Use of "SZUL"

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2010
      I am going through the Plavnica Roman Catholic Records for births.
      In the block for the God-parents' names they consistently list two surnames for the woman. The format is "Surname 'szul' Surname, then the given name".
      It seems apparent that they are giving the woman's married and maiden names. My problem is I am not sure which is give first and which is given second.
      The word "szul" must indicate which. Can someone tell me what the name order is, please. Married szul Maiden or Maiden szul Married.
      Michael Mojher

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2010
        If you substitute the word "born" for "szul," you will see that it is
        Married name "born" Maiden name.

        Janet

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2010
          Michael,
          The szul. is an abbreviation for the Hungarian word "born".

          used in this way it is the equivalent of saying
          Maria Smith born Jones. or Maria Smith neé Jones. Or as you find it
          Smith born Jones, Maria.

          Curt B.

          > I am going through the Plavnica Roman Catholic Records for births.
          > In the block for the God-parents' names they consistently list two surnames for the woman. The format is "Surname 'szul' Surname, then the given name".
          > It seems apparent that they are giving the woman's married and maiden names. My problem is I am not sure which is give first and which is given second.
          > The word "szul" must indicate which. Can someone tell me what the name order is, please. Married szul Maiden or Maiden szul Married.
          > Michael Mojher

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2010
            Thanks Curt. That means the format is Married szul Maiden.