fACEBOOK

  • Tom Geiss
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
      My friend over there has suggested FACEBOOK as a way to possibly get some contact with my GURKO and PASTOREK surnames. She claims that there are some in the site?

      I'm trying to join, but it looks like I may have to get one of their servers, like Yahoo or something else.
      I'm not very good with web sites. Looking for input.
      Tom

    • Judy G
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
        I joined a couple of years ago, at which time all that was required was your name, some personal information (nothing crucial) and an email address.

        There is also a Slovak Genealogy group on Facebook. It has not been very active, but the Facebook population is aging, so perhaps it will become more so.

        Judy

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
          I've been on Facebook for a few months...verdict is still out.  Their website seems unstable at times (locks up, errors out, sluggish).

          Having said that, I did dabble and create a group called Ruska Nova Ves in Facebook.  If anyone has dealings with that village (ancestors, relatives, photos, stories, etc) I invite you to join my group.

          ____________ _________ _________ __

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
            Ruska Nova Ves is not that far from Presov. Would there by any chance be anyone living there named GUMINSZKI or GUMINSKI? A Terezia Guminski married my grandma's brother, Jozef Gurko, in Brezovica, in 1893. She , and her parents were" Sl'achtic" (aristocratic). She died in 1954. Who knows, she may have had family in Ruska Nova Ves???

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
              Judy,
              You have a very rare case where your searched surname, Guminszki / Guminski is not found in the 1995 Slovak Census. And there was only one listing for Gurko. So it appears that both of your family lines may have died out in Slovakia.
              There are two places named Brezovica in Slovakia. The closest is about 30 miles west of Presov, not too far from my ancestral village. It also happens to be next to a village named Bresovicka. The good new is the Brezovica records are online. Bresovica is a Greek Catholic village. So it can be found under that heading. Here is the link: http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/#start Click on "Browse Record Collection (with magnifying glass)", Click on "All regions (diamond) and choose Europe", Click on "Browse Collection", scroll down to Slovakia, Click on 2nd choice (Slovakia Place names). Click on "Greek Catholic", scroll down to Brezovica, Click Bresovica, Double click on one of the record choices, Click on a choice given, begin viewing.
              One of the interesting things about Sl'achtic / aristocratic in Slovakia is titles were handed out rather liberally. I once read that the vast majority of Slovak royalty were "dirt poor", they had no land holdings. So good luck finding yours has something beyond a title. Especially coming from the villages they are from.

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                Hi. Somehow this came me by mistake. I am not Judy.

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
                  Hello:

                  The name appears to possibly be Polish. The -SKI suffix is typically
                  Polish, while the -SKY suffix is typically Slovak. There are two places in
                  Poland, one called GEMINO and another called GEMMIN, where the surname may
                  possibly and ultimately trace back to.

                  Best regards,

                  David

                • christine mackara
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
                    Tom,

                    I was looking through the GC Church Records of Presov for elusive Marriage of Michael Makara between 1810 and 1820.
                    Didn't find it!
                    However I found this.
                    The film is # 889 image 27.
                    11 May 1823, book page 47 .......cum, Maria, vidua GYURKO
                    Would she be in your family?

                    <married my grandma's brother, Jozef Gurko, in Brezovica, in 1893. >

                    Christine

                  • Tom Geiss
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
                      Christine,
                      It's always possible. I will save that info, and file it away. I also found, while viewing microfilm of Brezovica, a lot of GUERKOS??
                      Of course, my family was Roman Catholic.
                      Mike, I was able to see some of the records online, but,GOSH , I could never read that stuff. Besides having to enlarge it, I recall Brezovica records were either in Hungarian or German? Tom
                      I was looking through the GC Church Records of Presov for elusive Marriage of Michael Makara between 1810 and 1820.
                      Didn't find it!
                      However I found this.
                      The film is # 889 image 27.
                      11 May 1823, book page 47 .......cum, Maria, vidua GYURKO
                      Would she be in your family?

