Family Name Saladna

  • Elaine
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 23, 2010
      Hi everyone, I need your help on another name: Saladna.

      While I'm waiting for the microfilm on my Kolarcik family, I did some
      research on Saladna, my mother's maternal line. I never met anyone
      from that side of the family, because her mother died while she was
      young, and her father remarried.

      In checking the census, I learned my great grandparents were George
      Saladna and Barbara Ferency. They said they were from Austria and were
      Slovak. I have scoured immigration records, but cannot find anyone
      close to that name. They came in 1888/1890, and indicated they were
      naturalized--but I couldn't find those records either!

      I tried all kinds of wildcards in my searches (and Bill, I really
      tried to think differently!) to no avail. The closest I got to a
      possible version of Saladna was a Szalatnay, but that wasn't them.

      The library closed before I could check for military/draft records,
      I'll try that next.

      The search was not fruitless, though--in following up on some Google
      info, I just spoke to Rev. George Saladna, one of 3 living members of
      the generation of my mom's cousins! Unfortunately, although he was
      named for his grandfather, he doesn't know anything about their
      ancestral village.

      Looking forward to your ideas!

      Elaine

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 23, 2010
        Elaine,
        Searched the 1995 Slovak Census for the surnames. Very little. There was one Saladnai in Banska Bystrica and two Ferency in Komarno. Ellis Island only had one Mihaly Szaladna, 17, arriving 19 Jan 1903. Last residence was Forro, Hungary.
        If your relatives came between 1888 and 1890 they would have come in through Castle Gardens. Ellis Island didn't open until 1892. Those records are on Ancestry.com.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 23, 2010
          Thanks very much, Michael, I'm glad to know that there are at least a
          couple similar names. And it is good to know that the current census
          actually has such close names to what was on the US census, given what
          I've seen on my other names!

          I was on Ancestry.com for the search I did, specifically to their
          immigration section. Maybe the reason Mihaly Szaladna didn't show up
          was that I put in George's birthday year, 1862. I'll look again, and
          see if they have a specific database for Castle Gardens, I had
          forgotten about that. If they do have it, that could narrow my search.

          I appreciate your help!

          Elaine

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Feb 23, 2010, at 12:36 PM, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
          wrote:

          > Elaine,
          > Searched the 1995 Slovak Census for the surnames. Very little. There
          > was one Saladnai in Banska Bystrica and two Ferency in Komarno.
          > Ellis Island only had one Mihaly Szaladna, 17, arriving 19 Jan 1903.
          > Last residence was Forro, Hungary.
          > If your relatives came between 1888 and 1890 they would have come in
          > through Castle Gardens. Ellis Island didn't open until 1892. Those
          > records are on Ancestry.com.

        • John
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 23, 2010
            We don't have the village. However, you do have some other family GEOGRAPHY. Where might one look in terms of Hungarian MEGYE = county?

            Any idea about religion?
          • Elaine
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 23, 2010
              They are Roman Catholic.