Re: [S-R] Piszana, Slovakia

  • jtgen96
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
      Thank you. The religion is Greek Catholic.

      Would you be willing to speculate about this situation for me? If a woman in the middle 1800's was married to a Greek Catholic priest, who served in Mikulasova for over 22 years, died at the relatively young age of 52 and left her with 6 children ages 22 to 6 would she most likely stay in that town as a widow to raise her children?

      In what other town would records for Mikulasova be kept?

      > Hello jtgen96?
      >
      > You did not state which religion you are researching. Crucial.
      >
      > Piszana is the old Magyar spelling for present-day Nisna Pisana and Vysna
      > Pisana.
      >
      > Greek Catholic Records for these villages were also kept in SVIDNIK.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Bill

    • jtgen96
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
        Thank you. I am not sure that I understand exactly what you have sent is telling me. Is it the names that this town has been know by over time, as indicated by the dates given? If this is true during which time period as the names Hungarian and which Slovak and ?????

        > John gave you the film numbers. The online is in Greek Catholic records for Nizna Pisana, Vysna Pisana and Dobroslava.
        >
        > Nizná Pisaná SK/PV saris.
        > 1773 Alsó-Piszana, Nizna Pisana, 1786 Alschó-Piszana, 1808 Alsó-Piszana, Dolní Písaná, 1863-1902 Alsópiszana, 1907-1913 Alsóhímes, 1920 Nizná Pisana, 1927- Nizná Pisaná
        >
        > 2730 Vysná Pisaná SK/PV saris.
        > 1773 Felso-Piszana, Wisna Pisana, 1786 Felscho-Piszana, 1808 Felso-Piszana, Horní Písaná, 1863-1902 Felsopiszana, 1907-1913 Felsohímes, 1920 Vysná Pisana, 1927- Vysná Pisaná
        >
        > V obci NIZNÁ PISANÁ (okr. SVIDNÍK) sa v roku 1995 nachádzali najcastejsie tieto priezviská: STEFANISKOVÁ 10×; STEFANISKO 8×; GAJDOSOVÁ 5×; GREGA 4×; PICHANICOVÁ 4×; VACHNOVÁ 4×; GAJDOS 4×; OMASKOVÁ 4×; PICHANIC 4×; MOCILENKOVÁ 3×; CVERCKO 3×; PATLEVICOVÁ 3×; PEC 3×; CVERCKOVÁ 3×; PATLEVIC 3×; MOCILENKO 3×; PECOVÁ 3×; OLIJAR 2×; KOPCÍKOVÁ 2×; JENCOVÁ 2×; JURCISINOVÁ 2×; KOPCÍK 2×; DULÁKOVÁ 2×; DULÁK 2×; KNIEZA 2×; GREGOVÁ 2×; HNATOVÁ 2×; VACHNA 2×; KNIEZOVÁ 2×; JURCISIN 2×; JENCO 2×; CIGLANSKÝ 1×; OMASKA 1×; HNAT 1×; KIMAKOVÁ 1×; JURÍKOVÁ 1×; CIGLANSKÁ 1×; KIMÁKOVÁ 1×; JECH 1×; MORIAKOVÁ 1×; OLIJAROVÁ 1×; KOSTÍKOVÁ 1×; KIMÁK 1×; MORIAK 1×; KOSTIK 1×; KOSTÍK 1×
        > V obci VYSNÁ PISANÁ (okr. SVIDNÍK) sa v roku 1995 nachádzali najcastejsie tieto priezviská: VANATOVÁ 9×; VANAT 6×; HVOZDA 5×; KOSTÍK 5×; VANCISIN 4×; KUCHTA 4×; KOSTÍKOVÁ 4×; RODÁK 4×; JURCISIN 4×; KUCHTOVÁ 4×; VANCISINOVÁ 3×; HOLOVKA 3×; JURCISINOVÁ 3×; HVOZDOVÁ 3×; CHOCHOLÁKOVÁ 3×; RODÁKOVÁ 3×; PITLIVKA 2×; CHOVANCOVÁ 2×; KANDRAVÁ 2×; KANDRAVÝ 2×; VANÁT 2×; PITLIVKOVÁ 1×; TKACOVÁ 1×; CHOVANEC 1×; CHOCHOLÁK 1×; KUSEJOVÁ 1×; TKACÍK 1×; GRESS 1×; KUSEJ 1×; VANÁTOVÁ 1×; SUPSÁKOVÁ 1×; KOSTIKOVÁ 1×; KOSTIK 1×; HOLOVKOVÁ 1×; DUBIVSKÁ 1×

