Need advice for first LDS family center visit

  • koudelkadaniel
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 12, 2010
      I'm not quite sure what to expect, i have my list of towns i have some clues, might be where to find info on grandparents.
      Albert and Katarina(Tvrdy)Koudelka
      I still have not found them at port of arrival, I have date from Declaration index of 6-13-06 arrival, according to census info my grandparents were married prior to immagration but i have found no info yet of them entering country together or seperate.
      I did find a Jotech Koudelka within a day of date mentioned
      and have found Jotech=Adalbert and sometimes Adalberts are Alberts?
      Have tried steve morses site and many ports of arrival is there any thing at LDS Center that i might check?
      WW2 registration gives birthtown as Gastorf with a ?
      Transulated obits give Casdorfu Bohemia Trying Gasdorf/Hostka Gastorf, Gaisdorf, or Gotzdorf
      Hers said Born Bicclavi Moravia Trying Vaclavi and Breclav
      I think i will have to order the slides?
      am i looking for census or church records?
      for about 1900-1904 when they immagrated
      Thanks to Annabeth and Janet for help on the village names
      and all for your help Thanks for any tips
      Dan Koudelka
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 12, 2010
        Dan,
        I can't recall if I sent you the 1995 Slovak Census results for Koudeka
        Priezvisko KOUDELKA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 73×, celkový pocet lokalít: 31, najcastejsie výskyty v lokalitách:
        OSCADNICA, okr. CADCA - 10×;
        SVIDNÍK, okr. SVIDNÍK - 9×;
        VRANOV NAD TOPLOU, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPLOU - 6×;
        RUZINOV (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA - 6×;
        HANKOVCE, okr. HUMENNÉ - 5×;
        HUMENNÉ, okr. HUMENNÉ - 3×;
        MARTIN, okr. MARTIN - 3×;
        LUBOTICE, okr. PRESOV - 2×;
        ZILINA, okr. ZILINA - 2×;
        JAHODNÍKY (obec MARTIN), okr. MARTIN - 2×;
        ... There were 73 listings in 31 locations. Not all locations are given. The Districts of Vranov nad Topl'ou and Humenne are next to one another. And Presov and Svidnik not too far away.
        If I remember correctly your villages are in Bohemia and Moravia in the Czech Republic.
        Look for the church records first. Depending on the years of search, the census at times were of only those who owned land. Leaving out the vast majority of the population.

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 12, 2010
          Thank you Michael.......  I have this census and have  maped out locations, looked for old village names, but have not found anything that sounds like
          Gasdorf,or Casdorfu, which i have on a few documents.
           Is this what would be called a bullseye search? Was it creatated on bills site iabsi.com, in the toolbox surname and settlement search?
          What would be my stratagy be at the LDS center, order 3 or 4 of the highest populated villages to check first?
          Thanks for your help still kinda new at this
                                                                           Dan Koudelka

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 12, 2010
            Daniel,
            You have to go with the "evidence" you have. The two known pieces of your puzzle are Bohemia and Moravia. That puts you in the Czech Republic. I believe I did a "fuzzy" search for your village names and came up with a couple of village names in the Czech Republic. Janet and I came up with, "How about Gastorf, Gaisdorf, or Gotzdorf, and Vaclavi?" You said, "Looking for Village info on Casdorfu Bohemia and Bacclavi Moravia got these names from Bohemian newspaper obits in Chicago area for my grandparents." If you have these leads follow them first before trying a "bull's-eye" search. Try the Czech genealogy groups first to see if they can give you a lead on the villages, remember it all begins with the place.
            Yes, I used Bill's Toolbox surname and settlement search for Koudelka. If you try your village names I'm wont' be surprised that you get nothing since they are in the Czech Republic.
            Google list these Czech genealogy groups -
            Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International - http://www.cgsi.org/
            Interested in the Czech and Slovak genealogy and heritage.
            East European Genealogical Society - http://www.eegsociety.org/
            Non-profit organization identifying and marshaling genealogical resources for east European research.
            National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library - http://www.ncsml.org/
            Contains information about exhibits, programs, and events.
            Texas Czech Genealogical Society - http://www.txczgs.org/
            Non-profit organization working of projects to promote genealogy. Current events, members, and members family links.
            German-Bohemian Heritage Society - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gbhs/index.html
            Promoting, developing, and maintaining the German-Bohemian culture and heritage. Help with individual research.

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 12, 2010
              Hi Dan - have you checked Stetlseeker -
               found this there along with other possibilities but this seemed the strongest - it is near Olomouc in northern Moravia. Many villages there had German names that were changed eventually.

              unfortunately i don't think these records have been filmed by the LDS, looks like they will be eventually.

