Re: Velke Kapusany

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 25, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Jeff & Betsy McDonald"
      <jefbets@c...> wrote:
      > Hello Everyone,
      >
      > I am trying to find some information...
      >
      > I am hoping someone out there can help me locate information about
      my
      > Grandparents & great Grandparents. I know when they left the "old
      country",
      > that they had left family there. The 2 main surnames are: Salamon,
      > (americanized to "Solomon") and Yuhasz, (americanized to "Yuhas".

      When Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary, a Hungarian passport
      was written in Hungarian and French.

      When Slovakia was part of Czechoslovakia (1918-1938), a Czech
      passport was written in Czech and French.

      Byslisko (C) Residence
      Domicile (F) Residence

      Mokca-Krisov is Kríz^any located 3 miles from Vel'ké Kapus^any
      and at Kris^ovka Liesková, Slovakia.

      The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. matriky (1781-1876),
      G.C. parish church records (1789-1886) and Calvanist parish
      church records (1794-1887) for Kríz^any.
      Latter films are listed under Kríz^any, Slovakia.

      Other two film sets are listed under C^ic^arovce, Slovakia;
      formerly Csicser, Ung Megye, Hungary.
      Text in Latin and Hungarian.

      The Slovakia telephone directory list two surname S^alamonová
      under Vel'ky' S^aris^.
      So the family name is S^alamon (pron. Shalamon because of Slovak
      diacritic S^)

      The directory also lists 18 surname Juhász under Vel'ké Kapus^any
      and area.
      Note : In most Slavic languages the letter J is pron. Y, but spelled
      as a letter J.

      > My Great Grandfather's passport is literally in pages/pieces. His
      name
      > Jozsef Salamon. His passport is very different from the other 2.
      The
      > stamp by his age says "Ung Varmegve". It is dated what appears to
      be "07
      > Marcini, (March), 1923.

      Old Hungarian Ung Vármegye (county)

      Uzhorod, Ukraine is right over the eastern Slovakia border.
      Uzhorod, U^gorod, Ungvár, Uzhhorod, or Uzhgorod was formerly in
      Hungarian Ung Megye (county) before WW I.

      The area of today's Karpatho-Ukraine was part of the Kingdom of
      Hungary from the 10th century to 1919, and formed the counties,
      (comitatus in Latin, which was the legal language of administration
      until 1844, Komitat or Gespannschaft in German, Megye (county) in
      Magyar), of Ung,(capital Ungvár), Bereg (Beregszasz), U-gocsa
      (Nagy-Szöllos), and Marmaros (Marmaros-Szighet).
      They did not form a special administrative area during Hungarian
      rule.

      The larger part, with an area of 12,600 km or 5,400 sq. miles, was
      annexed by the newly created Czechoslovak Republic, or CSR in 1920.
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 25, 2000
        I have Juhasz connections in the region further to the south, on the
        S~aris-Abov border. I think this is one of those surnames that means
        something, but I forget what! So they may be a different family.

        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 25, 2000
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, Barbara Keryan <bkeryan@p...> wrote:
          > I am new to the list and have decided to finally jump in. This has
          been
          > very educational for me.
          >
          > I picked this post because the mention of the passports as treasures
          > really hit home. I have the Russian passports for my mom's parents
          and
          > up to now hadn't even considered that I would figure out a way to
          read
          > them. So the list is a great motivator. Of course that brings me
          up
          > Latin, German, Slovakian, Polish, and Russian to struggle through.
          >
          > My grandfather Matej Bulvon came to Baltimore via Bremen on Feb. 18,
          > 1909 from the town of Brezovickza, Oravaska (county?). He was born
          on
          > July 5, 1891 and baptized on July 6th, 1891. His parents were Jan
          and
          > Maria Slabiak Bulvon. Another brother Jan came too. Matej became
          > Michael Bulvony and Jan became John Bulvoney.
          Brezovica (Sv) Brezovica (H) is located 140 miles NE of
          Bratislava.
          Formerly located in old Hungarian A'rva Megye (county)
          later Orava z^upa (county) in Slovak.
          Small and isolated village located east of Tvrdos^in.
          Brezovica was located in the
          Trsztena járás (district) Trstená (Sv)
          Don't recognize the abbrev. Ldv.
          What was the source document ?

