Re: Slovak Place Names Database

  • pstupak
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2010
      Thank you for your comments Frank!

      I completely agree about the benefits of Access over Excel, but I'm wondering if this project is complicated enough to require Access. If all we're doing is essentially creating a list then I think Excel, with it's ease of use, may be superior. This is especially true given the large amounts of data that we're trying to assemble because Excel would enable us to spread the work among a greater number of people.

      So I think this brings up the great question: why do we want this database? Is the primary purpose simply to list all iterations of village names? If that is the case then there is little need for a database, as we're merely creating a list that someone can simply CTRL-F to find the village they are interested in. Even if we also want to involve names then there still isn't too much interactivity that would require an Access database.

      I suppose we could use a relational database so you could pull up just your information, but that seems to be a lot of work for a little pay off. Even worse is that there are relatively few people who could participate in creating an Access database. Instead I would strongly urge that we use Excel to basically just create a list that people can search through for their information.