Help with reading PRESOV

  • christine mackara
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi,

      I found the death entry in the Presov, Film # 880, Image 99, RC Church Records,
      6 May 1869, died Maria MAKARA, widow, in Eperies. The rest looks, as if it could be a hospital ?? Or what does it say ?
      I would like to find out for sure. Thank You

      Christine

    • Nancy Gibbs
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
        Christine,
          Sorry I can't help you with the translation but the heading for that column is in Latin and is "place of birth and number".

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
          Christine,

          There were no such things as hospitals in 1869. Essentially everyone was
          born in a home. I do not know what "the rest of it" is referring to.
          Which column?

          Have you worked with the header translations document?
          http://www.bmi.net/~latin/
          It describes what information each heading holds.

          Do you have a good Latin dictionary of genealogy terms? You should.
          http://tinyurl.com/44yxp

          Regards,

          Bill Tarkulich

          On Mon, March 1, 2010 1:40 pm, Nancy Gibbs wrote:
          > Christine,
          >   Sorry I can't help you with the translation but the heading for that
          > column is in Latin and is "place of birth and number".
          >

          > ________________________________

          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com
        • christine mackara
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
            Thank you for trying, Nancy,

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
              Bill,

              I think you will find historical references to hospitals in temples as early
              as 350 BC.

              Frank

              _____

              http://www.bmi. <http://www.bmi.net/~latin/> net/~latin/

              http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/44yxp> com/44yxp

              Regards,

              Bill Tarkulich

              On Mon, March 1, 2010 1:40 pm, Nancy Gibbs wrote:
              > Christine,
              > Â Sorry I can't help you with the translation but the heading for that
              > column is in Latin and is "place of birth and number".
              >

              > ________________________________

              ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to
              unsubscribe@yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links

              --
              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi. <http://www.iabsi.com> com

            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                Someone asked me if anyone had prepared a list of Slovaks who came to the US similar to the ones Leo Baca did for Czechs.

                Does anyone know of anything like this?

                helene

              • christine mackara
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                  Bill,
                  The header is : Place of birth and Number.

                  The way I read it : Maria Makara died in Eperies ..? .. Dochio Civitatis 81. on 6 May 1869
                  I see the same ,.. ?.. Dochio Civitatis 81, written in other entries, for instance 4 lines above Maria. Thats why I wondered.

                  I have worked with the header translation document and also http://tinyurl.com/44yxp , but often I cannot find the words I want to look up, sorry.

                  Christine

                  There were no such things as hospitals in 1869. Essentially everyone was
                  born in a home. I do not know what "the rest of it" is referring to.
                  Which column?

                  Have you worked with the header translations document?
                  http://www.bmi.net/~latin/
                  It describes what information each heading holds.

                  Do you have a good Latin dictionary of genealogy terms? You should.
                  http://tinyurl.com/44yxp

                  Regards,

                  Bill Tarkulich

                  On Mon, March 1, 2010 1:40 pm, Nancy Gibbs wrote:
                  > Christine,
                  > Â Sorry I can't help you with the translation but the heading for that
                  > column is in Latin and is "place of birth and number".
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                  Bill Tarkulich
                  http://www.iabsi.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                    Never heard of one.

                    On Mon, March 1, 2010 3:55 pm, helene cincebeaux wrote:
                    > Someone asked me if anyone had prepared a list of Slovaks who came to the
                    > US similar to the ones Leo Baca did for Czechs.
                    >
                    > Does anyone know of anything like this?
                    >
                    > helene

                  • ssultonia
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                      Christine,
                      Could it be "Eperjes" - the Hungarian name for Presov?
                      Bill

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "christine mackara" <christine1931@...> wrote:

                      > Bill,
                      > The header is : Place of birth and Number.
                      >
                      > The way I read it : Maria Makara died in Eperies ..? .. Dochio Civitatis 81. on 6 May 1869
                      > I see the same ,.. ?.. Dochio Civitatis 81, written in other entries, for instance 4 lines above Maria. Thats why I wondered.
                      >
                      > I have worked with the header translation document and also http://tinyurl.com/44yxp , but often I cannot find the words I want to look up, sorry.
                      >
                      > Christine

                    • CurtB
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                        Christine,
                        I took a look at the page with Maria Makara. The column heading in Latin says place of origin, and present residence house number. I see a number of deaths recorded in that register with Eperies (Pres`ov, as place of origin) and then that mysterious word you are having trouble with. This is the Latin word Xenodochium, or Xenodochia civitatis [meaning here of the city of Pre`sov] [house]no. 81. You are correct, the normal translation of the word is hospital, though in this case we must remember what it means according to time and place. It must be a city hospice for the care of the infirm or elderly dying. Pre`sov is a big town even at this time and might well have had such a facility. You will note several lines above Maria is a man who dies in Xenodochio Militaris, which must mean some kind of military hospice or hospital.

                        Hospitals did exist already in medieval times and there are some famous ones scattered all over Europe still in existence. Most were built by religious orders and many to care for victims of the plague. Think of the religious order the Hospitallers of St. John.

                        They used exactly the same word you encounter here Xenodochíum, Xenodochii. Early on, some Benedictine abbeys called their guesthouses for any traveller a Xenodochium, but by the 16th century I haven't seen it used except to indicate a hospice or hospital.

                        Best
                        Curt B.

                      • christine mackara
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
                          Hi Bill,

                          You are correct, Eperies/Eperjes is the hungarian name for Presov,SK
                          Thank you,
                          Christine
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
                            Hi Curt,

                            I am pretty sure Maria Makara, who died in 1869 at age 77, calculated birth 1792, was the grandmother of my husbands grandfather, Stefan Makara/Mackara. I don't think she was born in Eperjes,because I looked at the birth records from abt 1790 to 1803. Her husband Michael Makara was born 1797or 1792 in Uzovske Peklany, he died in 1852 in Eperjes/Presov. Her maidenname could have been Dohäzsak/ Dochan/Duchan. At this time I have no idea where she is from. And I am still looking for some sort of confirmation of that.

                            Your answer has helped me a lot. Thank you so much for your time and expertise. That's just what I was looking for, Hospice or Hospital for the infirm and elderly. It didn't get me anywhere, but I know now what it means, great!

                            Thank you again so much,