Re: [S-R] 1869 Hungarian Census - response

  • Margaret Hicks
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
      Yes, it is only for Circ but for me it is very usefull since a lot of my Varhola/Plavcan family came from there. Hopefully other people can use it

      Margaret

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
        I imagine if you did a poll of the 1,000 researchers on this forum, you will
        find that most are the only one researching their village. In a few cases
        I see 2 or 3 people researching all or part of the same village, but it
        seems to be the exception rather than the rule. In my 11 years doing
        genealogy correspondence on the web, it's only about every 3-5 years that
        someone comes along looking for the same village. And the bigger problem
        is that the original researcher has disappeared without a trace.

        I wholeheartedly encourage researchers to proactively seek out others who
        are researching the same village and exchange information with them. Each
        little village has so little info, that every little piece you add helps
        significantly. So, I would suggest you do the same to the researcher who
        compiled the Circ list.

        Bill
      • Anabeth Dollins
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
          Bill --

          Thanks for your encouragement. During the early years of Slovak-World,
          before there was a Slovak-Roots, I discovered several others who were
          researching my villages of Brezova pod Bradlom and Myjava and we began our
          own little mailing list on which we shared information. This has since
          morphed into a Yahoo group.

          When I borrowed the FHL 1869 censuses for these villages, I made partial
          transcriptions and put these on my web page (anabeth.dollins.org). At
          minimum, I have listed family names and house numbers for each village.
          Thanks to these minimal transcriptions I have discovered even more
          researchers -- or, more accurately, people interested in working on their
          family history. I've been able to help quite a few people get started on
          their own research because of their finding family names on my web pages.

          I heartily second your suggestion to "proactively seek out others." One way
          is by putting family and village names on web pages. It's possible to create
          a free personal web page using Google, for example. (No affiliation)

          Anabeth Dollins

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
            Great thoughts Anabeth.

            The power of posting your surnames and village info on a permanent web
            page is HUGE. I call it "going fishing". Sooner or later the fish will
            begin to nibble. May take several years, but you'll eventually get a
            "bite." I have never seen it fail in our region of the world.

            Think about it. Someone gets inspired to do family research, for any
            number of reasons. What do they do today? They dig up the little info
            they have and then Google it. I always like to Google my surname and my
            village name, even today, to see what pops up.

            For eastern Slovakia, I collected a bunch of village info and posted them
            on my web, because many of these villages have no web way to connect
            people. I figured if I knew someone who knew about these villages, I
            could pass the name along when someone google fishing hit the page and
            contacted me. Each page includes the researcher name, the village
            surnames and any info on the village I can find. Often people come along
            and give me more info to add - these pages just grow(or not) as I receive
            info..

            If you're uncomfortable creating a page, I'm happy to make a little web
            page of your village if you'd like along with contact info, pictures or
            what have you. I don't charge anyone, because this is my hobby, my labor
            of love. I pay for it all myself, because I don't want it cluttered with
            advertisement. Give me the content, I'll post it. I've made sure that
            my web site is high on the search engine priorities, so I get a lot of
            hits when people research our area. Our area has so little web exposure
            that makes it part of my mission. Like little hillbilly hamlets here in
            the States, they don't get much attention in Slovakia either. Write me
            privately if interested.

            Bill

            On Thu, February 4, 2010 10:51 am, Anabeth Dollins wrote:
            > Bill --
            >
            > Thanks for your encouragement. During the early years of Slovak-World,
            > before there was a Slovak-Roots, I discovered several others who were
            > researching my villages of Brezova pod Bradlom and Myjava and we began our
            > own little mailing list on which we shared information. This has since
            > morphed into a Yahoo group.
            >
            > When I borrowed the FHL 1869 censuses for these villages, I made partial
            > transcriptions and put these on my web page (anabeth.dollins.org). At
            > minimum, I have listed family names and house numbers for each village.
            > Thanks to these minimal transcriptions I have discovered even more
            > researchers -- or, more accurately, people interested in working on their
            > family history. I've been able to help quite a few people get started on
            > their own research because of their finding family names on my web pages.
            >
            > I heartily second your suggestion to "proactively seek out others." One
            > way
            > is by putting family and village names on web pages. It's possible to
            > create
            > a free personal web page using Google, for example. (No affiliation)
            >
            > Anabeth Dollins
            >
            > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Bill Tarkulich
            > <bill.tarkulich@...>wrote:
            >

            >> I imagine if you did a poll of the 1,000 researchers on this forum, you
            >> will
            >> find that most are the only one researching their village. In a few
            >> cases
            >> I see 2 or 3 people researching all or part of the same village, but it
            >> seems to be the exception rather than the rule. In my 11 years doing
            >> genealogy correspondence on the web, it's only about every 3-5 years
            >> that
            >> someone comes along looking for the same village. And the bigger problem
            >> is that the original researcher has disappeared without a trace.
            >>
            >> I wholeheartedly encourage researchers to proactively seek out others
            >> who
            >> are researching the same village and exchange information with them.
            >> Each
            >> little village has so little info, that every little piece you add helps
            >> significantly. So, I would suggest you do the same to the researcher who
            >> compiled the Circ list.
            >>
            >> Bill

            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com