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
          This is information taken from the 1995 Slovak Census. The first two are the names that Nizna Pisana and Vysna Pisana has gone by since 1773.
          The two pieces of information about those two villages tell you that Nizna Pisana and Vysna Pisana in 1995 had these surnames and how many people had that surname. Usually these list shown is not the complete list. They do get down to single listings. Here is the same information for Dobroslava:
          Dobroslava SK/PV saris.
          1773 Dobroszlava, Dobroslava, 1786 Dobraszlawa, 1808 Dobroszlava, Dobroslawa, 1863-1902 Dobroszlava, 1907-1913 Dobroszló, 1920 Dobroslav, 1927- Dobroslava

          obci DOBROSLAVA (okr. SVIDNÍK) sa v roku 1995 nachádzali najcastejsie tieto priezviská: VASILENKO 11×; VASILENKOVÁ 8×; BARTKO 7×; BARTKOVÁ 6×; BEREZNÁ 4×; BEREZNÝ 4×; JANEKOVÁ 3×; HNÁT 3×; HNAT 2×; HNÁTOVÁ 2×; LAZOVÁ 2×; MARCÁK 2×; HNATOVÁ 2×; OCIPKA 1×; KMIT 1×; KMITOVÁ 1×; MASLEJOVÁ 1×; OCIPKOVÁ 1×; KIMAKOVÁ 1×; JANEK 1×; KIMAK 1×; MARCÁKOVÁ 1×; OBMASCÍKOVÁ 1×; RODÁKOVÁ 1×

          On the Road Atlas I have for Slovakia it shows that Drobroslava had a church that was large enough or important enough that its name was on the map. You do not see that often. So that "cathedral church" you were searching for is probably in Drobroslava. Fortunatel, for you all the places have there records in one set of books.

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
            Miklusovce PO/PV saris.
            1773 Miklósvágás, Miklósvagas, Miklussowcze, 1786 Miklóschwágásch, Miklussowce, 1808 Miklósvágás, Miklússowce, Mikulássowce, 1863-1902 Miklósvágás, 1907-1913 Miklósvágása, 1920 Miklúsovce, 1927- Miklusovce

            V obci MIKLUSOVCE (okr. PRESOV) sa v roku 1995 nachádzali najcastejsie tieto priezviská: CUCHTOVÁ 16×; CUCHTA 15×; SENCÁKOVÁ 12×; SENCÁK 12×; HUDÁK 9×; KOLLÁR 9×; FEDORKO 8×; ADZIMOVÁ 8×; GUMAN 8×; FILAKOVSKÁ 8×; KOLLÁROVÁ 8×; TOMASCIN 8×; JACKO 7×; GUMANOVÁ 7×; KRIVOSOVÁ 6×; KRIVOS 6×; BOCKOVÁ 5×; KELLO 5×; MIKULOVÁ 5×; KRAJNÁK 5×; FEDORKOVÁ 5×; ADZIMA 5×; HUDÁKOVÁ 5×; CEHLÁROVÁ 5×; SKYBA 5×; MARICÁKOVÁ 5×; GAJDOS 5×; MARICÁK 5×; IVAN 4×; MIKULA 4×; POLÁKOVÁ 4×; MUDRÝ 4×; VENGRÍNOVÁ 4×; POLÁK 4×; DVORSCÁK 4×; TOMASCINOVÁ 4×; KRAJNAKOVÁ 4×; GAJDOSOVÁ 4×; JACKOVÁ 4×; SKYBOVÁ 4×; DVORSCÁKOVÁ 3×; PAVLÍK 3×; VITALISOVÁ 3×; KONTROS 3×; IVANECKÁ 3×; FILAKOVSKÝ 3×; LIBA 3×; LIBOVÁ 3×; TROJANOVÁ 3×; MATYS 3×; IVANOVÁ 3×; SABOL 2×; RUSNÁKOVÁ 2×; MUDRÁ 2×; FENUSKO 2×; BEKEC 2×; BOCKO 2×; KOZÁRIKOVÁ 2×; KELLOVÁ 2×; KURUC 2×; KRAJNÁKOVÁ 2×; VERCIMÁK 2×; KOMARA 2×; TROJAN 2×; KONTROSOVÁ 2×; FEDOR 2×; KOMAROVÁ 2×; CEHLÁR 2×; RUSNÁK 2×; TOMKO 2×; FEDOROVÁ 2×; TOMKOVÁ 2×; JANÍCKOVÁ 1×; KURUCOVÁ 1×; PETRENCÁK 1×; MARICAKOVÁ 1×; KOZARIKOVÁ 1×; VERCIMÁKOVÁ 1×; FENUSKOVÁ 1×; MATISOVÁ 1×; PAVLOVICOVÁ 1×; SEDLÁK 1×; PAVLÍKOVÁ 1×; GREGUSOVÁ 1×; PAVLOVIC 1×; KOTULICOVÁ 1×; KOHUT 1×; SÝKOROVÁ 1×; SEDLÁKOVÁ 1×; JAKUBISINOVÁ 1×; VARGOVÁ 1×; HOVAN 1×; CHOVANOVÁ 1×; BUCKOVÁ 1×; VENGRÍN 1×; JAKUBISIN 1×; BUCKO 1×; SABOLOVÁ 1×; KOZARIK 1×; JANECKO 1×, .
            1869 Census Films
            Szacsúr Sacurov Zemplin 719786
            Miklósfalu Miklusovce Szepes 2149899 Item 4
            Dobroszlava Dobroslava Saros 2150628 Item 10

