Re: Babushka

  • charles tintera
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 11, 2010
      As I was growing up in Chicago a "Babushka" was always a woman's head scarf,
      usually worn for church on Sunday morning. Only when a girl was "old
      enough" could she wear a hat. But I suspect that was driven more by
      economics then fashion and somewhat by tradition. (I can recall my sister,
      younger than I, being quite put out by having to wear a babushka on Sunday.)

      Imagine my confusion when I saw a backpage photo in Life (or Look) that
      showed old women in Russia sweeping the streets in Moscow's Red Square with
      brooms and the caption described them as retired grandmothers (who were)
      babushkas and were hired by the state for street cleaning.

      My Mother's family came from Markusovce, SK and Gramma & Grampa were always
      Gramma & Grampa.

      Charles "Chuck" Tintera