Need Information on Stanislav Bodnovich

  • Patrick Rouan
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 20, 2010
      I am looking for any information on relatives I may still have, or information on ancestors of Stephan Stanislav who emmigrated to the USA in 1900 and his wife Anna Bodnovich (or Bodnovic?) who emmigrated in 1910. I believe they were both from the Spis region.

      Any information or leads would be helpful.

      Thanks!

      Patrick Rouan

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 21, 2010
        Hi Patrick,

        In the Slovak Pride data base I have 3 listings for Bodnovic and 4 for Stanislav, all in Spis, mainly in two villages. Contact me directly at helenezx@...

        helene

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 21, 2010
          >>> I believe they were both from the Spis region. <<<

          When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the religion.

          BASIC RESEARCH HELP
          For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich’s excellent site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

          FamilySearch Wiki has a Slovakia Portal page where you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Slovak records of genealogical value. https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia
        • John
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 21, 2010
            >>> ancestors of Stephan Stanislav who emmigrated [sic] to the USA in 1900 and his wife Anna Bodnovich (or Bodnovic?) . . . I believe they were both from the Spis region. <<<

            In addition to Helen's information, current phone listings suggest these location possibilities: Markušovce, Spišská Nová Ves, Rudňany. These place are quite close to one and other.

            It is essential that you determine the village and religion. Church records are available.
          • Patrick Rouan
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
              Thank you for responding to my email on Slovak-Roots. Here is the information I have been able to gather:

              Stephen
              Stanislav, my maternal grandfather, was born June 10, 1881 in Koterba,
              Spiska Zupa, Slovakia. He came to the United States around 1900. He
              had 4 siblings, George, Veronica, Mary and Catherine. He was the son of
              Stephen Stanislav, born in the same location in 1845. His mother's
              maiden name was Catherina Kalafut, also born in Koterba in 1851. Her
              father's name was Andreas Kalafut. I am not sure where he was born or
              anything else about him. I know nothing about her mother.

              My
              maternal grandmother, Anna Bodnovich was also born in Koterba in 1891
              and came to the United States around 1910. Her father Andrej Bodnovich
              was born in Koterba in 1855 and died there ( I think) on April 28,
              1944. Her mother was Julia Vogner. I know nothing else about her. Anna
              had 4 siblings, Andrew, John, Julia and Susan.

              I know they
              attended the Greek Catholic Church when they settled in Youngstown,
              Ohio in the early 1910's so I suspect that is the faith they practiced
              in Slovakia.

              Any further information or leads you can supply
              would be sincerely appreciated. I am also interested if there may
              still be some distant relatives in the region I can potentially contact.

              ________________________________

            • david1law@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
                KOTERBA is possibly the village of RUDNANY in the SPIS region of Slovakia.
                RUDNANY is also known as KOTTERBACH in German. KOTTERBACH means "Copper
                Creek" and is sometimes referred ot KOTTERBACHY among other derivative
                names. I hope that this helps a little.

                Best regards,

                David

              • david1law@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
                  I just re-read your email and the earlier message from John Adam. As my
                  friend John noted, the surname BODNOVICH does appear in RUDNANY. I would
                  recommend that you concentrate your initial efforts there, as the surname
                  BODNOVICH and the village name KOTERBA appear to both match RUDNANY
                  (KOTTERBACH in German). KOTERBA is most likely a derivative form of KOTTERBACH /
                  KOTTERBACHY.

                  Best regards,

                  David

                • John
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
                    >>> Stephen Stanislav, my maternal grandfather, was born June 10, 1881 in Koterba, Spiska Zupa, Slovakia. . . . He was the son of Stephen Stanislav, born in the same location in 1845. His mother's maiden name was Catherina Kalafut, also born in Koterba in 1851. Her father's name was Andreas Kalafut. . . .

                    My maternal grandmother, Anna Bodnovich was also born in Koterba in 1891 . . . father Andrej Bodnovich was born in Koterba in 1855 and died there ( I think) on April 28, 1944. Her mother was Julia Vogner. . . . I know they attended the Greek Catholic Church <<<

                    Koterba [sic] is now called Rudnany. GC church records are available for nearby Porac'.

                    LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Poráè, Slovensko, Czechoslovakia, formerly known as Porács, Szepes, Hungary. Includes affiliate Rudòany.

                    Krsty 1789-1927 Uzavreté manželstvá 1789-1884 Úmrtia 1789-1866 - Film #1791519 Items 2-4

                    Krsty 1927-1949 Uzavreté manželstvá 1885-1949 Úmrtia 1867-1949 - Film #1791520 Items 1-3

                    The very informative 1869 Hungarian Census is also available.
                    Kotterbach (Rudòany) Film # 2149910 Item 4

                    Happy squinting
                  • John
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
                      Kotterbach, was mapped as Otosbanya on the 1910 map and today is Rudnany, Slovakia.

                      1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
                      The old Hungarian map can be found at: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg

                      Look near the bottom, southeast of IGLO an the way to GOLNICZBANYA to find Otosbanya in the light green area. That is your village.

                      SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program. CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will likely find in church records.
                    • Michael Mojher

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
                          http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/rudnany/rudnany.html Information website on Rudnany

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
                            >>> Stephen Stanislav . . . His mother's maiden name was Catherina Kalafut . . . My maternal grandmother, Anna Bodnovich . . . Her mother was Julia Vogner [sic]. <<<

                            SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
                            You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by looking them up in the phone book white pages at http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

                            To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of last name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the web page.

                            Peter Nagy offers English-language instructions http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html

                            STANISLAV(OVA) appears 41X in Rudnany. KALAFUT(OVA) appears 32X in Rudnany. BODNOVICOVA appears 2X in Rudnany and BUDNOVIC once in nearby Markusovce. VAGNER apperas only once in Spisska Nova Ves and then much further away.

                            Based upon that information we can be fairly certain of having the correct village.
                          • John
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
                              Try VAGNER.