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
              Jtgen96,
              A speculation. In the middle 1800's 52 years old would not have been considered "relatively young". "The female life span in the 1800's was 57 years old which is a four year difference with the males in the 1800's .The male's life span on average lived to be about 53 years old."
              By the ages of the children, "22 to 6" and "who served in Mikulasova for over 22 years", one would think they were an established family in the village. Especially, so because the husband was the Greek Catholic priest. A respected family also. I would believe the widow would stay on in the village. The only reason I could see her moving out is if she re-married. And since she was in her "sunset" years of her life I doubt that she would remarry.

              Miklusovce has a population of 330. Sedice is 4 km / 2.4 miles away has a population of 1,024. I would suspect Miklusovce would be an affilated parish. But the truth is Miklusovce is on the online records under Greek Catholic and Sedice is to be found in the Roman Catholic records.

              Thank you. The religion is Greek Catholic.

              Would you be willing to speculate about this situation for me? If a woman in the middle 1800's was married to a Greek Catholic priest, who served in Mikulasova for over 22 years, died at the relatively young age of 52 and left her with 6 children ages 22 to 6 would she most likely stay in that town as a widow to raise her children?

              In what other town would records for Mikulasova be kept?

              > Hello jtgen96?
              >
              > You did not state which religion you are researching. Crucial.
              >
              > Piszana is the old Magyar spelling for present-day Nisna Pisana and Vysna
              > Pisana.
              >
              > Greek Catholic Records for these villages were also kept in SVIDNIK.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Bill

            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010
                You can find examples of both outcomes-widows remarrying, even in their 50s,
                usually with widowers, and widows who remained unmarried. Remember that
                above all, marriages constituted an economic unit with the husband "bringing
                home the bacon," so to speak, and the wife running the household. The loss
                of either one would usually make life difficult for the one left behind. In
                your case, however, her 22-year-old son would have been old enough to become
                the head of the household.

                When an individual became widowed, remarriage usually took place quickly, in
                the vast majority of cases within the year. You may find the bride of this
                second marriage under her maiden name with the note that she was "widow of
                ___."

                My records include a marriage with an evangelical priest who died when their
                child was an infant. She returned to her "home town" and did not remarry. I
                strongly suspect that she was supported by the child's godfather, a
                prominent and wealthy noble.

                In another case, the wife was left with three infant children when her
                teacher husband committed suicide. She did not remarry either, probably
                because of the stigma attached to her husband's suicide. In her case it led
                to extreme poverty.

                Janet

                _____

                yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                > Hello jtgen96?
                >
                > You did not state which religion you are researching. Crucial.
                >
                > Piszana is the old Magyar spelling for present-day Nisna Pisana and Vysna
                > Pisana.
                >
                > Greek Catholic Records for these villages were also kept in SVIDNIK.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Bill

              • John
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010
                  >>> So would this census tell us the names of great grandfather's parents and his siblings? <<<

                  Everybody who lived in each house in 1869, their relationship, year of birth and religion. It's a gold mine of information.
                • John
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010

                    See an example at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm#1869example