          There is another Brezovica (Sv) Brezevice (H) located
          near Pres^ov in old Sáros Megye in eastern Slovakia.

          Look at the Latin headers at URL below:

          http://www.bmi.net/jjaso//

          6 surname Bulvony listed in SSDI appear to be from Trumbull, OH.

          http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Bulvony&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f2
          0=&advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&ti=0&su
          bmit423=Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

          What was the title of your ship's paper in German ?

          That the Port of Bremen Records are being reconstructed is
          very interesting.
          The Germans had destroyed much of the Bremen records
          themselves to save storage space.
          The rest of the records were supposedly destroyed during
          WW 2 by American bombers attacking the U-boat pens at Bremen.
          Since the Hamburg PLs 1850-1934 already exist this should be an
          accomplishment.
          Emigrant traffic through Bremen was about 70,000 per year versus
          30,000 per year via Hamburg.
        • Jeff & Betsy McDonald
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 25, 2000
            Everyone thank you so very much. Anyone out there actually from Velke Kapusany? If so, I would love to hear from you. I am very interested in the genealogy aspect of all of this, but I am also very interested in learning more about this region as it was then and how it is now.

            Thanks again for all the replies and assistance. For those of you, in Czechoslovakia (Is this correct?), if there is any thing I can do from my end, (United States), more specifically, I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, please let me know. I would be more than happy to try and assist.

            Thanx,

            Betsy

          • Jeff & Betsy McDonald
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 25, 2000
              Alan,

              Probably so, I only typed what it appeared to say.

              Thanx,

              Betsy
            • Jeff & Betsy McDonald
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 25, 2000
                Andrea,

                Could you tell me more. I don't know much, but what I have is available.

                Thanx,

                Betsy
              • Andrea Vangor
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 25, 2000
                  More about ---???

                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 15, 2012
                    Alson searching the salamons - Paul and brothers John and sisters Clara and Eva. Dead ended in Plavnica where I know at
                    East Paul was born and immigrated from. All if even any information would be usefull.

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Kurchina" <frankur@...> wrote:

                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Jeff & Betsy McDonald"
                    > <jefbets@c...> wrote:
                    > > Hello Everyone,
                    > >
                    > > I am trying to find some information...
                    > >
                    > > I am hoping someone out there can help me locate information about
                    > my
                    > > Grandparents & great Grandparents. I know when they left the "old
                    > country",
                    > > that they had left family there. The 2 main surnames are: Salamon,
                    > > (americanized to "Solomon") and Yuhasz, (americanized to "Yuhas".
                    > >

                    > When Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary, a Hungarian passport
                    > was written in Hungarian and French.
                    >
                    > When Slovakia was part of Czechoslovakia (1918-1938), a Czech
                    > passport was written in Czech and French.
                    >
                    > Byslisko (C) Residence
                    > Domicile (F) Residence
                    >
                    > Mokca-Krisov is Kríz^any located 3 miles from Vel'ké Kapus^any
                    > and at Kris^ovka Liesková, Slovakia.
                    >
                    > The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. matriky (1781-1876),
                    > G.C. parish church records (1789-1886) and Calvanist parish
                    > church records (1794-1887) for Kríz^any.
                    > Latter films are listed under Kríz^any, Slovakia.
                    >
                    > Other two film sets are listed under C^ic^arovce, Slovakia;
                    > formerly Csicser, Ung Megye, Hungary.
                    > Text in Latin and Hungarian.
                    >
                    > The Slovakia telephone directory list two surname S^alamonová
                    > under Vel'ky' S^aris^.
                    > So the family name is S^alamon (pron. Shalamon because of Slovak
                    > diacritic S^)
                    >
                    > The directory also lists 18 surname Juhász under Vel'ké Kapus^any
                    > and area.
                    > Note : In most Slavic languages the letter J is pron. Y, but spelled
                    > as a letter J.
                    >

