hyphenated last names

  • gram46va
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2010
      In checking church records and Ellis Island records, I have come across a few individuals with hyphenated last names, for example: Stephan Veligan-Povala. Does anyone have an idea why this was done?
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2010
        I really don't know why; there could be many reasons.

        It was very much the exception to have hyphenated names 100 years ago,
        which leads me to believe there will be no one "right" answer, as the
        handling was probably not standardized.

        What part(column) of the manifest do you see this on? The immigrant's
        name? or the go-to name? Are these names all from the same family? Are
        they all in one particular manifest? Are they all done on the same day?

        Questions of this sort need to be put into context. Examining the entire
        record, that of others on the same page, providing more examples, dates,
        and other seemingly unrelated detail goes a long way in explaining things.

        Searching for those surnames individually to look for a pattern or trend
        either in the manifests or in the family will serve you greatly.

        Bill

        On Thu, February 4, 2010 9:49 am, gram46va wrote:
        > In checking church records and Ellis Island records, I have come across a
        > few individuals with hyphenated last names, for example: Stephan
        > Veligan-Povala. Does anyone have an idea why this was done?

        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com