Jahny

  • Mary Russo Demetrick
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 24, 2000
      I am posing this question to this list, since I have not asked here
      before. Does any of this ring a bell with list members? I am back at the
      LDS looking at church records.

      When my ggrandmother filled out papers to practice as a midwife in 1924
      in the state of Penn. she gave her village name as "Jahny" spelled by an
      English speaker I am sure. This family has always been RC as far as I
      can tell. I have looked in Jamnik, church records, also in Illany, and
      now in a few other villages in Spis. So far no luck.

      GGfather name was Jakub Balluch (Baluch, or Ballow in the US) b. 3 Jan 1861
      On his death certificate, his mother is listed as Elizabet Miko Balluch

      GGmother was Helen Kubasco (Kubassek?) Ballow (Balluch, Baluch) b. 25
      Dec. 1984

      There are many lines of Baluchs, According to Jeff Baluch, he is
      researching 11 different lines--most seem to be in the Spis area.

      Other information I received in the past two years include this from Tom
      Burcak, Joe Amenta, and Al Stoffa (all of whom I thank profoundly).
      Jano (Janov) Saros County current Slovakia
      Janyok (Also Also and Felso upper and lower) Pozsony County
      Jamnik, Szepes County current Slovakia
      Janocz, (Johansdorf, Janovce) Szepes County current Slovakia
      Jankocz, Zeplen County current Slovakia
      Janok, Abauj County current Slovakia
      Jahna in southeast Germany, north of Bohemia and 1/2 way between Dresden
      and Leipzig five miles south east of Oschatz.
      Jahnaci

      Where should I go from here?

      --
      Mary Russo Demetrick
    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 24, 2000
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, Mary Russo Demetrick <mmdemetr@s...>
        wrote:
        > I am posing this question to this list, since I have not asked here
        > before. Does any of this ring a bell with list members? I am back
        at
        the
        > LDS looking at church records.
        >
        > When my ggrandmother filled out papers to practice as a midwife in
        1924
        > in the state of Penn. she gave her village name as "Jahny" spelled
        by an
        > English speaker I am sure. This family has always been RC as far as
        > can tell. I have looked in Jamnik, church records, also in Illany,
        and
        > now in a few other villages in Spis. So far no luck.
        >
        > GGfather name was Jakub Balluch (Baluch, or Ballow in the US) b. 3
        Jan 1861
        > On his death certificate, his mother is listed as Elizabet Miko
        Balluch

        > GGmother was Helen Kubasco (Kubassek?) Ballow (Balluch, Baluch) b.
        25
        > Dec. 1984

        Don't know your surnames.
        And post-emigration information means little without surname village/
        town of origin.
        I'll pose some questions, too.

        Know that the listener (clerk) wrote down what he thought the
        emigrant
        said in reply to his question.
        If village name was spelled by an English speaker, then why spell it
        Jahny which certainly looks German ?
        Or, look at the Czech first name Johny = Jahny, Jáhny, Johany.

        Why do you think your great GPs were from Slovakia, i.e. Upper-
        Hungary ?

        Were they naturalized, since naturalization papers would list their
        birthplaces ?
        Before 1923 a wife was automatically naturalized when her husband
        became a citizen.
        Were GGPs married before or after arrival in the U.S. ?

        Settled in NE or SW PA ?
        When did they emigrate to the U.S. ?
        What was their port of entry, NYC, Philadelphia, or Baltimore ?

        Kubasco is Hungarian spelling, probably of surname Kubas, perhaps
        Kubas^.
        Diminutive could be Kubass, Kubasak, Kubasek, etc.

        What might GGPs have said ?

        How are you ? English

        Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

        Hogy Van ? Hungarian

        Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

        Jak se máte ? Czech

        Jak sie pan miewa ? Polish

        Kaip gyvenate ? Lithuanian

        Kuidas läheb ? Estonian

        Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene (Roman)

        Kà jums klàjas ? Latvian

        K A K C T E ? Serbian/Bulgarian/Macedonian (Cyrillic)
        (kahk steh)

        K A K D E J| A' ? Russian (Cyrillic)
        (kahk dyela )

        R K C || P A B |/| ? Ukrainian (Cyrillic)
        (yahk správee )
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 24, 2000
          To complicate the issue -- always fun -- let's ask if the name may have come
          from some document that predates the independence of Czechoslovakia. A lot
          of Hungarian village names end in -y, although it is not pronounced (the ny
          combination has a certain sound, like the ni in onion, or so I believe).