                      <married my grandma's brother, Jozef Gurko, in Brezovica, in 1893. >

                      Christine

                    • Marilyn Hertenstein
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
                        I’ve been on Facebook for over a year and disagree with your verdict. I love it. It is maintained and down for maintenance occasionally, but comes right back in minutes. For our computer and laptop, it does not lock up or error. Of course you need to have current virus checking software like McAfee or Norton, but that’s just common sense. It is also not sluggish for us, at any speed. I’ve found two branches of my family on line there, one I hadn’t known of and a whole new generation of another who helped me fill in the blanks. I’ve not joined the groups you mentioned but will check them out. Facebook has endless possibilities, I suggest you give it a try.

                        Marilyn

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
                          Tom,
                          You are going to find that all of the Slovak record basically are in Latin or Hungarian, sometimes Slovak. http://www.bmi.net/~latin/ at this website you will find a translation of the headings used in the records. Copy from the Table of Contents the three record headings to guide you.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
                            >>> I was looking through the GC Church Records of Presov for elusive Marriage of Michael Makara between 1810 and 1820. Didn't find it! <<<

                            Are you looking in the BRIDE'S parish?
                          • christine mackara
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
                              Yes, I was looking for the Brides parrish.

                              I have been very lucky so far. I have copied all the Makara's from the RC Church Records of Raznany, which includes Uz Peklin/Uzovske Peklany, and Jernye/Jarovnice. Over 100 or so. 13 Joannes, 19 Maria's, 11 Andreas, 4 Michael, 7 Stefan and others. I found about 25 names associated with the Makara's, godparents and men, that married Makara daughters. I found, what I feel, is our grandfather Stefan Makara's Fathers Birth in 1819, but the Mothers Name is not quite what I expected, so I was hoping to find the marriage. I have looked in a wide circle around Uz Peklin for a marriage of Michael Makara to Maria Dohan or Dohäzsak, but am still looking !

                              Christine

                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
                                Hello all:

                                For anyone interested in hearing the Slovak anthem and some Slovak hymns
                                and seeing some awesome photographs from Slovakia, please check out the
                                following YouTube video:

                                _YouTube - Slovakia - Slovensko - Slovak Anthem - Slovenska hymna_
                                (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQJzqMdngKo&feature=fvw)

                                _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQJzqMdngKo&feature=fvw_
                                (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQJzqMdngKo&feature=fvw)

                                I particularly liked the photographs.

                                Best regards,

                                David

                              • Tom Geiss
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 21, 2010
                                  Marilyn, you say that "You found a couple branches of your family tree" on facebook.
                                  I would like more details, either on or off this site.
                                  It was my friend, Dorothy, in Spisska Nova Ves, who led me to their web site. You have written to her awhile back.
                                  I am trying every thing I can to locate SURVIVORS, if they exist.
                                  Tom

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 21, 2010
                                    I absolutley love face book and it is a great genealogy tool.

                                    I have met many family members there and stay in touch with a couple
                                    cousins I have found in Slovakia.

                                    There are many surname groups and I too have started one of my own.
                                    (Haluska Surname) I hope it takes off!

                                    BTW, Slovakia crushed Latvia 6-0 in Olympic Ice Hockey!

                                    Dennis

                                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn Hertenstein"
                                    <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:

                                    > I’ve been on Facebook for over a year and disagree with your
                                    verdict. I love it. It is maintained and down for maintenance
                                    occasionally, but comes right back in minutes. For our computer and
                                    laptop, it does not lock up or error. Of course you need to have current
                                    virus checking software like McAfee or Norton, but that’s just
                                    common sense. It is also not sluggish for us, at any speed. I’ve
                                    found two branches of my family on line there, one I hadn’t known
                                    of and a whole new generation of another who helped me fill in the
                                    blanks. I’ve not joined the groups you mentioned but will check
                                    them out. Facebook has endless possibilities, I suggest you give it a
                                    try.

