More than one last name

  • cathy.cherry
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 12, 2010
      On the pilot program #1203 RC, village Szinye, page 155 I cannot understand his name. Andreas Karabinos, uel Kovaly. I don't understand what the uel is? Could someone please tell me. My problem is that I have a Andreas Karabinos married to a Maria Grega and a Andreas Karabinos Kovaly married to a Maria Grega both having children about the same time period but the births are not overlaping in any way. I am wondering if they are the same people?

      Thanks for any help you can give me.

      Cathy
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2010
        Cathy,
        Two villages have used Szinye. Hungary
        2292 Svinia PO/PV saris.
        1773 Szinye, Swina, 1786 Sinye, Swina, 1808 Szinye, Swinná, Swinné, 1863-1913 Szinye, 1920 Svina, 1927- Svinia

        2293 Svinica KS/KI abov.
        1773 Szinye, Swinitz, Swinicza, 1786 Sinye, Swinicza, 1808 Szinye, Swinica, 1863-1913 Petoszinye, 1920- Svinica

        Priezvisko KARABINOS sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 267×, celkový pocet lokalít: 49, najcastejsie výskyty v lokalitách:
        SVINIA, okr. PRESOV - 12×;

        Priezvisko KARABINOS sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 40×, celkový pocet lokalít: 15, v lokalitách:
        SVINIA, okr. PRESOV - 2×;

        There are fair number of Karabinos' in the 1995 Slovak Census. Svinia had 14 under two spellings.

        Kovaly had only had 5 listings; 3 in Bratislava and 2 in Kosice.

        On the pilot program #1203 RC, village Szinye, page 155 I cannot understand his name. Andreas Karabinos, uel Kovaly. I don't understand what the uel is? Could someone please tell me. My problem is that I have a Andreas Karabinos married to a Maria Grega and a Andreas Karabinos Kovaly married to a Maria Grega both having children about the same time period but the births are not overlaping in any way. I am wondering if they are the same people?

        Thanks for any help you can give me.

        Cathy

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2010
          Cathy,
          I have seen this before in church records. the uel or vel, is just Latin meaning "or". It sometimes is used before adding the "alias" second name. You can't really tell if its the same person or not by looking at just the one entry. You have to make a judgement by looking at the whole sequence, the timing ( ninemonth pregnancy), including the sponsors at baptism which are often repeated.

          Curt B.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cathy.cherry" <webcherry@...> wrote:

          > On the pilot program #1203 RC, village Szinye, page 155 I cannot understand his name. Andreas Karabinos, uel Kovaly. I don't understand what the uel is? Could someone please tell me. My problem is that I have a Andreas Karabinos married to a Maria Grega and a Andreas Karabinos Kovaly married to a Maria Grega both having children about the same time period but the births are not overlaping in any way. I am wondering if they are the same people?
          >
          > Thanks for any help you can give me.
          >
          > Cathy

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 13, 2010
            Michael,
            Kovaly is the Hungarian spelling found in church records. Modern Slovak spelling is Koval' or Koval'ova.

            Curt B.

          • david1law@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 13, 2010
              Dear Cathy:

              To follow-up on Curt's excellent point, it is best to look for the birth,
              marriage, and death records for any siblings, and thus be able to compare
              sponsors at baptism, witnesses at marriage, house numbers, etc.

              Best regards,

              David

            • John/Cathy Cherry
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 13, 2010
                Thank you for your responses. Everyone is so kind to share their knowledge. It really helps when you are doing research outside of your culture and language base. What made me think that they were the same people was the sponsors were all the same in the 6 births. I just couldn't understand why they would use both names. It really helped to know that vel was or. There seems to be two brothers using Karabinos Kovaly. This was before they had house number on the baptism records. I am keeping another sheet of all the names I found for the families, where they live and what their house numbers were. It is helping put families together.

                You folks are the best! Thanks again.

                Cathy

                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com