                    > > My Great Grandfather's passport is literally in pages/pieces. His
                    > name
                    > > Jozsef Salamon. His passport is very different from the other 2.
                    > The
                    > > stamp by his age says "Ung Varmegve". It is dated what appears to
                    > be "07
                    > > Marcini, (March), 1923.
                    > >
                    > Old Hungarian Ung Vármegye (county)
                    >
                    > Uzhorod, Ukraine is right over the eastern Slovakia border.
                    > Uzhorod, U^gorod, Ungvár, Uzhhorod, or Uzhgorod was formerly in
                    > Hungarian Ung Megye (county) before WW I.
                    >
                    > The area of today's Karpatho-Ukraine was part of the Kingdom of
                    > Hungary from the 10th century to 1919, and formed the counties,
                    > (comitatus in Latin, which was the legal language of administration
                    > until 1844, Komitat or Gespannschaft in German, Megye (county) in
                    > Magyar), of Ung,(capital Ungvár), Bereg (Beregszasz), U-gocsa
                    > (Nagy-Szöllos), and Marmaros (Marmaros-Szighet).
                    > They did not form a special administrative area during Hungarian
                    > rule.
                    >
                    > The larger part, with an area of 12,600 km or 5,400 sq. miles, was
                    > annexed by the newly created Czechoslovak Republic, or CSR in 1920.

                  • rubydoo00
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 15, 2012
                      Trying to research my great
                      grandpa Paul salmon. I know his brother John salamon through USA immigration became a Soloman not salamon ( they immigrated separately I believe and wound up with different last names. this thread enticed me. Because it provides some new information to my otherwise cold trail. I know Paul and John were both from Plavnica, having sisters clara and eva. Could someone please in Lay mans terms explain the connection between the juhaz name and salamon? the only additional thing is that my grandfather at one time explained his old world name as being something phonetically similar to zalamanovic" although nothing anywhere points that direction. He was very ill at the time so that may just be a wildcard. Thank you!
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Matviyak" <amiak@...> wrote:

                      > Betsy,
                      >
                      > I rate that passport as a goldmine. I ran through the same exercise with my
                      > dads and figure it reconstructs his return trip to the US. This is how I
                      > read yours:
                      >
                      > Ceskoslovenska (CZ), Tchecoslovaque(French), Magyoros(Hungarian), all =
                      > Czechoslovakia
                      >
                      > > V.Kapusany. = Velky Kapus^any, a large town in extreme SE corner of
                      > Slovakia, just 2 miles from the Ukrainian border. I irreverently think of
                      > it as "Big Cabbage", though that would be "Velky Kapusta".
                      > Your family is from 10-20 miles east of my mother's family. Howdy,
                      > neighbor!
                      >
                      > > "Bydlisko Domocile" = I will leave for others
                      >
                      > "Mokca
                      > > Krisov" = There is a smaller town of Kriz^any and Kris^ovska' Lieskova'
                      > just 2 miles NW, again I will eave it for someone with more ambition on the
                      > translation and fine geography.
                      >
                      > " cez
                      > > Franciu - Hallouasko" = a guess, 'through France and Holland'
                      >
                      > "Belgin-Nernecko". = Guess Belgium & definitely "Nemecko" = German
                      >
                      > 28 Augusta
                      > > Aout 1931. = Date issued (Guessed by position on page)
                      >
                      > "Okresny urad" = regional administration (at V. Kapusany)
                      >
                      > then stamped, "Velke Kapusany".
                      >
                      > "Cherbourg on 19
                      > > Aout 1931". = the port of departure and date. Now you know where to
                      > look for the ship she traveled on.
                      >
                      > "Non quota
                      > > Immigration Visa No. -55-, dated August 14, 1931, Issued to Salamon,
                      > > Juliana, a signature, an official seal, (the embossed kind) American
                      > > Vlos-Consul at PRAGUE = this I take to be the issuing visa office at the
                      > US Embassy in Prague.
                      >
                      > So look for a trip from V. Kapusany through Prague for the visa, Transit
                      > through Germany and eventually arriving at Cherbourg to take the ship.
                      >
                      > The "Ung Varmegve". of your grandfather shows that he came from 2 miles to
                      > the east over the county line - today the Ukraine, then Ung county. Not too
                      > far as romance leads one on!
                      >
                      > For sure some will fill in the blanks and correct the mistakes, but that is
                      > the gist of it.
                      > Ron

