Re: [S-R] Vaclav Szalenka query

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 24, 2010
      Hi Sylvia,

      So you have roots in lovely Tekov. Your villages are north of Levice in south western Slovakia.

      They had the most beautiful and unusual folk dress in this region. I understand that the Turks were there occupying it for some 200 years and you can see that influence.

      Super to have the parish - that should help you in the LDS records. Rybnik appears to have only one church and i would bet that is Roman Catholic.

      helene

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 24, 2010
        The Hungarian forms of these tiny neighboring villages were Peszer and
        Tolmacs in old Bars county. Roman Catholic records for Tolmacs are found
        with the town of Garam-Szollos, 1754-1895. Those for Peszer are with
        Szent-Benedek, 1818-1949. The microfilms can be rented at your local Family
        History Center (www.familysearch.org <http://www.familysearch.org/> ) and
        you should be able to trace both families in those records.

        Janet

        _____

        My grandmother gave Me an extract from marriage certificate for:
        Marriage dated: 26 November 1848
        Groom: Vaclav Szalenka (from Psare)
        Bride: Maria Vaszarakova (from Tlmace)

        The extract is from Farsky Urad in Rybnik.

        This is as far as I traced my oldest ancestor. I am now trying to find out
        when/where Vaclav was born, if he had any siblings and his parents' names.
        Help from this group - how to move forward with my research - would be
        greatly appreciated.

        Thank you.

        Kind regards

        Sylvia

      • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 27, 2010
          Thanks John - this is very helpful.  Sorry, the religion was Roman - Catholic for both.  Unfortunately, I live in UK - how would I go about ordering the films? I suspect the films are only available 'in person' - is there any service or anyone who I can ask to view the films on my behalf?

          Again, thank you for your help.

          Kind regards, Sylvia

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 27, 2010
            Hi,