Re: [S-R] Re: Member Village Index not sure this was sent

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2010
      Hi Frank - I didn't include email and postal addresses in the data base for reasons of privacy - a few people explicitly asked not to have it public - so i came up with the idea of connecting people on an "as need" basis. I do a number of them each week and collect data just about every day.

      maybe it is time to pass this on to be done in a bigger and better way. But i would want the listers queried to be sure making their address or e mail public was OK with them.

      It has worked amazingly well for 20 some years. Especially for someone who doesn't have a clue where their family came from - i can match them with similar surnames and people who do know.

      yes it would be interesting to see what others say.

      The most difficult part has been getting the data base updated - some  version are really old and thousands of names less than the current version. I thought we had standardized pretty well with village name followed by county; sometimes county if that is all this is know, and there are some neighboring countries involved as so many have roots "over the border".

      Not sure Greg has used the latest update.

      helene