Mihalik/Bucko--Kochiss(Kocis)/Pjura-New to the grp

  • edflowfly
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2010
      Hello,
      I'm new to the group, looking for connections to:
      Mary Mihalik born, abt 1875 born in Cervenia, Czech lived in Luciny, Czech?
      John Bucko born in Roskavjam, Czech. abt 1877, Father John Bucko from Pecovska Novaves(Novesci?), Czech, possibly married a Mary Lokaj.
      or

      Michael Kochiss (Kocis), b. abt 1848 from Gromos, 1st marriage to Mary Senak. Died in Gromos, Czech.
      Michael Francis Pjura born in Gromos, Czech.
      Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
    • n8de@thepoint.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2010
        Mihalik, derived from the Archangel "Michael" is a very common surname
        in Eastern Europe.
        My grandmother was also named Mary Mihalik, born in Straze, Upper
        Hungary, now Sastin-Straze, Slovakia.
        Good luck finding connections.
        I'm sure someone here can assist.
        Don Havlicek
        Edmore,MI

        Quoting edflowfly <maryfitz@...>:

        > Hello,
        > I'm new to the group, looking for connections to:
        > Mary Mihalik born, abt 1875 born in Cervenia, Czech lived in Luciny, Czech?
        > John Bucko born in Roskavjam, Czech. abt 1877, Father John Bucko
        > from Pecovska Novaves(Novesci?), Czech, possibly married a Mary Lokaj.
        > or
        >
        > Michael Kochiss (Kocis), b. abt 1848 from Gromos, 1st marriage to
        > Mary Senak. Died in Gromos, Czech.
        > Michael Francis Pjura born in Gromos, Czech.
        > Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 22, 2010
          Welcome to the group.
          My paternal ancestral village is Gromos / Hromos. I have been researching my genealogy there for 10 years. Since 2001 to 2008 I have made six trips to Slovakia to visit my relatives in Hromos.
          I have very good news for you. The Plavnica Roman Catholic records, Hromos is an affiliated parish, are online for viewing. There are 1901 images of the records covering from the 1690's to 1922. There are some earlier records, but they are very difficult to read.
          Below is taken from the 1995 Slovak Census Database. When Slovak Republic was created in 1992 the government decided it wanted a very through census. You can see Hromos in bold. The "(okr. STARA L'UBOVNA)" translates to "okr." is the abbreviation for the Slovak word for district or county. In capitol letters is the district Hromos is in, Stara L'ubovna. Then what follows is a list of the surnames found in Hromos. In Slovakia there is a feminine form to the surnames, they end in "OVA". On the first line you see the male Knapik and the female Knapikova. As you can see there are two Knapikova. If you look closely there are dialect marks used. This does change the pronounciation. Often the dialect marks are enough for people with the same spelling to be considered not related. The number after the name is how many were found in the village. As you will see in line two; there were 17 Kocis and 16 Kocisova in Hromos in 1995. There are 5 Pjura, but no Pjurova.
          V obci HROMOS (okr. STARÁ LUBOVNA) sa v roku 1995 nachádzali najcastejsie tieto priezviská: PLAVNICKÝ 28×; KNAPÍK 28×; PLAVNICKÁ 25×; PISTEJ 22×; KNAPÍKOVÁ 21×; KNAPIKOVÁ 21×; BEBKO 20×; PISTEJOVÁ 20×; KOCIS 17×; KOCISOVÁ 16×; KNAPIK 13×; BUJNOVSKÁ 13×; BEBKOVÁ 13×; SEKELSKÝ 12×; VALEK 12×; ZENCUCHOVÁ 11×; MOJCHEROVÁ 10×; HUDÁKOVÁ 10×; BUJNOVSKÝ 10×; VALEKOVÁ 9×; SARNÍKOVÁ 9×; MOJCHER 9×; SARNÍK 9×; ZENCUCH 7×; VYROSTEKOVÁ 7×; NOVÁK 7×; PRIHODA 7×; KUNÁKOVÁ 7×; HUDÁK 7×; KUNÁK 6×; TINATHOVÁ 6×; PJUROVÁ 6×; BUKOVÁ 6×; TINATH 5×; PJURA 5×; PISTEJOVÁ ILASOVÁ 5×; FUCHSOVÁ 5×; SEKELSKÁ 5×; JARZEMBOVSKÁ 5×; NOVÁKOVÁ 5×; CHMELIAR 4×; PISTEJ ILAS 4×; DULIN 4×; NEMEC 4×; NEMCOVÁ 4×; PEKLANSKÝ 4×; PRÍHODOVÁ 4×; PRÍHODA 4×; FUCHS 4×; HRICKO 3×; BUK 3×; JARZEMBOVSKÝ 3×; PRIHODOVÁ 3×; GERYKOVÁ 3×; GLEVANAK 3×; FANTOVÁ 3×; CHMELIAROVÁ 3×; KOLLÁR 3×; KUNAK 3×; ZUMER 2×; GERYK 2×; FEDÁKOVÁ 2×; KASCÁK 2×; POLISCÁK 2×; PETRILÁK 2×; GLEVANAKOVÁ 2×; DULINOVÁ 2×; POLISCÁKOVÁ 2×; DRONZEK 2×; HARCARIKOVÁ 2×; KOLLÁROVÁ 2×; DRONZEKOVÁ 2×; VYROSTEK 2×; MASLONKA 2×; GULASOVÁ 2×; ZUMEROVÁ 2×; PILCHOVÁ 1×; FEDUSOVÁ 1×; PETRILAK 1×; KASCÁKOVÁ 1×; HRICKOVÁ 1×; VIROSTEKOVÁ 1×; CUPRAKOVÁ 1×; GULAS 1×; FANTA 1×; MASLONKOVÁ 1×; KASCAKOVÁ 1×; KRPCOVÁ 1×; KRPEC 1×; PETRILÁKOVÁ 1×; LOMPARTOVÁ 1×; VOJCIKOVÁ 1×; GULÁS 1×; VUJCÍK 1×; LOMPART 1×; SEKELSKÁ 1×; ILASOVÁ 1×; FEDUS 1×; STRUK 1×; PEKLANSKÁ 1×, ...

          I looked for Senak. There were no listings in the census. Two alternatives were surnames: Senk and Synak. Senk and Senk with a "V" over the "S". The one without had 57 listing all of them in far Eastern Slovakia. Where as Senk with the dialect mark had 48 listing in places in Western Slovakia. Synak had two spellings. One no dialect marks, the other with a hypen above the "A". All 225 were found in places in Western Slovakia.

          http://www.saris.eu.sk/hromos/ Here is a web page on Hromos. Some of it is in English. There is a video which is in Slovak. But below is an English translation. Enjoy the photogallery.

          If you like you can contact me directly at mgmojher@....

          We will begin with this. There is so much more I can give you on Hromos.

          Dobra den,
          Michael Mojher

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 25, 2010
            http://www.worldcitydb.com/luciny_-777142.aspx Here is a link to a map showing Luciny, CZ. That would have been a big move for Mary, from Cervenica,SK to Luciny, CZ. There is also and Luciny in Poland.