              Gaisdorf, Kyžlířov populated place 49°38' N 17°41' E E M U G Czech Republic 235.8 kilometers E of Praha 50°5' N 14°28' E
              good luck
              helene

              ________________________________

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 13, 2010
                Thank You so much Helen that is a listing i did not have. I did find a Gastorf /Hostka  and a Geisdorf in Germany
                but the time period fits better with your suggestion, in the Czech Republic and is in the reigon i believe to be searching for.
                I will continue to work with  Stetlseeker. as i am learning my way around and appreciate the help
                             Thanks again             Dan Koudelka

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 13, 2010
                  Thank you again Michael I will continue with the towns you and Janet provided .
                   Thanks for the tips as i have bookmarked all the links you sent me.
                  Do you think LDS will have any data on these towns or even indexes on whats available.
                  or am i looking to order films or Indexes on first visit?
                  Many Thanks ............             Dan Koudelka

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 13, 2010
                    >>> Do you think LDS will have any data on these towns or even indexes on whats available. or am i looking to order films or Indexes on first visit? <<<

                    Pay attention.

                    The LDS film index is on line. You don't need to go to LDS to see the index. It is found at http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

                    You are looking at the Czech Republic, I believe. LDS has NEVER filmed the Czech Republic church records. Military films are available.

                    Current work in the Czech Republic is going direct to digital. No film.

                    There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in CR or about the contents of particular films. The volunteer may know about his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need groups like this to point you in the right direction.

                    Have a nice visit to your nearest Family History Center.
                  • Michael Mojher
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 13, 2010
                      Daniel,
                      The Czech Republic refused to let the LDS photograph their records. I once read where some speculated they did it in order to make work for their genealogists. Hire someone or do it yourself are the only options the Czech's provide.
                      http://www.genealogylinks.net/europe/czech_republic/ A bigger Czech genealogy link site.

                      Some old posting for Koudelka

                      Researching: KOUDELKA
                      Looking for anyone researching Koudelka surname from Pusta Kamenice, Bohemia. Pusta Kamenice is a small village east of Hlinsko in district of Vysoke Myto.
                      email: Susan Cherney - scherney@... - Posted 13 July 1998

                      Mrs. Anna Cernin married Jan "John" Koudelka in September 1899 in Colfax Co., NE. They had a daughter, Paulina, b. 30 July 1900. Jan Koudelka's parents were Pavel and Frantiska Kpodelka from Bohemia. Jan Koudelka was born in Bohemia abt. 1846-48. Would greatly appreciate information.or assistance in researching these surnames either in the U.S. or overseas. Paulina Koudelka married Josef Veltrasky in 1916 in Colfax Co., NE (of Bohemian ancestry) from Daruvar, Yugoslavia. Josef Veltrausky was born in August 1893 in Daruvar, Yugoslavia. Josef Veltrusky's parents were Franjo Veltrusky and Marija Ledvinka. Josef Veltrasky Americanized his name to Joseph Weltrauski about 1930.
                      email: Michael I. Cline - cliner@... - Posted 16 November 1998

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 13, 2010
                        While it's true you don't need to go to LDS to see the index, you do (unfortunately) need to go there to order the films. So maybe there will be someone there to help you. And yes, while it may be true that the volunteer there will know nothing about the area you are searching, it's just as possible that he or she will. When I called my local FHC to get some info, I was told to come on a certain day because there was a volunteer who knew about searching in Austria-Hungary, Slovakia, etc. I just wish you could order the films over the phone. It's an hour round trip for me; it woulld be nice to save a trip.

                        Good luck!
                        Debbie

                        > Daniel,
                        > The Czech Republic refused to let the LDS photograph their records. I once read where some speculated they did it in order to make work for their genealogists. Hire someone or do it yourself are the only options the Czech's provide.
                        > http://www.genealogylinks.net/europe/czech_republic/ A bigger Czech genealogy link site.
                        >
                        > Some old posting for Koudelka
                        >
                        > Researching: KOUDELKA
                        > Looking for anyone researching Koudelka surname from Pusta Kamenice, Bohemia. Pusta Kamenice is a small village east of Hlinsko in district of Vysoke Myto.
                        > email: Susan Cherney - scherney@... - Posted 13 July 1998
                        >
                        > Mrs. Anna Cernin married Jan "John" Koudelka in September 1899 in Colfax Co., NE. They had a daughter, Paulina, b. 30 July 1900. Jan Koudelka's parents were Pavel and Frantiska Kpodelka from Bohemia. Jan Koudelka was born in Bohemia abt. 1846-48. Would greatly appreciate information.or assistance in researching these surnames either in the U.S. or overseas. Paulina Koudelka married Josef Veltrasky in 1916 in Colfax Co., NE (of Bohemian ancestry) from Daruvar, Yugoslavia. Josef Veltrausky was born in August 1893 in Daruvar, Yugoslavia. Josef Veltrusky's parents were Franjo Veltrusky and Marija Ledvinka. Josef Veltrasky Americanized his name to Joseph Weltrauski about 1930.
                        > email: Michael I. Cline - cliner@... - Posted 16 November 1998

