Re: Drenguba, Busella

  • John
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
      >>> Looking for information on . . . Buselola families . . . or Maria Busella. <<<

      What is the correct surname? Busela comes up on Ellis island. Where was she born?
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
        Bill,
        In the 1995 Slovak Census there were no listing for Buselola or Busella. The offered alternative was Butella:
        Priezvisko BUTELLA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 4×, celkový pocet lokalít: 3, v lokalitách:
        MOLDAVA NAD BODVOU, okr. KOSICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOSICE - OKOLIE) - 2×;
        JUH (obec KOSICE), okr. KOSICE - 1×;
        SEVER (obec KOSICE), okr. KOSICE - 1×;
        In 1995 there were only 4 listing for Butella. Two in the town of Moldava nad Bodvou, Kosice District. And two in the city of Kosice in Kosice District. The Juh and Sever areas of the city of Kosice

        Ellis Island had 14 listings for Butella. Five of them said they came from Balazser, Hungary. No luck finding it.

        Priezvisko DRENGUBÁK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 5×, celkový pocet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
        KOSAROVCE, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPLOU (od r. 1996 HUMENNÉ) - 4×;
        VÍTAZOVCE, okr. HUMENNÉ - 1×;
        These two villages are very close to one another. They are near the reservoir Vodna Nadrz Velka Domasa northeast of Presov.
        Kosarovce
        county: Humenné

        OLD NAMES of the village(town): 1773 Kosarocz, Kossarowcze, 1786 Koscharóz, Koscharowce, 1808 Kosárócz, Kossárowce, 1863-1902 Kosaróc, 1907-1913 Kosárvágása, 1920 Kosiarovce, Kosarovce, 1927- Kosarovce

        In 2008 one Drengubak and one Drengubakova were living here.

        Ellis Island listings:

        Drenguba, Josef 25 1867 1892 view view view view view
        2 Drenguba, Jozsef R banyacska 39 1865 1904 view view view view view
        3 Drenguba, Julia Rudobanyacska 17 1889 1906 view view view view view
        4 Drengubak, Imre Vagdohnta, Hungary 28 1879 1907 view view view view view
        5 Drengubak, Josef Kaurecsvayas 27 1874 1901 view view view view view

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
          I have seen this MAP a million times and still cannot find: Jakubany NE and Michalovce E. Can someone point me in the right direction?
          Thanks, really appreciate it. maxine sasala

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
            Maxine,
            You are about 60 miles off. Jakubany is due south of Stara Lubovna by 6.5 km. Stara Lubovna is northwest of Presov by some 30 miles on Highway 68.

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
              Michalovce. Sorry. It is in far East Slovakia. Almost to the Ukraine border. Next to a large reservoir; Vodna Nadrz Zemplinska Sirava.

              I have seen this MAP a million times and still cannot find: Jakubany NE and Michalovce E. Can someone point me in the right direction?
              Thanks, really appreciate it. maxine sasala

              >>> Looking for information on Drenguba and Buselola families in Austria-Hungary prior to the turn of the 20th century. Particularly Josef Drenguba or Maria Busella. <<<

              Ellis Island listings suggest the village name Ruda-Banyacska, Zemplen Megye = county.

              1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
              The old Hungarian map can be found at: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg

              Look toward the bottom, in the pink area for SATORALJAUJHELY and then go a bit northwest to find Rudabanyacska. Given what little evidence we have, that would appear to be your village. It is 4 km straight-line distance northwest of Satoraljaujhely, Hungary.

              SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program. CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will likely find in church records.

            • Bill Berry
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 3, 2010
                Sorry, I should have mentioned all the information I do have.  I know what village in Hungary the Drengubas came from (Ruda-Banyacska).  I am mostly looking for birth or marriage records from that particular village, I guess.
                Thanks for the map info.  I'll check that out.

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 3, 2010
                  I also have the ship passenger list showing Drenguba and Maria Busella.  However, that's all I have of Busella.  I assume she was from the same general area as Drenguba.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 3, 2010
                    Michael, the passenger list where I found Busella may have been misspelled.  I'll check it again to make sure of the spelling.  Sometimes it's hard to read those lists...

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 3, 2010
                      >>> I also have the ship passenger list showing . . . Maria Busella. <<<

                      Please advise how the name was transcribed. What year? I can't see it on Ellis Island so I must be missing something.
                    • Michael Mojher
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 3, 2010
                        Bill,
                        The Slovak 1995 Census had no Busella listing. The alternative it gave was Butella, of which there were four living in Slovakia in 1995. Two lived in Moldava nad Bodvou and two lived in Kosice.
                        The Slovak 1995 Census had 5 Drenguba listings. There were four in Kosarovce and one in Vitazovce. They are close to one another.
                        At another website I found in Kosarovce in 2008 there was a couple with the name Drenguba living there.
                        Ellis Island had only 5 listings for Drenguba and Drengubak, 2 were from Rudabanyacska which is now:
                        Sátoraljaújhely (archaic German: Neustadt am Zeltberg (help·info); Slovak: Nové Mesto pod Šiatrom; Yiddish: איהעל (ihel) or אוהעלי (Oheley)) is a town located in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county in northern Hungary near the Slovak border. It is 82 km (51 mi) east from the county capital Miskolc.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 3, 2010
                          Bill,
                          Knowing that Rudabanyacska is present day Satoraljaujhely, Hungary means you are going to have to go to a Hungarian Archive to search for this branch of your family.
                          http://www.wideweb.hu/hungary/hungarians-abroad/genealogy this site has a list.