          Have you searched passenger index records for these people? The manifest
          gives the village of origin along with a lot of other information.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 25, 2000
            Thank you for some new questions and comments. I have been
            at this for three years now, and have had little success
            finding information about this side of my family. Even
            though I traveled to Slovakia twice, I have yet to *find* a
            village I can visit there and know that this is where my
            ggparents came from. I have been in touch with others
            researching Baluch, Balluch but do not uncover common lines.
            What I do have are death certificates for both of these
            ggparents. And that information is spotty, depending on who
            gave the information. No insights gained from that. I even
            tried to write to a Jednota in Portage to see if they had
            lists of members way back and where in the old world they
            were from. I need some new ideas.
            My responses follow.

            All of your responses are helpful. Brainstorm away!

            ----------
            Because Balluch is a name from this region.
            Because the food and music relative to Spis is what I
            experienced around them.
            Because it is my gut reaction--and I have learned to trust
            this when doing genealogy.
            On notes I have from her papers, it lists "Checko slovakia"
            as her country of origin. these notes also say she came to
            the US via Baltimore. I requested ships manifests for but to
            no avail (I was successful in obtaining these for my Italian
            gparents, however).
            > Why do you think your great GPs were from Slovakia, i.e. Upper-
            > Hungary ?

            Neither were naturalized. One had notes about "first papers"
            in Oseola Mills PA, but letter I wrote to all possible
            counties in PA yielded nothing.
            > Were they naturalized, since naturalization papers would list their
            > birthplaces ?
            > Before 1923 a wife was automatically naturalized when her husband
            > became a citizen.
            Before their arrival. They had a son before coming here. And
            I have yet to find birth or death records for him. He lost
            touch with the family in later years.
            > Were GGPs married before or after arrival in the U.S. ?

            They were in the Portage, Martindale region of PA
            (Johnstown)
            > Settled in NE or SW PA ?

            Don't have an exact date--but notes from family say 1889.
            > When did they emigrate to the U.S. ?

            Jakub to NYC, Helen to Baltimore. Not successful with the
            searches through the National archives on these.
            > What was their port of entry, NYC, Philadelphia, or Baltimore ?

            This is great information. Thank you.
            > Kubasco is Hungarian spelling, probably of surname Kubas, perhaps
            > Kubas^.
            > Diminutive could be Kubass, Kubasak, Kubasek, etc.

            I believe it does.
            > To complicate the issue -- always fun -- let's ask if the name may have come
            > from some document that predates the independence of Czechoslovakia. A lot
            > of Hungarian village names end in -y, although it is not pronounced (the ny
            > combination has a certain sound, like the ni in onion, or so I believe).

            Yes, but to no avail. See above.
            > Have you searched passenger index records for these people? The manifest
            > gives the village of origin along with a lot of other information.

            Mary Russo Demetrick
          • Judy/Dick James
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 25, 2000
              I too have tried to find information about my grandmother's (Helen
              Mutnansky) immigration. She became a citizen when my grandfather was
              naturalized. They had been married one year at that time. She was born in
              Ilava, Klobusice 29, but I don't know if she still lived in that area when
              she came to America. Can anyone tell me a possible route she might have
              taken if she was still in the area of Ilava in 1904? This is the year that
              is listed on census records as the year she immigrated. Some of the male who
              settled in the same area and listed there place of origin as Austria or
              Bohemia came through the port of Baltimore. Are there any lists on the
              internet?

              Judy

> [...]
              >
              > This is great information. Thank you.
              > > Kubasco is Hungarian spelling, probably of surname Kubas, perhaps
              > > Kubas^.
              > > Diminutive could be Kubass, Kubasak, Kubasek, etc.
              > >
              > I believe it does.
              > > To complicate the issue -- always fun -- let's ask if the name may have
              come
              > > from some document that predates the independence of Czechoslovakia. A
              lot
              > > of Hungarian village names end in -y, although it is not pronounced (the
              ny
              > > combination has a certain sound, like the ni in onion, or so I believe).
              >
              > Yes, but to no avail. See above.
              > > Have you searched passenger index records for these people? The
              manifest
              > > gives the village of origin along with a lot of other information.

            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 25, 2000
                You can't get useful information by worrying about the route they took to
                leave the country. Passenger manifest sheets are obtained when you know (1)
                the port of entry into the U.S. (2) the date of entry and (3) the ship.
                Fortunately, this information is accessible for the early 20th century, most
                of the time.

                Go to the website for the National Archives, www.nara.gov and browse through
                their genealogy section. It will explain all this. Then you can peruse the
                material on the indexed lists of surnames for various ports. For 1904, if
                the people came in to New York, no problem. If you can't find them there,
                look at other ports -- Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston.

                Figure out the Soundex code for the name, and what the system means.