                    • htcstech
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 15, 2012
                        Don't discount 'Zalamanovic' too easily. Verbal family history is important
                        and if your grandfather said that it sounded like Zalaman~ovic then another
                        door may be open for you. The ~vic ending points to Serbian or Croatian
                        roots. Quite a few of these southerners wound up in current day Slovakia
                        for different reasons at different times, from the Ottoman occupation
                        onwards.
                        Also there are 2 'S' sounds in Hungarian, 3 'Z' and 2 'C':
                        S=sh(ould)
                        SZ=s(ea)
                        ZS= a soft z sound like zh
                        Z=Z(oo)
                        C=Tz(ar) - or Czar
                        CS=ch(urch)

                        So Juhaz is a truncated form of Juhazs which means 'Shepherd'. The story
                        goes that Soloman (Suliaman~Arabic) could control all animals.

                        Peter M.

                      • John
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 16, 2012
                          >>> Paul salmon .. .. brother John salamon . . . became a Soloman not salamon . . . I know Paul and John were both from Plavnica, having sisters clara and eva.. . . my grandfather at one time explained his old world name as being something phonetically similar to zalamanovic" although nothing anywhere points that direction. <<<

                          1) It is always best to start a new thread rather than jumping into an old one. That way, the answers are all relevant to your threaed.

                          2) Plavnica is quite far away from the thread that was jumped. There is no family connection to be found in Velke Kapusany.

                          3) You didn't tell us the RELIGION, which is mandatory. Assume RC.

                          Just to get you started in the RC church records for Plavnica, here is a death record for Rosa SZALAMON, 19 June 1895, father Janos, mother Anna Nyemecz.

                          https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12529-10105-61?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-P6T:n801358062

                          Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910 Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev)Stará ĽubovnaPlavnica Deaths (Umrtia) 1889-1926...manzelstvá) 1865, 1868-1895 Image 512 of 516

                          This particular death record may not be your close family but that is for you to research and determine by studying the church records back to 1693.

                          Here is their layout.

                          Inv. č. 843
                          Krsty 1693 1703
                          Krsty 1724 1748
                          Krsty 1714 1717
                          Krsty 1722
                          Krsty 1749 1777
                          Krsty 1691
                          Krsty 1686
                          Krsty 1698
                          Krsty 1688 1690
                          Krsty 1693
                          Úmrtia 1700 1702
                          Úmrtia 1705 1706
                          Úmrtia 1710
                          Úmrtia 1714 1731
                          Úmrtia 1733 1736
                          Krsty 1723
                          Krsty 1715 1717
                          Úmrtia 1737 1738
                          Úmrtia 1732
                          Úmrtia 1739 1777
                          Manželstvá 1683 1693
                          Manželstvá 1695 1702
                          Manželstvá 1706 1707
                          Manželstvá 1714 1718
                          Manželstvá 1722 1726
                          Krsty 1711 1714
                          Manželstvá 1728 1744
                          Manželstvá 1748 1750

                          Inv. č. 843 (cont.)
                          Manželstvá 1750 1758
                          Manželstvá 1744 1746
                          Manželstvá 1759 1777
                          Krsty 1843 1856
                          Krsty 1776 1779
                          Konvertiti

                          Inv. č. 844
                          Krsty 1779 1868
                          Krsty 1871
                          Úmrtia 1776 1869
                          Manželstvá 1776 1868
                          Birmovaní 1851
                          Birmovaní 1836

                          Inv. č. 845
                          Krsty 1868 1869

                          Inv. č. 845 (pokrač.)
                          Krsty 1869 1879
                          Manželstvá 1869 1880
                          Úmrtia 1869 1879

                          Inv. č. 846
                          Krsty 1879 1888
                          Manželstvá 1881 1907
                          Úmrtia 1880 1889

                          Inv. č. 847
                          Krsty 1888 1924
                          Úmrtia 1889 1890

                          Inv. č. 847 (cont.)
                          Úmrtia 1889 1926

                          Inv. č. 848
                          Druhopisy krstov, manželstvá, úmrtí 1865, 1868 1895
                        • johnqadam
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 16, 2012
                            Here are the Plavnica RC film numbers in a less confusing view.

