RE: [S-R] Help with reading PRESOV

  • Frank R Plichta
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
      Bill,

      I think you will find historical references to hospitals in temples as early
      as 350 BC.

      Frank

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
        Someone asked me if anyone had prepared a list of Slovaks who came to the US similar to the ones Leo Baca did for Czechs.

        Does anyone know of anything like this?

        helene

      • christine mackara
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
          Bill,
          The header is : Place of birth and Number.

          The way I read it : Maria Makara died in Eperies ..? .. Dochio Civitatis 81. on 6 May 1869
          I see the same ,.. ?.. Dochio Civitatis 81, written in other entries, for instance 4 lines above Maria. Thats why I wondered.

          I have worked with the header translation document and also http://tinyurl.com/44yxp , but often I cannot find the words I want to look up, sorry.

          http://www.bmi.net/~latin/

          http://tinyurl.com/44yxp

          Regards,

          Bill Tarkulich

          On Mon, March 1, 2010 1:40 pm, Nancy Gibbs wrote:
          > Christine,
          > Â Sorry I can't help you with the translation but the heading for that
          > column is in Latin and is "place of birth and number".
          >

          > ________________________________

          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
            Never heard of one.

            On Mon, March 1, 2010 3:55 pm, helene cincebeaux wrote:
            > Someone asked me if anyone had prepared a list of Slovaks who came to the
            > US similar to the ones Leo Baca did for Czechs.
            >
            > Does anyone know of anything like this?
            >
            > helene

          • ssultonia
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
              Christine,
              Could it be "Eperjes" - the Hungarian name for Presov?
              Bill

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "christine mackara" <christine1931@...> wrote:

              > Bill,
              > The header is : Place of birth and Number.
              >
              > The way I read it : Maria Makara died in Eperies ..? .. Dochio Civitatis 81. on 6 May 1869
              > I see the same ,.. ?.. Dochio Civitatis 81, written in other entries, for instance 4 lines above Maria. Thats why I wondered.
              >
              > I have worked with the header translation document and also http://tinyurl.com/44yxp , but often I cannot find the words I want to look up, sorry.
              >
              > Christine

            • CurtB
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                Christine,
                I took a look at the page with Maria Makara. The column heading in Latin says place of origin, and present residence house number. I see a number of deaths recorded in that register with Eperies (Pres`ov, as place of origin) and then that mysterious word you are having trouble with. This is the Latin word Xenodochium, or Xenodochia civitatis [meaning here of the city of Pre`sov] [house]no. 81. You are correct, the normal translation of the word is hospital, though in this case we must remember what it means according to time and place. It must be a city hospice for the care of the infirm or elderly dying. Pre`sov is a big town even at this time and might well have had such a facility. You will note several lines above Maria is a man who dies in Xenodochio Militaris, which must mean some kind of military hospice or hospital.

                Hospitals did exist already in medieval times and there are some famous ones scattered all over Europe still in existence. Most were built by religious orders and many to care for victims of the plague. Think of the religious order the Hospitallers of St. John.

                They used exactly the same word you encounter here Xenodochíum, Xenodochii. Early on, some Benedictine abbeys called their guesthouses for any traveller a Xenodochium, but by the 16th century I haven't seen it used except to indicate a hospice or hospital.

                Best
                Curt B.

              • christine mackara
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
                  Hi Bill,

                  You are correct, Eperies/Eperjes is the hungarian name for Presov,SK
                  Thank you,
                  Christine
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Hi Curt,

                    I am pretty sure Maria Makara, who died in 1869 at age 77, calculated birth 1792, was the grandmother of my husbands grandfather, Stefan Makara/Mackara. I don't think she was born in Eperjes,because I looked at the birth records from abt 1790 to 1803. Her husband Michael Makara was born 1797or 1792 in Uzovske Peklany, he died in 1852 in Eperjes/Presov. Her maidenname could have been Dohäzsak/ Dochan/Duchan. At this time I have no idea where she is from. And I am still looking for some sort of confirmation of that.

                    Your answer has helped me a lot. Thank you so much for your time and expertise. That's just what I was looking for, Hospice or Hospital for the infirm and elderly. It didn't get me anywhere, but I know now what it means, great!

                    Thank you again so much,