[S-R] Re: Marriage Records

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 25, 2010
      I have also encountered the mixed pages. A month or two ago I followed John A's recommendation for
      http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=waypoint;s=waypointsOnly;c=1554443;w=0
      which took me to films for Sulin and Lozin. The images are much easier to read than they are on microfilm, and I have been working Lozin first, downloading the images and going through them to identify year, B, D, M, and add an initial for any family or related name on that page. There are breaks in the series, and I have added images such as "4405893_528 GAP in series start 1886" matching with "4405893_468 GAP in series end 1906"; there are also duplicate images where one is over exposed and I labeled it "4406900_351 BAD see 350"
      and for extraordinary events, a special note "4405893_370 1885 pox szo"

      I guess my natural tendency was to do "cluster genealogy" before I was aware of the name. I only know the grandparent's names and am curious about cousins and friends, so I am looking at godparents as well, and take note of things that pop out, like the pox epidemic mentioned above, or clusters of illegitimacy in the parish that make me want to look at the history for what occurred 9 months before.

      Now it is a matter of book keeping, and searching out the mystery man, Grandfather John Vallo. His family seems absent from the records, or they changed the spelling from Valyo, which is quite a common name in the neighborhood. I did not find a birth listed that corresponds with the marriage license information from Duquesne, being 24 years old in 1915 and born in Lozin. So they Mystery Man remains a major puzzle. Any help or comment here would be greatly appreciated!

      So I have a lot of work ahead of me with all of the images. Consistency and accuracy of my work are now the challenges, and this sure is a distraction from history (of how they lived), which is far more interesting than this accounting exercise!

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@...> wrote:

      > I've seen intermingled baptismal, marriage and death records, but for the > most part I thrilled with all I've found.
      >
      > On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@...>wrote:
      >
      > > I have found several pages that were messed up. You'd see page 2 of what > > is obviously a baptism record but no page 1 or vice versa.

    • John
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 25, 2010
        >>> which took me to films for Sulin and Lozin. . . . have been working Lozin . . . His family seems absent from the records, or they changed the spelling from Valyo, which is quite a common name in the neighborhood. <<<

        Ron, you are messing around in my back yard!

        I have Mihaly Valyo b 1808 Lozin 18 and a variety of descendants. Let me know if you show any links to Lozin 18.
      • SimplyLisa
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 27, 2010
          Hi! Ron,

          Thank you for mentioning this link.  I didn't know the records were available online.
           I believe I found the birth of my great grandfather, Mihaly Dzsupinka  in 1875 in Pichne, Slovakia.

          Can you tell me how to save a file to my computer from
           http://pilot. familysearch. org/recordsearch /start.html# p=waypoint; s=waypointsOnly; c=1554443; w=0

          When I click the save button its saves a file on my computer, but my computer can not open or read the file.

          Lisa
        • Barbara

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 27, 2010
              Barbara,
              To get to the records you go to www.familysearch.org.  From there you click search records, choose record search pilot, then browse our record collection.  This will give you a map to choose what area you are looking for.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 27, 2010
                Lisa & Barb,

                When you go to save the file, the web site will assign a number to the image. Keep that number! There are so many images on the site that you will need it to figure out where you have been when you go back another day, so you don't duplicate work! ALSO add " .jpg " to the end of the file when you save it so it will open as a photo. For the files you have already downloaded on your computer, go to them on your disk & add the " .jpg " ending, and they will also open as photos. Then you can add the information as I did below, if you wish - B (birth), year, familiar family name . . .

                This is all the blame of johnqadam who originally posted the site. I finally looked at it and found, for me, a gold mine of information! So I am happy to be sharing Lozin with him.

                Ron

                The site is
                http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=waypoint;s=waypointsOnly;c=1554443;w=0

                and my original posting is at