Re: New to Group

  • Gary Gaba
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 24, 2010
      I noticed in Barbara's e-mail that she mentions (regarding her maternal
      great-grandfather) that "His certificate of arrival number, printed on his
      naturalization papers, is written.." . This is the first time I've heard of
      a Certificate of Arrival Number; Is this the number that shows on her
      Naturalization Petition (AR# 4700902 - bottom left) or would appear on only
      Naturalization Papers and can anyone please advise as to how I might trace
      that back to an Ellis Island Manifest? I have a great-aunt that I have been
      trying to identify as to when she came to the US and we only know her
      married surname and, if I can relate a Certificate of Arrival Number back to
      a Manifest, it will resolve a mystery that my brother and I have been trying
      to solve for 5 years now.

      FYI: Also, I am tracking the following family names (Arrivals from 1900 -
      1910) and would appreciate if anyone else has any information on the
      following..

      Paternal Side of Family

      Gaba from Vagujfalu or Nove Mesto

      Hanacsek from Kocsoce or Trencin

      Hajdusek from Kocsoce or Trencin

      Maternal Side of Family

      Bull (Bul) from Nyitra Sarfo or Radosina

      Vrba from Radosina

      Thanks,

      Gary

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 24, 2010
        Barbara,

        In case you did not know, Varsanyik is spelled Vars~anik in modern Slovak. There are still Vars~anik that live in Sliepkovce and Michalovce, any relation?

        Curt B