                All of this will take you the same as any of us other amateur sleuths -- a
                few hours of puzzling over the mysteries of the National Archives, and then
                the light will break and you will say, AHA! I get it! At that point, you
                are weeks away, probably, from obtaining a copy of the actual passenger
                manifest with your relatives listed -- their destination, their village of
                origin, their height and eye color, who paid their passage... all kinds of
                information. I have been lucky enough to find four such manifests so far,
                and I am still looking for others.

                Step one. Find them in an index of surnames for a particular port. That
                gives you the date of arrival and ship and port of departure (not that it
                matters, but we like to know these things). Hopefully, you can read all of
                this. Sometimes the index card is partly or entirely illegible, and then
                the hunt is more difficult. The microfilms with the index information are
                found at regional branches of the National Archives. Or, you can order them
                via the Family History Center.

                The actual microfilms with the passenger manifests can also be ordered
                through the Family History Center.

                Good luck.

                > I too have tried to find information about my grandmother's (Helen
                > Mutnansky) immigration. She became a citizen when my grandfather was
                > naturalized. They had been married one year at that time. She was born in
                > Ilava, Klobusice 29, but I don't know if she still lived in that area when
                > she came to America. Can anyone tell me a possible route she might have
                > taken if she was still in the area of Ilava in 1904? This is the year that
                > is listed on census records as the year she immigrated. Some of the male
                who
                > settled in the same area and listed there place of origin as Austria or
                > Bohemia came through the port of Baltimore. Are there any lists on the
                > internet?
                >
                > Judy

              • Jon Zatk
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 25, 2000

                  wrote:
                  > I am posing this question to this list, since I have not asked here
                  > before. Does any of this ring a bell with list members? I am back
                  at
                  the
                  > LDS looking at church records.
                  >
                  > When my ggrandmother filled out papers to practice as a midwife in
                  1924
                  > in the state of Penn. she gave her village name as "Jahny" spelled
                  by an
                  > English speaker I am sure. This family has always been RC as far as
                  > can tell. I have looked in Jamnik, church records, also in Illany,
                  and
                  > now in a few other villages in Spis. So far no luck.
                  >
                  > GGfather name was Jakub Balluch (Baluch, or Ballow in the US) b. 3
                  Jan 1861
                  > On his death certificate, his mother is listed as Elizabet Miko
                  Balluch

                  > GGmother was Helen Kubasco (Kubassek?) Ballow (Balluch, Baluch) b.
                  25
                  > Dec. 1984

                  Don't know your surnames.
                  And post-emigration information means little without surname village/
                  town of origin.
                  I'll pose some questions, too.

                  Know that the listener (clerk) wrote down what he thought the
                  emigrant
                  said in reply to his question.
                  If village name was spelled by an English speaker, then why spell it
                  Jahny which certainly looks German ?
                  Or, look at the Czech first name Johny = Jahny, J�hny, Johany.

                  Why do you think your great GPs were from Slovakia, i.e. Upper-
                  Hungary ?

                  Were they naturalized, since naturalization papers would list their
                  birthplaces ?
                  Before 1923 a wife was automatically naturalized when her husband
                  became a citizen.
                  Were GGPs married before or after arrival in the U.S. ?

                  Settled in NE or SW PA ?
                  When did they emigrate to the U.S. ?
                  What was their port of entry, NYC, Philadelphia, or Baltimore ?

                  Kubasco is Hungarian spelling, probably of surname Kubas, perhaps
                  Kubas^.
                  Diminutive could be Kubass, Kubasak, Kubasek, etc.

                  What might GGPs have said ?

                  How are you ? English

                  Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

                  Hogy Van ? Hungarian

                  Ako sa m�s^ ? Slovak

                  Jak se m�te ? Czech

                  Jak sie pan miewa ? Polish

                  Kaip gyvenate ? Lithuanian

                  Kuidas l�heb ? Estonian

                  Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene (Roman)

                  K� jums kl�jas ? Latvian

                  K A K C T E ? Serbian/Bulgarian/Macedonian (Cyrillic)
                  (kahk steh)

                  K A K D E J| A' ? Russian (Cyrillic)
                  (kahk dyela )

                  R K C || P A B |/| ? Ukrainian (Cyrillic)
                  (yahk spr�vee )

                  Be it beyond me to offer any suggestions from what Mr. Kurchina is offering ( I think he is the most informed person on this board and he seems to go out of his way to help everyone. This board is certainly lucky to have him as a Member.)IMHO.

                  However I know what it is like to be desperate and just to reach for straws. If this is your case I have a suggestion. In the Kurima Church records there is a Buchala from Dubine, in the Same records I have seen the name also spelt Buhala. Also in these records there is a marriage of 1857 of Andrea Buhala and Maria Bezecsek.

                  Film #'s1792391, 1792392 & 1792393.

                  Like I said if your desperate give it a try

                  John Zatkovich