Re: [S-R] 1869 Hungarian Census - response

  • Anabeth Dollins
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
      Bill --

      Thanks for your encouragement. During the early years of Slovak-World,
      before there was a Slovak-Roots, I discovered several others who were
      researching my villages of Brezova pod Bradlom and Myjava and we began our
      own little mailing list on which we shared information. This has since
      morphed into a Yahoo group.

      When I borrowed the FHL 1869 censuses for these villages, I made partial
      transcriptions and put these on my web page (anabeth.dollins.org). At
      minimum, I have listed family names and house numbers for each village.
      Thanks to these minimal transcriptions I have discovered even more
      researchers -- or, more accurately, people interested in working on their
      family history. I've been able to help quite a few people get started on
      their own research because of their finding family names on my web pages.

      I heartily second your suggestion to "proactively seek out others." One way
      is by putting family and village names on web pages. It's possible to create
      a free personal web page using Google, for example. (No affiliation)

      Anabeth Dollins

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
        Great thoughts Anabeth.

        The power of posting your surnames and village info on a permanent web
        page is HUGE. I call it "going fishing". Sooner or later the fish will
        begin to nibble. May take several years, but you'll eventually get a
        "bite." I have never seen it fail in our region of the world.

        Think about it. Someone gets inspired to do family research, for any
        number of reasons. What do they do today? They dig up the little info
        they have and then Google it. I always like to Google my surname and my
        village name, even today, to see what pops up.

        For eastern Slovakia, I collected a bunch of village info and posted them
        on my web, because many of these villages have no web way to connect
        people. I figured if I knew someone who knew about these villages, I
        could pass the name along when someone google fishing hit the page and
        contacted me. Each page includes the researcher name, the village
        surnames and any info on the village I can find. Often people come along
        and give me more info to add - these pages just grow(or not) as I receive
        info..

        If you're uncomfortable creating a page, I'm happy to make a little web
        page of your village if you'd like along with contact info, pictures or
        what have you. I don't charge anyone, because this is my hobby, my labor
        of love. I pay for it all myself, because I don't want it cluttered with
        advertisement. Give me the content, I'll post it. I've made sure that
        my web site is high on the search engine priorities, so I get a lot of
        hits when people research our area. Our area has so little web exposure
        that makes it part of my mission. Like little hillbilly hamlets here in
        the States, they don't get much attention in Slovakia either. Write me
        privately if interested.

        Bill

        On Thu, February 4, 2010 10:51 am, Anabeth Dollins wrote:
        > Bill --
        >
        > Thanks for your encouragement. During the early years of Slovak-World,
        > before there was a Slovak-Roots, I discovered several others who were
        > researching my villages of Brezova pod Bradlom and Myjava and we began our
        > own little mailing list on which we shared information. This has since
        > morphed into a Yahoo group.
        >
        > When I borrowed the FHL 1869 censuses for these villages, I made partial
        > transcriptions and put these on my web page (anabeth.dollins.org). At
        > minimum, I have listed family names and house numbers for each village.
        > Thanks to these minimal transcriptions I have discovered even more
        > researchers -- or, more accurately, people interested in working on their
        > family history. I've been able to help quite a few people get started on
        > their own research because of their finding family names on my web pages.
        >
        > I heartily second your suggestion to "proactively seek out others." One
        > way
        > is by putting family and village names on web pages. It's possible to
        > create
        > a free personal web page using Google, for example. (No affiliation)
        >
        > Anabeth Dollins
        >
        > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Bill Tarkulich
        > <bill.tarkulich@...>wrote:
        >

        >> I imagine if you did a poll of the 1,000 researchers on this forum, you
        >> will
        >> find that most are the only one researching their village. In a few
        >> cases
        >> I see 2 or 3 people researching all or part of the same village, but it
        >> seems to be the exception rather than the rule. In my 11 years doing
        >> genealogy correspondence on the web, it's only about every 3-5 years
        >> that
        >> someone comes along looking for the same village. And the bigger problem
        >> is that the original researcher has disappeared without a trace.
        >>
        >> I wholeheartedly encourage researchers to proactively seek out others
        >> who
        >> are researching the same village and exchange information with them.
        >> Each
        >> little village has so little info, that every little piece you add helps
        >> significantly. So, I would suggest you do the same to the researcher who
        >> compiled the Circ list.
        >>
        >> Bill

        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com