Re: [S-R] Re: Need Information on Stanislav Bodnovich

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
      I just re-read your email and the earlier message from John Adam. As my
      friend John noted, the surname BODNOVICH does appear in RUDNANY. I would
      recommend that you concentrate your initial efforts there, as the surname
      BODNOVICH and the village name KOTERBA appear to both match RUDNANY
      (KOTTERBACH in German). KOTERBA is most likely a derivative form of KOTTERBACH /
      KOTTERBACHY.

      Best regards,

      David

    • John
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
        >>> Stephen Stanislav, my maternal grandfather, was born June 10, 1881 in Koterba, Spiska Zupa, Slovakia. . . . He was the son of Stephen Stanislav, born in the same location in 1845. His mother's maiden name was Catherina Kalafut, also born in Koterba in 1851. Her father's name was Andreas Kalafut. . . .

        My maternal grandmother, Anna Bodnovich was also born in Koterba in 1891 . . . father Andrej Bodnovich was born in Koterba in 1855 and died there ( I think) on April 28, 1944. Her mother was Julia Vogner. . . . I know they attended the Greek Catholic Church <<<

        Koterba [sic] is now called Rudnany. GC church records are available for nearby Porac'.

        LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Poráè, Slovensko, Czechoslovakia, formerly known as Porács, Szepes, Hungary. Includes affiliate Rudòany.

        Krsty 1789-1927 Uzavreté manželstvá 1789-1884 Úmrtia 1789-1866 - Film #1791519 Items 2-4

        Krsty 1927-1949 Uzavreté manželstvá 1885-1949 Úmrtia 1867-1949 - Film #1791520 Items 1-3

        The very informative 1869 Hungarian Census is also available.
        Kotterbach (Rudòany) Film # 2149910 Item 4

        Happy squinting
      • John
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
          Kotterbach, was mapped as Otosbanya on the 1910 map and today is Rudnany, Slovakia.

          1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
          The old Hungarian map can be found at: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg

          Look near the bottom, southeast of IGLO an the way to GOLNICZBANYA to find Otosbanya in the light green area. That is your village.

          SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program. CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will likely find in church records.
        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
            From the 1995 Slovak Census: Rudnany had 34 Stanislav listing 1 Kalafut listing and 6 Bodnovic (no 'h') listings. No Vogner listing. It looks like a hit.

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
              http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/rudnany/rudnany.html Information website on Rudnany

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
                >>> Stephen Stanislav . . . His mother's maiden name was Catherina Kalafut . . . My maternal grandmother, Anna Bodnovich . . . Her mother was Julia Vogner [sic]. <<<

                SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
                You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by looking them up in the phone book white pages at http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

                To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of last name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the web page.

                Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html

                STANISLAV(OVA) appears 41X in Rudnany. KALAFUT(OVA) appears 32X in Rudnany. BODNOVICOVA appears 2X in Rudnany and BUDNOVIC once in nearby Markusovce. VAGNER apperas only once in Spisska Nova Ves and then much further away.

                Based upon that information we can be fairly certain of having the correct village.
              • John
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
                  Try VAGNER.