Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] birthdate discrepancy theory?

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 21, 2000
      I have wondered the same thing about a great-uncle. He had a Hungarian
      birth certificate (an official document) issued in 1913, that made him out
      to be five years younger than his actual age. I still don't know if it was
      an error or a deliberate falsehood. He got married around that time but had
      immigrated not too long before -- I don't know when yet. It seemed possible
      that he obtained the document to help him get out of the country if he was
      draft age. John Vangor was born in 1894 but the birth certificate says
      1899. I have his actual church record confirming the true date and I can't
      imagine how an error could have been made if he had asked for a birth
      certificate in order to get married -- his true age in 1913 was 19, so
      taking five years off his age would have made him a bridegroom of 14!

      When I find his immigration records the story may become more clear. You
      certainly get the impression that a lot of young men of draft age left
      Hungary without doing their military service first.