                            https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12529-10105-61?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-P6T:n801358062#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMMYV-KJV%3An1807538536%3Fcc%3D1554443

                            Film # 843
                            Krsty 1693 1703
                            Krsty 1724 1748
                            Krsty 1714 1717
                            Krsty 1722
                            Krsty 1749 1777
                            Krsty 1691
                            Krsty 1686
                            Krsty 1698
                            Krsty 1688 1690
                            Krsty 1693
                            Úmrtia 1700 1702
                            Úmrtia 1705 1706
                            Úmrtia 1710
                            Úmrtia 1714 1731
                            Úmrtia 1733 1736
                            Krsty 1723
                            Krsty 1715 1717
                            Úmrtia 1737 1738
                            Úmrtia 1732
                            Úmrtia 1739 1777
                            Manželstvá 1683 1693
                            Manželstvá 1695 1702
                            Manželstvá 1706 1707
                            Manželstvá 1714 1718
                            Manželstvá 1722 1726
                            Krsty 1711 1714
                            Manželstvá 1728 1744
                            Manželstvá 1748 1750

                            Film # 843 (cont.)
                            Manželstvá 1750 1758
                            Manželstvá 1744 1746
                            Manželstvá 1759 1777
                            Krsty 1843 1856
                            Krsty 1776 1779
                            Konvertiti

                            Film # 844
                            Krsty 1779 1868
                            Krsty 1871
                            Úmrtia 1776 1869
                            Manželstvá 1776 1868
                            Birmovaní 1851
                            Birmovaní 1836

                            Film # 845
                            Krsty 1868 1869

                            Film # 845 (pokrač.)
                            Krsty 1869 1879
                            Manželstvá 1869 1880
                            Úmrtia 1869 1879

                            Film # 846
                            Krsty 1879 1888
                            Manželstvá 1881 1907
                            Úmrtia 1880 1889

                            Film # 847
                            Krsty 1888 1924
                            Úmrtia 1889 1890

                            Film # 847 (cont.)
                            Úmrtia 1889 1926

                            Film # 848
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 16, 2012
                              >>> Trying to research my great grandpa Paul salmon. . . from Plavnica <<<

                              Although pre-dating the family info that you have, the 1869 Hungarian Census for Plavnica can be a gold mine of Szalamon family information.

                              Plavnicza (Plavnica) Film #2162320 Item 3 and 2162321 Item 1

                              Luckily, Plavnica 1869 Hungarian Census is online at
                              https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28475-12873-15?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-C67:n1639064492

                              There are instances of your surname on pages 63, 119, 125, 133, 249 and 269. Link them together for your family tree.
                            • John
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 17, 2012
                                >>> Trying to research my great grandpa Paul salmon. I know his brother John salamon through USA immigration became a Soloman not salamon <<<

                                Ellis island provides the following clues.

                                Paul salmon, father Andras; going to brother Janos, La Belle, PA
                                Salamon, Palko Plawnica, Hungary 16 1891 1907

                                Szalamon, Janko Plavinoza 18 1883 1901
                                Szalamon, Janos Palocsa 16 1885 1901

                                Szalamon, Eva 18 1875 1893
                                Szalonna, Eva Plavnyicsa 19 1874 1893

                                Knowing father's name to be Andras, we have the following birth records in the previously noted RC Plavnica church records.