                                    > Marilyn

                                    <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > Date: Friday, February 19, 2010, 9:07 PM
                                    >

                                    > I joined a couple of years ago, at which time all that was required
                                    was your name, some personal information (nothing crucial) and an email
                                    address.

                                    > There is also a Slovak Genealogy group on Facebook. It has not been
                                    very active, but the Facebook population is aging, so perhaps it will
                                    become more so.

                                    > Judy
                                    >
                                    > ____________ _________ _________ __

                                  • John/Cathy Cherry
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 21, 2010
                                      Hi, my name is Cathy and I too would like to know what to do on facebook to find family.

                                    • Gloria
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 21, 2010
                                        What I have done is to do a Facebook Search for the Surname you are researching. This is right in the Facebook search button. There may be other options
                                        but this has worked for me.
                                        I inserted the name Koribanics and several there. All from Slovakia initially but some in the states now and so far no relation although one
                                        never really know how far back anyone really looks for a name,

                                        Gloria Kurbanick
                                        Researching Koribanic(s)

                                      • Marilyn Hertenstein
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 21, 2010
                                          Tom,
                                          I found the people by simple putting in the surname, finding the matches and
                                          writing to them. One branch of my family existed, but I knew nothing about
                                          them or their children and grandchildren. By finding one of them, making
                                          friends and exchanging emails I was suggested to make friends with more in
                                          their family that were on line, and by writing to each of them for their
                                          vitals, I now have a much more completed branch. And by having my maiden
                                          name in my on line name I've had people contact me on the Varsa line. They
                                          spelled their name Varso but were from the same area in Ohio, and by
                                          exchanging email and information I was able to trace their family back 2
                                          generations where it hooked up with mine.thus more cousins.

                                          There new finds were all in the USA. My suggestion to all is keep leaving
                                          posts on all the boards. When you look up a name and it matches your
                                          family, leave a post note or something saying this is your family and you
                                          have more information to share. More and more people are getting computers
                                          and getting into tracing their family tree, it's just a matter of time until
                                          someone finds your posts. Also, places like Ancestry.com is constantly
                                          adding new databases. Go back and check on your already done research,
                                          something new may have been added. Genealogy never ends.

                                          Yes, I remember Dorothy. She sent me telephone listings of people in
                                          Slovakia, but I do not speak the language and have not called any of them.
                                          She did not seem to have the time or interest in doing something like that,
                                          and with her health problems, I didn't want to impose.

                                          Good Luck,
                                          Marilyn

                                          <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQJzqMdngKo&feature=fvw> &feature=fvw)

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 21, 2010
                                            There is a search window on top, and all you have to do is enter a surname,
                                            and it will tell you if anyone with that surname is a member of FB. Some
                                            results will list just names, others will have cities or countries listed,
                                            depending on what that individual agreed to make known. Write to those
                                            people with the same last name and see if they ever traced their family tree
                                            back to 'so and so' or a certain village. It's a hit or miss thing, but you
                                            can generate a generic letter and just cut and paste the letter, so there's
                                            no real effort on your part. Or you can enter a certain persons' name and
                                            see if it comes up. Of course these all have to be living people who have
                                            computers, it does not deal with ancestors from the old country! Hahah It's
                                            not that kind of website.

                                            Marilyn

                                            Hi, my name is Cathy and I too would like to know what to do on facebook to
                                            find family.

                                          • Joe zima
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 22, 2010
                                              Facebook is a great place to find living relatives and I have found many in my villages in the western part of Slovakia.  Most people on Facebook are young  and therefore speak at least some English...and that's a good thing as my Slovak is limited.  Those who plan on searching for surnames should also remember to include the feminine form of the surname in your search.

