Vaclav Szalenka query

  • sali777
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 24, 2010
      Hi

      My grandmother gave Me an extract from marriage certificate for:
      Marriage dated: 26 November 1848
      Groom: Vaclav Szalenka (from Psare)
      Bride: Maria Vaszarakova (from Tlmace)

      The extract is from Farsky Urad in Rybnik.

      This is as far as I traced my oldest ancestor. I am now trying to find out when/where Vaclav was born, if he had any siblings and his parents' names. Help from this group - how to move forward with my research - would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank you.

      Kind regards

      Sylvia
    • John
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 24, 2010
        >>> marriage certificate for:
        Marriage dated: 26 November 1848
        Groom: Vaclav Szalenka (from Psare) [sic]
        Bride: Maria Vaszarakova (from Tlmace)
        . . . This is as far as I traced my oldest ancestor. I am now trying to find out when/where Vaclav was born, if he had any siblings and his parents' names. <<<

        1) You must specify the RELIGION in order to proceed.
        2) Tlmace is 10 km NW Levice; Psiare is 4.5 km north of Tlmace.
        3) BASIC RESEARCH HELP
        For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich’s excellent site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

        FamilySearch Wiki has a Slovakia Portal page where you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Slovak records of genealogical value. https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia

        4) A GREAT place to start would be the 1869 Hungarian Census, avbailable on film at your nearest LDS Family Histry Center (FHC).

        Tolmács (Tlmače) Film #2199562 Item 3
        Peszér (Hronský Beňadik, Psiare) Film #2201275 Item 7

        The census films will tell you about everybody in each house in 1869.

        RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
        The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve the microfilm readers to view these records.

        There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need groups like this to point you in the right direction.

        When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the religion. To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths (zomreli).

        You can go to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) web site to locate your nearest Family History Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.
      • John
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 24, 2010
          >>> Groom: Vaclav Szalenka (from Psare)
          Bride: Maria Vaszarakova (from Tlmace)<<<

          SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
          You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by looking them up in the phone book white pages at http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

          To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of last name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the web page.

          Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html

          SALENKA seem to have relocated to the larger town of Zlate Moravce.
          Salenka František, Hviezdoslavova 1782/24, Zlaté Moravce
          VAS(Z)ARAK(OVA) does not appear in current phone listings for Slovakia.
        • John
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 24, 2010
            >>> This is as far as I traced my oldest ancestor. I am now trying to find out when/where Vaclav was born, if he had any siblings and his parents' names. <<<

            AFTER you have researched the 1869 Hungarian Census, you will KNOW the religion and year/place of birth of the individuals in each house.

            LDS does NOT show films of church records for Tlmace and Psiare . . . but these may exist in the Slovak Archive and may be indexed and available from LDS/FHC at some future date. Here's how to find out what's in the archive.

            LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
            Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil registration. Provides details of church records that are held in Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references refer to different religions. These fiches are often in the basic inventory of your local LDS Family History Center (FHC).
          • John
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 24, 2010
              >>> Groom: Vaclav Szalenka (from Psare) [sic]
              Bride: Maria Vaszarakova (from Tlmace) <<<

              1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
              The old Hungarian map can be found at: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/bars.jpg

              Look in the gold area north of LEVA to find Tolmacs and Peszer. These are your villages on the 1910 Bars Megye = county map.

              SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program. CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will likely find in church records.

              CURRENT MAP
              To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 24, 2010
                Hi Sylvia,

                So you have roots in lovely Tekov. Your villages are north of Levice in south western Slovakia.

                They had the most beautiful and unusual folk dress in this region. I understand that the Turks were there occupying it for some 200 years and you can see that influence.

                Super to have the parish - that should help you in the LDS records. Rybnik appears to have only one church and i would bet that is Roman Catholic.

                helene

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 24, 2010
                  The Hungarian forms of these tiny neighboring villages were Peszer and
                  Tolmacs in old Bars county. Roman Catholic records for Tolmacs are found
                  with the town of Garam-Szollos, 1754-1895. Those for Peszer are with
                  Szent-Benedek, 1818-1949. The microfilms can be rented at your local Family
                  History Center (www.familysearch.org <http://www.familysearch.org/> ) and
                  you should be able to trace both families in those records.

                  Janet

                  _____

                  My grandmother gave Me an extract from marriage certificate for:
                  Marriage dated: 26 November 1848
                  Groom: Vaclav Szalenka (from Psare)
                  Bride: Maria Vaszarakova (from Tlmace)

                  The extract is from Farsky Urad in Rybnik.

                  This is as far as I traced my oldest ancestor. I am now trying to find out
                  when/where Vaclav was born, if he had any siblings and his parents' names.
                  Help from this group - how to move forward with my research - would be
                  greatly appreciated.

                  Thank you.

                  Kind regards

                  Sylvia

                • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 27, 2010
                    Thanks John - this is very helpful.  Sorry, the religion was Roman - Catholic for both.  Unfortunately, I live in UK - how would I go about ordering the films? I suspect the films are only available 'in person' - is there any service or anyone who I can ask to view the films on my behalf?

                    Again, thank you for your help.

                    Kind regards, Sylvia

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 27, 2010
                      Hi,