INTRODUCTION

  • Nancy Hayes
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 20, 2010
      BlankHi everyone,

      I just joined today and found this group when I typed Szolyva in the Google
      search window. I've been away from researching my family history for
      several years. I did find all of my Italian relatives on my mom's side from
      1990-1995 living in Italy, Chile & the USA, but I still haven't found much
      information on my dad's side of the family with the surnames of Kristen,
      Vikuk, Bunda.

      My grandmother was born in Szolyva, Hungary in 1897 and her family lived at
      the base of the Carpathian Mountains. She told me that when her first child
      was only three days old, the Russians were invading her area and they had to
      leave. She emigrated to the USA in 1923 through Ellis Island and settled in
      St. Louis, Missouri. I'll have to look up in my records the info that I
      have on her parents, but I believe I remember that her father was born in
      Prague, Czechoslovakia.

      My grandfather and his father were both born in Vienna, Austria. My
      grandfather was born in 1888; he emigrated to the USA in 1921 through Ellis
      Island. My grandparents' marriage was 'arranged' by both of their fathers.
      My great-grandfather came to America in 1909.

      Looking forward to 'meeting' everyone!

      Nancy Kristen Hayes/USA
      viewcards@...

    • John
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 20, 2010
        >>> I just joined today and found this group when I typed Szolyva in the Google search window. . . . My grandmother was born in Szolyva, Hungary in 1897 and her family lived at the base of the Carpathian Mountains. <<<

        Szolyva, Bereg Megye (county) Hungary, now Svaliava, Ukraine located 48‹ 32Œ / 22‹ 59Œ.
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 20, 2010
          Welcome, Nancy -- sounds as if you are off to a great start.
          I look forward to sharing with you.

          Caye

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 20, 2010
            Thanks Caye!

            Nancy

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 20, 2010
              Thanks for the info!

              Nancy
              >>> I just joined today and found this group when I typed Szolyva in the
              Google search window. . . . My grandmother was born in Szolyva, Hungary in
              1897 and her family lived at the base of the Carpathian Mountains. <<<

              Szolyva, Bereg Megye (county) Hungary, now Svaliava, Ukraine located 48‹
              32Œ / 22‹ 59Œ.

            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 21, 2010
                Hi Nancy,

                So you have roots in beautiful Svalyava, now Ukraine. This is a charming little resort area under the Carpathians, like a spa town - i stayed there a number of years ago.

                What puzzles me is if they had an arranged marriage by their parents - and it obviously was in the old country as she had a child - what a terrible time that must have been to have to flee with a newborn infant.

                But if your great grandfather was from Vienna the other from Svalyava - this is like opposite ends of the earth, even today - how did they ever get together to do the arranging? Same religion?

                helene

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 21, 2010
                  Hi Helene,

                  I was lucky to be able to get my Kristen and Vikuk family history from my grandmother three years before she died at the age of 91. She was so excited that I wanted to learn about her family; she also told me information about my grandfather's family, too.

                  I have one of her original wedding invitations. I'll have to look up in my family history binders the information regarding how her arranged marriage came to be. I know she was 17 years old when she married my grandfather (he was 9 years older than her). Their first child was born in 1914 in Szolyva 9-11 months later. Two more children followed; the fourth child was a nine month old baby who died of diptheria. My dad was their 5th child and he was the first of their children to be born in America. Grandma told me that when she came to America in 1923 with her three children (my Grandpa came to America in 1921; his father came in 1909), that she never saw any of her own family again. They corresponded via mail; she used to read their letters and postcards to me since they were in Hungarian.

                  My grandfather and his father were both coppersmiths. I'll have to look up my information on what kind of work my grandmother's father did; maybe his work and my grandfather's coppersmith work had something to do with how they originally 'met'. I do know that my grandfather moved around a lot wherever work was to be found.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 23, 2010
                    Hi Nancy,
                    My father was born in Szolyva also. When he was born, it was
                    Czechoslovakia, but when his older brother was born it was Hungary. Now it's Ukraine.
                    What is your grandmothers family name?
                    DAniel Wachtenheim

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 24, 2010
                        Hi Daniel,

                        My grandmother's name is Maria (Mary) Sophie Vikuk (maiden name) Kristen (married name); born in 1897. She mentioned living in Bohemia, Czechoslovakia at one time.

                        When she told me that she was born in Szolyva, Hungary I was very intrigued as I love villages and very small townships with names that I've never heard of before. I searched our local library for maps years ago with the name of Szolyva, and was able to find only one. I learned through my research how Hungary's borders changed due to the World Wars.

                        What is your father's name?

                        Nancy Kristen Hayes/USA

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 24, 2010
                          I wrote this.