                                Page 457/516
                                B: Pal, Plavnicza 59
                                F: Andras Szalamon, RC
                                M: Anna Lincsa, RC

                                Page 360/516
                                B: Andras, Plavnicza 59
                                F: Andras Szalamon, RC
                                M: Anna Lincsa, RC

                                Refer to page 249 of the 1869 Hungarian Census to see the occupants of the house census-indexed as #146 to see above father and mother plus one other person.
                              • John
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 17, 2012
                                  Marriage Record for Andras Szalamon and Anna Lincsa:

                                  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12529-10145-21?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-P6T:n801358062

                                  Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev)Stará Ľubovňa Plavnica Deaths (Úmrtia) 1889-1926...nželstvá) 1865, 1868-1895 Image 129 of 516

                                  Groom: Andras Szalamon, Plavnica 119, age 25
                                  Bride: Anna Lincsa, Plavnica 28, age 19
                                • D D
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 17, 2012
                                    THESE ARE FANTASTIC SUGGESTIONS! I've been looking at some of these exact records for a couple weeks.... jealous you came up with them so quickly ;) but very glad that you came up with matching suggestions + some new ones for me to confirm!
                                    Paul salmon, father Andras; going to brother Janos, La Belle, PA
                                    Salamon, Palko Plawnica, Hungary 16 1891 1907
                                    I couldn't make out the writing of "going too," so thank you.  [CONFIRMED ] !!!
                                    my great aunt told me that she believed they paul and siblings ( and knew for sure paul) had come into NY and met up with their sister in PA.
                                    So, This is great I have confirmed through Fold3 Naturalization records that spell out his ship and date to match this suggestion) Fantastic

                                    sudo confirmed with marriage license of "Clara Salamun & Steve Doktor" in PA : (I also knew from aunt that clara married surname Doctor.."
                                    She lists "Andy Salamon" as her father, which seems logical.

                                    My concern with these records is that the dates of birth don't quiet match give or take nearly 1 year exactly across - census, war regs, the ellis island and this new one below...  should i discount based on that?
                                    30 Jan 1892B: Pal, Plavnicza 59
                                    F: Andras Szalamon, RC
                                    M: Anna Lincsa, RC

                                    will update with follow ups on the other clues

                                    Thank you!

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 18, 2012
                                      >>> My concern with these records is that the dates of birth don't quiet match give or take nearly 1 year exactly across - census, war regs, the ellis island and this new one below...  should i discount based on that? <<<

                                      The only dates that are CERTAIN in this context are the ones you will find in the original church records. All others can be considered approximations -- and a good place to start.
                                    • John
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 18, 2012
                                        Here are some more data points for your family tree. Starting with the time of marriage of Andras SZALAMON, we can go forward reviewing Plavnica birth records.

                                        Groom: Andras Szalamon, Plavnica 119, age 25
                                        Bride: Anna Lincsa, Plavnica 28, age 19

                                        B: Paulina page 221/516 14 Jan 1880, Plavnica 60
                                        D: Paulina page 270/516 15 Mar 1881

                                        Page 281/516 10 Feb 1882
                                        B: Andras, Plavnica 59
                                        D: Andras 15 Jul 1882

                                        Page 360/516 4 Nov 1886
                                        B: Andras, Plavnica 59

                                        Page 397/516 27 Sep 1888
                                        B: Maria, Plavnica 59

                                        Page 305/516 is right side of a birth record with SZALAMON birth shown. Need to locate left page to see who was born and when.

                                        DOKTOR surname is found in Plavnica, leading to the assumption that the PA marriage was “arranged”.
                                      • John
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 18, 2012
                                          >>> confirmed with marriage license of "Clara Salamun & Steve Doktor" in PA <<<

                                          Steve Doktor DOB 20 Aug 1877, Plavnica 129, RC
                                          F: Jozef Doktor
                                          M: Maria Sztarinszki
                                          https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11685-23807-76?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-P8K:n224780135
                                          • Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910
                                          • Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev)
                                          • Stará Ľubovňa
                                          • Plavnica
                                          • Baptisms (Krsty) 1869-187...Deaths (Úmrtia) 1889-1890
                                          • Page 77 of 540

