GOTTL and POPPERA families of Bratislava

  • Margaret Lodder
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21, 2000
      I would like to find out if any descendents of the GOTTL and POPPERA
      families still live in Bratislava. I would also be interested in any
      information available on these families, present and past; some advice on
      good sources which I could use to obtain this information would also be
      helpful. I shall be visiting Slovakia towards the end of next year and
      would like if possible to meet any relatives still living there.

      My grandmother was Gisela Maria GOTTL (b. 1872- d. 1962). She was born and
      lived in Pressburg/Pozsony, now Bratislava, until 1903 when she emigrated to
      South Africa; there she met her future husband Dimmen Lodder and lived in
      South Africa until her death. I believe that Gisela Maria was a teacher at
      the Pozsony Gymnastics Association for a few years before she came to South
      Africa.
      Gisela Maria Gottl's parents were Adolf Emil Gottl (1847-1918) and Ludovica
      POPPERA (1851-1877); both came from Pressburg. There were three children
      from this marriage (Gisela Maria, Frank who died in childhood, and Irma -
      Irma also moved to South Africa). After the death of his first wife Adolf
      Emil married Anna SIDON (1858- ) and they had 5 children. He was a teacher
      ("Turnprofessor") at the Katholischen Volkschule and the State Realschool in
      Pressburg.
      As Adolf Emil comes from a family which lived in Pressburg for many years
      and as he himself had several children I think it possible that there are
      some of his descendents still living in Bratislava (or elsewhere in
      Slovakia).

      Some further background:
      Adolf Emil Gottl's father was Mauritius Gottl (1815-1892), he was Mayor of
      Pressburg for several years; Mauritius was born and died in Pressburg; he
      married Rosina KÜMMERLING (1814-1887).
      Ludovica Poppera's parents were Jakob Georg Anton Poppera (1813-1891) and
      Rosalia REICHART (1819-1851); both were born and died in Pressburg.

      Another query: Does anyone know if there was an epidemic of some sickness in
      Pressburg in the year 1877? Both Ludovica Gottl (neè Poppera) and her young
      son Franz, aged about 4 years, died in 1877.

      Any help which anyone can give regarding these families will be very much
      appreciated.!
      Margaret Lodder
      Pretoria, South Africa.
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 21, 2000
        Dear Margaret,

        Have you checked the on-line Slovak telephone directory to see if you can
        find anyone with those surnames in the area today? One of us can find you
        the URL if you need it. What an interesting group of relatives you have!

        About the situation in 1877 -- there was a devastating epidemic of cholera
        in eastern Slovakia and the neighboring region in 1873. The death rate
        tripled, and my impression is that people were weakened and more susceptible
        to other illnesses for a few years even if they survived the cholera. It's
        possible that some left-over effect had a role in the deaths of your
        relatives, but you would have to study the death records to find their
        causes of death -- perhaps the same illness, perhaps not -- and to see if
        there was an unusual amount of illness at the time in Bratislava.

        I can tell you that most people, of whatever age, died from acute infectious
        illnesses prior to 1900, and probably later. It's only after antibiotics
        became widespread that the majority of people (Western people, anyway) start
        dying from cancer and other degenerative diseases.

        Andrea