                      • Tom Geiss
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 13, 2010
                          Debbie,
                          If you know the number , you SHOULD be able to call them and have them order it. I do that, and when it comes in they call and let me know; and then I give them the money when I go to view it.
                          Tom
                          While it's true you don't need to go to LDS to see the index, you do (unfortunately) need to go there to order the films. So maybe there will be someone there to help you. And yes, while it may be true that the volunteer there will know nothing about the area you are searching, it's just as possible that he or she will. When I called my local FHC to get some info, I was told to come on a certain day because there was a volunteer who knew about searching in Austria-Hungary, Slovakia, etc. I just wish you could order the films over the phone. It's an hour round trip for me; it woulld be nice to save a trip.

                          Good luck!
                          Debbie

                          > Daniel,
                          > The Czech Republic refused to let the LDS photograph their records. I once read where some speculated they did it in order to make work for their genealogists. Hire someone or do it yourself are the only options the Czech's provide.
                          > http://www.genealogylinks.net/europe/czech_republic/ A bigger Czech genealogy link site.
                          >
                          > Some old posting for Koudelka
                          >
                          > Researching: KOUDELKA
                          > Looking for anyone researching Koudelka surname from Pusta Kamenice, Bohemia. Pusta Kamenice is a small village east of Hlinsko in district of Vysoke Myto.
                          > email: Susan Cherney - scherney@... - Posted 13 July 1998
                          >
                          > Mrs. Anna Cernin married Jan "John" Koudelka in September 1899 in Colfax Co., NE. They had a daughter, Paulina, b. 30 July 1900. Jan Koudelka's parents were Pavel and Frantiska Kpodelka from Bohemia. Jan Koudelka was born in Bohemia abt. 1846-48. Would greatly appreciate information.or assistance in researching these surnames either in the U.S. or overseas. Paulina Koudelka married Josef Veltrasky in 1916 in Colfax Co., NE (of Bohemian ancestry) from Daruvar, Yugoslavia. Josef Veltrausky was born in August 1893 in Daruvar, Yugoslavia. Josef Veltrusky's parents were Franjo Veltrusky and Marija Ledvinka. Josef Veltrasky Americanized his name to Joseph Weltrauski about 1930.
                          > email: Michael I. Cline - cliner@... - Posted 16 November 1998

                        • Daniel Koudelka
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 13, 2010
                             Thank you John for info on the LDS Indexes
                                        I will be digging in tonight to see whats there.
                                   If LDS has not filmed the church records in the Czech Repubic, my other options would be?
                              1.Hire someone in the Czech Republic?
                               2. Wait for digital records to be added? (Is LDS doing the digital records as well?)
                              I have some things to look up in USA as well so it won't be a wild goose chase.
                                                           Thanks again for the info
                                                                                Dan Koudelka

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 14, 2010
                              >>> If LDS has not filmed the church records in the Czech Repubic, my other options would be?
                              1.Hire someone in the Czech Republic? <<<

                              Here's is perhaps your optimal researcher. Dr. Miro Koudelka
                              http://www.czechfamily.com/
                            • John
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 14, 2010
                                >>> If you know the number, you SHOULD be able to call them and have them order it. I do that, and when it comes in they call and let me know; and then I give them the money when I go to view it. <<<

                                Your are blessed with a favourable payment policy. That's definitely not the case at my FHC location.
                              • J.B. Bulharowski
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 14, 2010
                                  I heartily concur with John - I'm on my way this week to see the film ordered for me at the LDS/FHC in Mesa, AZ. No problem, pay with cash or charge. Am anxious to see what I might learn.
                                  Cheers; JB

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 14, 2010
                                    Hi Tom. No, I spoke to the folks at two different FHC locations, and at both locations I have to go in person and order the films. They won't order them until I pay for them, and I guess they won't take payment over the phone (credit card, etc.) So I have to drive out there just to order the films, and then back again (perhaps several times, depending on time needed) to view the films.

                                    Debbie