                                          Clara Szalamon DOB 9 August 1876
                                          F: Andras Szalamon
                                          M: Anna Paranya(?) Could this be a nickname for Lincsa?
                                          https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11685-24224-81?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-P8K:n224780135
                                          • Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910
                                          • Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev)
                                          • Stará Ľubovňa
                                          • Plavnica
                                          • Baptisms (Krsty) 1869-187...Deaths (Úmrtia) 1889-1890
                                          • Page 61 of 540

                                          An Ellis Island entry:
                                          Szalonna, Eva Plavnyicsa 19 1874 1893

                                          https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11685-25647-62?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-P8K:n224780135
                                          • Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910
                                          • Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev)
                                          • Stará Ľubovňa
                                          • Plavnica
                                          • Baptisms (Krsty) 1869-187...Deaths (Úmrtia) 1889-1890
                                          • page 32 of 540
                                          23 Dec 1873; Died: 11 Aug 1948
                                          B: Eva, Plavnica 36
                                          F: Joannes Szalamon
                                          M: Anna Lincsa
                                        • D D
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 18, 2012
                                            your a genius :)  Both dates for both people match that on stefans naturalization record and are only off by one day :)
                                            Clara is my paternal great aunt.  Thank you!  Do you think somehow Linsca is the same as Prcenya??  Seems like a leap.  Help deciphering: the field column to the right of the "parents names" column - across from the binding. "VBO... etc"? (see clara szalamon's record). And I'm assuming the next column over from that is the god parents?  I don't speak the language to know what the info is about.

                                            name: Clara Szalamon
                                            event: Baptism
                                            date: 13 Aug 1876
                                            place: Plavnica, Stará Ľubovňa, Slovakia
                                            gender: Female
                                            father:Andr Szalamon
                                            mother:Anna Prcenya
                                            page number: 47
                                            entry number: 66
                                            film number: 1793217
                                            digital folder number: 004405916
                                            image number: 00061
                                            https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V135-61W%c2%a0

                                            name: Stephanus Doktor
                                            event: Baptism
                                            date: 23 Aug 1877
                                            place: Plavnica, Stará Ľubovňa, Slovakia
                                            gender: Male
                                            father:Josephus Doktor
                                            mother:Mar Sztarinszki
                                            page number: 55
                                            entry number: 65
                                            film number: 1793217
                                            digital folder number: 004405916
                                            image number: 00076

                                            ________________________________

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 19, 2012
                                              >>> Do you think somehow Linsca is the same as Prcenya?? Seems like a leap. <<<

                                              Although it seems VERY irregular, there are children before and after and so I have to assume that the surname was an "error". I can't explain it otherwise.

                                              Yes, you might want to compare the godparents of all the children.
                                            • John
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 19, 2012
                                                >>> Clara Szalamon DOB 9 August 1876
                                                > F: Andras Szalamon
                                                > M: Anna Paranya(?) Could this be a nickname for Lincsa?
                                                <<<

                                                An explanantion of the odd PARANYA surname usage: IT WAS HER MOTHER'S SURNAME.

                                                Check the 1869 Hungarian Census page 187/318 House #90, family #2. Anna is already married and so does not appear here. She is with her husband.

                                                Go to her birth records at: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11741-7813-0?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-PXM:n33008237

                                                Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev)Stará ĽubovňaPlavnicaMarriages (Manželstvá) 17...aptisms (Krsty) 1868-1869 Image 219 of 551

                                                Born: Anna
                                                Father: Matyas Lentsa (spelling is phonetic)
                                                Mother: Maria Paranya
                                              • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Sep 19, 2012
                                                  I, too, have a Szalamon in my Lincsa family tree. Elizabeth Szalamon was married to Jan Lincsa, my grandmother, Susanna Linca's, grandfather.
                                                  Elizabeth's father was Michael Szalamon.
                                                  Also, my grandmother's sister, Anna Lincsa married Vincent Parana....so I can testify that all three are valid, separate surnames and all were from Plavnica.
                                                  Hope this helps.
                                                  Susan Friedhaber-Hard.