Re: Vaclav Szalenka query

  • John
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 24, 2010
      >>> This is as far as I traced my oldest ancestor. I am now trying to find out when/where Vaclav was born, if he had any siblings and his parents' names. <<<

      AFTER you have researched the 1869 Hungarian Census, you will KNOW the religion and year/place of birth of the individuals in each house.

      LDS does NOT show films of church records for Tlmace and Psiare . . . but these may exist in the Slovak Archive and may be indexed and available from LDS/FHC at some future date. Here's how to find out what's in the archive.

      LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
      Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil registration. Provides details of church records that are held in Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references refer to different religions. These fiches are often in the basic inventory of your local LDS Family History Center (FHC).
    • John
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 24, 2010
        >>> Groom: Vaclav Szalenka (from Psare) [sic]
        Bride: Maria Vaszarakova (from Tlmace) <<<

        1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
        The old Hungarian map can be found at: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/bars.jpg

        Look in the gold area north of LEVA to find Tolmacs and Peszer. These are your villages on the 1910 Bars Megye = county map.

        SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program. CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will likely find in church records.

        CURRENT MAP
        To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 24, 2010
          Hi Sylvia,

          So you have roots in lovely Tekov. Your villages are north of Levice in south western Slovakia.

          They had the most beautiful and unusual folk dress in this region. I understand that the Turks were there occupying it for some 200 years and you can see that influence.

          Super to have the parish - that should help you in the LDS records. Rybnik appears to have only one church and i would bet that is Roman Catholic.

          helene

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 24, 2010
            The Hungarian forms of these tiny neighboring villages were Peszer and
            Tolmacs in old Bars county. Roman Catholic records for Tolmacs are found
            with the town of Garam-Szollos, 1754-1895. Those for Peszer are with
            Szent-Benedek, 1818-1949. The microfilms can be rented at your local Family
            History Center (www.familysearch.org <http://www.familysearch.org/> ) and
            you should be able to trace both families in those records.

            Janet

            _____

            My grandmother gave Me an extract from marriage certificate for:
            Marriage dated: 26 November 1848
            Groom: Vaclav Szalenka (from Psare)
            Bride: Maria Vaszarakova (from Tlmace)

            The extract is from Farsky Urad in Rybnik.

            This is as far as I traced my oldest ancestor. I am now trying to find out
            when/where Vaclav was born, if he had any siblings and his parents' names.
            Help from this group - how to move forward with my research - would be
            greatly appreciated.

            Thank you.

            Kind regards

            Sylvia

          • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 27, 2010
              Thanks John - this is very helpful.  Sorry, the religion was Roman - Catholic for both.  Unfortunately, I live in UK - how would I go about ordering the films? I suspect the films are only available 'in person' - is there any service or anyone who I can ask to view the films on my behalf?

              Again, thank you for your help.

              Kind regards, Sylvia

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 27, 2010
                Hi,