. In 1883, his wife remarried and was noted as his widow.
                There is no record in the village of his death. I am wondering was there a
                military conflict that would have taken him away from his family circa
                1879-1883? Could he have been killed in service?

                I'm really excited to explore the military records and see what I find.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 1, 2010
                  Hi Sandra,
                  That is an interesting notation (szabadsagols katona). But I'm sure that it means "retired soldier". The Hungarian word "szabadsagon" means to be on furlough or on leave. Soldiers were allowed to get married after they had completed their first tour of duty. So, maybe your GGGF got married while on military leave. If he died while still in the army sometime between 1879-1883, his death might be recorded in his regimental Militarkirchenbucher (military church book) which might explain why you can't find it in his home church records. But that would mean that he would have been in the service for a very long time.

                  The Seven Weeks War in 1866 was the last major conflict that Austria had until WWI. But the army was used by the empire to put down internal uprisings especially in the Balkans. And like everyone else, soldiers died of diseases too.

                  You have quite a challenge ahead of you because of the birth years of both your GGGFs. As you mentioned, the one from Saros could be in IR46 or IR67. But he could also have been in IR20 which recruited in Saros with IR46 in the late 1850s. I wish I could help you narrow it down but there is just no way of knowing. Do any of the church records indicate a possible regimental number?

                  If you do find the records for either of these ancestors, I can provide you with several additional references which will tell you a lot about what their regiments did during the wars with Denmark in 1864 and the one with Prussia in 1866. This is a time period that I am personally very interested in.

                  Carl

                • Frank R Plichta
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 1, 2010
                    The discussion of the AH military records reminds me of an earlier success.

                    I had a World War I postcard from my grandfather addressed to his wife. The
                    postmark is March 6, 1916 from KREMS a. DONAU (village Krems on the Danub
                    River). On the postcard were rubber stamped markings from a Reserve
                    Hospital.

                    In 1996, I visited the Kreigsarchiv (Military Archives) in Vienna, Austria
                    because The Kreigsarchiv is located at Nottendorfer Gasse #2, 1030 Wein.
                    The postcard had a photo on one side with a group of AH soldiers in a
                    variety of uniforms. The military archivist at the Kreigsarchiv told me
                    that during WWI there were approximately 3,500 hospitals in various types of
                    institutions such as; convents, schools, monasteries, etc. He stated that
                    there were 5 or 6 such hospitals in Krems. The hospital records were
                    available at the Archives but as of 1996 no definitive study had been
                    completed for the records. I was told that a study was planned in about
                    three years.

                    In 2006 I returned to the Kreigsarchiv and asked about the hospital records
                    archive. I was asked to leave my name and address and the name of my
                    grandfather with his birth date. They made a photocopy of my grandfather's
                    1916 postcard.

                    Approximately 3 weeks after I returned home, I received a packet in the mail
                    with 8 pages of my grandfather's medical records showing that he had two
                    hospital admissions. The medical history and physical stated that he had
                    been sick since 1914 and that he suffered from Tuberculosis, Fungus and
                    Anemia. The medical records are written in German. In addition to his
                    medical information, including daily medical notes from the doctors, the
                    forms also showed his military information.

                    He joined the military in 1908 and was a member of Infantry Regiment 34.
                    After his second hospital discharge on March 10, 1917 he was given three
                    months of leave from the military to recover. They even sent me a photocopy
                    of the military leave authorization from the Infantry Regiment 34.

                    So if you have any indication that your ancestor was hospitalized in WWI,
                    records are available at Vienna.

                    Frank Plichta

                    Galax, VA

                  • Carl
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 1, 2010
                      Sandra,
                      Oops, I meant to say that I'm NOT sure that the words mean retired soldier. I see that in my earlier message that I
                      left out the "not".
                      CK

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 2, 2010
                        Hi Carl,

                        I am looking over the LDS catalog and found Grundbuchblatter, 1820-1869 for
                        Regiment 020. As a reminder, I am looking for my GGGF JANOS VIDUMSZKY, born
                        circa 1838. No, there are no church records indicating what regiment he
                        might have served in - I have seen records with that information, just not
                        my line of ancestor.

                        About the Grundbuchblatter for 020, film #1217215 is an index of some sort.
                        T-Z Index Abgang Klasse 1850-1860 4. Battalion 1857-1860 1.3. Battalion
                        1857-1860 Effektiv 1860-1869 A-M. Since there is a roll labeled A-T, I am
                        guessing it is alphabetical, but other than that, I have no idea what else
                        the title indicates. Do you know?

                        As a side note, I looked over the 1869 census and while JANOS' occupation
                        was farmer helper, in the notes column, there is szabadsagos (hoz or hor)
                        katona. I have to say I find it odd. As my grandmother's sister married a
                        man with the last name Katona, I notice the word when I look at records.
                        Katona was not an overused word. If all able young men were drafted, I would
                        think I would see katona all over the records.

                        Thanks for clearing up the meaning of szabadsagon. About finding military
                        church books, I looked for them in the LDS library and did not readily find
                        anything for Saros 1879 - 1883. Did you see any? I'd like to order them
                        tomorrow. I don't know if this is related, but on Janos' daughter baptism
                        record, in the notes column is the following "arva ugy (or igy) 1/7, ki 86".
                        It is indicating the child was orphaned. After her birth, two additional
                        children were born and her mother remarried in 1883 and came to the US. I
                        assume this has something to do with her father, Janos Vidumszky's death.
                        Just thought I'd throw that out there and see if you had thoughts.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 3, 2010
                          Hi Sandra,
                          I agree with you that the film looks like an index (probably of names). I have not seen that for Hungarian regiments. Austrian and Czech regiments do have indexes of soldiers which makes it much easier to find their records. But the Hungarian regiments and the ones from Galatia are organized only by regimental number.

                          While IR 20 did recruit in Saros (and Szepes) for a short time in the late 1850s, this regiment recruited primarily in Galatia and not Hungary. So, I would recommend starting with IR46 and IR67 first.

                          Army church records were also kept by regimental number. So, for example, if you enter the following into the LDS catalog key word search: Osterreich. Armee. Infanterie Regiment 046
                          The grundbuchblatter and Kirchenbuch (church book)for IR46 will come up.

                          By the way, Army regiments were made up of several battalions. The regimental records are consequently subdivided by battalion. So, as you review the grundbuchblatter records, you will find sequential records for each battalion separately. The officers of each battalion will be listed first followed by the enlisted men. You will also find that the officer's birth years are different from those of the enlisted men so don't get confused. The most senior officers were obviously much older than the troops. Make sure you review each battalion for the birth year of your ancestor and record the battalion number when you find him. That will help you when you review the military history of the regiment.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 3, 2010
                            Carl,

                            Thanks so much for educating yourself about Austro-Hungarian military
                            records, I am so grateful you share your expertise. I will order these
                            films today and hopefully, in a month or so, I will be reporting back my
                            successes!