                                              Joe Zima

                                              From: haluska <ddhalusker@...>
                                              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                                              Date: Sunday, February 21, 2010, 11:34 AM

                                              <mjhertenstein@ ...> wrote:

                                              > I’ve been on Facebook for over a year and disagree with your
                                              verdict. I love it. It is maintained and down for maintenance
                                              occasionally, but comes right back in minutes. For our computer and
                                              laptop, it does not lock up or error. Of course you need to have current
                                              virus checking software like McAfee or Norton, but that’s just
                                              common sense. It is also not sluggish for us, at any speed. I’ve
                                              found two branches of my family on line there, one I hadn’t known
                                              of and a whole new generation of another who helped me fill in the
                                              blanks. I’ve not joined the groups you mentioned but will check
                                              them out. Facebook has endless possibilities, I suggest you give it a
                                              try.

                                              > Marilyn

                                            • Daniel Koudelka
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 22, 2010
                                                It Sounded good But......
                                                On Facebook there ar over 500 People with Surname Koudelka
                                                 So i put together a short form letter (to cut and paste)inviting members to a group I started
                                                Titled Origins by Koudelka after the 6th e-mail I sent out
                                                I recived a warning from facebook accusing me of Spamming
                                                Which Poo-poo'ed on my parade.
                                                 I dont think they would mind as long as each message is diffrent enough
                                                to be considered hand written.
                                                So i may try another route by starting a page for my daugther and Friending members
                                                and then i could send them invite to join Group
                                                no-one wants spam i understand, but a one time message?
                                                 I would not mind deleting one if i was not interested.
                                                Any Thoughts or Ideas?

                                                                                          Thanks Dan

                                                ________________________________

                                                Hi, my name is Cathy and I too would like to know what to do on facebook to
                                                find family.

                                              • Caye Caswick
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 22, 2010
                                                  sign up for Google Alerts for your surname -- then when you get an interesting hit (from Facebook and other places) -- you can pick and choose whether or not to contact that person via e-mail -- that should prevent the Facebook poo-poo-ing on your parade thang -- just a suggestion.

                                                  Caye

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 22, 2010
                                                    Start a FB group with the name 'Slovak' or 'Rusyn', etc. in it. People WILL
                                                    find it. I belong to 2 Facebook groups now, one is called 'Carpatho-Rusyns
                                                    Everywhere' and the other is 'I am Rusyn.' People will search for the word
                                                    'Slovaks' and find your group, so there's really no need to send out letters
                                                    to people. Word of mouth is the best advertisement, and once a few people
                                                    find it, it will grow faster than you can even imagine. Good luck.....Gina

                                                    On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Daniel Koudelka
                                                    <koudelkadaniel@...>wrote:

                                                    > It Sounded good But......
                                                    > On Facebook there ar over 500 People with Surname Koudelka
                                                    > So i put together a short form letter (to cut and paste)inviting members
                                                    > to a group I started
                                                    > Titled Origins by Koudelka after the 6th e-mail I sent out
                                                    > I recived a warning from facebook accusing me of Spamming
                                                    > Which Poo-poo'ed on my parade.
                                                    > I dont think they would mind as long as each message is diffrent enough
                                                    > to be considered hand written.
                                                    > So i may try another route by starting a page for my daugther and Friending
                                                    > members
                                                    > and then i could send them invite to join Group
                                                    > no-one wants spam i understand, but a one time message?
                                                    > I would not mind deleting one if i was not interested.
                                                    > Any Thoughts or Ideas?
                                                    >
                                                    > Thanks Dan
                                                    >

                                                    > ________________________________

                                                    The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
                                                    who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting
                                                    adoption! Help feed tens of thousands of animals every day with a simple
                                                    click--AT NO COST TO YOU (no catch)! Visit
                                                    http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com today-PLEASE!

                                                    I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train! ;-O

                                                  • Marilyn Hertenstein
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 23, 2010
                                                      Tom, there are 5 people on Facebook with the last name Gurko.

                                                      <http://www.facebook.com/search/?flt=1&q=GURKO&o=2048&sid=594688173.12575530
                                                      93..1> People
                                                      139 Results

                                                      <http://www.facebook.com/jgurko?ref=search&sid=594688173.1257553093..1>