RE: [S-R] 1869 Hungarian Census - response

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
      Yes, I looked into it today. What you are referencing is a transcription
      done by one private researcher of one village. In fact, it's not a census
      transcription per-se, but a synthesis of church records and 1869 census
      records.
      http://www.tccweb.org/circ.htm
      http://www.tccweb.org/Web%20Site/Circ1869MMaddock.pdf
      http://www.tccweb.org/Web%20Site/Circ1869SummaryMMaddock.pdf

      Many researchers have begun efforts to transcribe portions of the 1869 and
      post them online, with limited success. Most people run out of steam before
      they finish their own village.

      A noble and worthy effort indeed, but the facts lie clear, this is not the
      entire (or even a significant portion) census online. There are over 2,500
      villages in Slovakia alone. The Mormons have microfilmed a portion of these
      census for Slovakia. Dr. Maddock references these films in her document as
      her primary sources.

      While Dr. Maddock's work appears complete, most non-professional
      transcriptions pose great risk to the researchers. It is often the case
      that these transcriptions are incomplete, and without a second pass
      verification, errors are often introduced. Transcribers often have a
      limited agenda and as such, original data are often omitted. The Ellis
      Island records are a perfect example of transcriptions that have gone awry
      due to poor penmanship, unfamiliarity with language and general mistakes.

      The real collection of the 1869 Census has been filmed in part by the Family
      History Library. Researchers still need to view films of these original
      themselves.
      I have written a complete description along with sample pages are found on
      my web page:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm#1869Census

      Margaret was lucky because her village was found online. My congratulations
      to her. I wish it was that easy for the rest of us. I'm sure if you Google
      the web enough you will find transcriptions of other villages, in sum or in
      part. TCCWEB assembles information volunteered by thoughtful contributors,
      but remains entirely dependent upon the author for accuracy. They do not
      systematically collect 1869 census data.

      Other than these private transcriptions (which are not well organized or
      discovered), the only web-accessible census data are limited to the indices
      found in the FHL catalog.

      Regards,

      Bill

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
        Yes, it is only for Circ but for me it is very usefull since a lot of my Varhola/Plavcan family came from there. Hopefully other people can use it

        Margaret

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
          I imagine if you did a poll of the 1,000 researchers on this forum, you will
          find that most are the only one researching their village. In a few cases
          I see 2 or 3 people researching all or part of the same village, but it
          seems to be the exception rather than the rule. In my 11 years doing
          genealogy correspondence on the web, it's only about every 3-5 years that
          someone comes along looking for the same village. And the bigger problem
          is that the original researcher has disappeared without a trace.

          I wholeheartedly encourage researchers to proactively seek out others who
          are researching the same village and exchange information with them. Each
          little village has so little info, that every little piece you add helps
          significantly. So, I would suggest you do the same to the researcher who
          compiled the Circ list.

          Bill
        • Anabeth Dollins
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
            Bill --

            Thanks for your encouragement. During the early years of Slovak-World,
            before there was a Slovak-Roots, I discovered several others who were
            researching my villages of Brezova pod Bradlom and Myjava and we began our
            own little mailing list on which we shared information. This has since
            morphed into a Yahoo group.

            When I borrowed the FHL 1869 censuses for these villages, I made partial
            transcriptions and put these on my web page (anabeth.dollins.org). At
            minimum, I have listed family names and house numbers for each village.
            Thanks to these minimal transcriptions I have discovered even more
            researchers -- or, more accurately, people interested in working on their
            family history. I've been able to help quite a few people get started on
            their own research because of their finding family names on my web pages.

            I heartily second your suggestion to "proactively seek out others." One way
            is by putting family and village names on web pages. It's possible to create
            a free personal web page using Google, for example. (No affiliation)

            Anabeth Dollins

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
              Great thoughts Anabeth.

              The power of posting your surnames and village info on a permanent web
              page is HUGE. I call it "going fishing". Sooner or later the fish will
              begin to nibble. May take several years, but you'll eventually get a
              "bite." I have never seen it fail in our region of the world.

              Think about it. Someone gets inspired to do family research, for any
              number of reasons. What do they do today? They dig up the little info
              they have and then Google it. I always like to Google my surname and my
              village name, even today, to see what pops up.

              For eastern Slovakia, I collected a bunch of village info and posted them
              on my web, because many of these villages have no web way to connect
              people. I figured if I knew someone who knew about these villages, I
              could pass the name along when someone google fishing hit the page and
              contacted me. Each page includes the researcher name, the village
              surnames and any info on the village I can find. Often people come along
              and give me more info to add - these pages just grow(or not) as I receive
              info..

              If you're uncomfortable creating a page, I'm happy to make a little web
              page of your village if you'd like along with contact info, pictures or
              what have you. I don't charge anyone, because this is my hobby, my labor
              of love. I pay for it all myself, because I don't want it cluttered with
              advertisement. Give me the content, I'll post it. I've made sure that
              my web site is high on the search engine priorities, so I get a lot of
              hits when people research our area. Our area has so little web exposure
              that makes it part of my mission. Like little hillbilly hamlets here in
              the States, they don't get much attention in Slovakia either. Write me
              privately if interested.

              Bill

              On Thu, February 4, 2010 10:51 am, Anabeth Dollins wrote:
              > Bill --
              >
              > Thanks for your encouragement. During the early years of Slovak-World,
              > before there was a Slovak-Roots, I discovered several others who were
              > researching my villages of Brezova pod Bradlom and Myjava and we began our
              > own little mailing list on which we shared information. This has since
              > morphed into a Yahoo group.
              >
              > When I borrowed the FHL 1869 censuses for these villages, I made partial
              > transcriptions and put these on my web page (anabeth.dollins.org). At
              > minimum, I have listed family names and house numbers for each village.
              > Thanks to these minimal transcriptions I have discovered even more
              > researchers -- or, more accurately, people interested in working on their
              > family history. I've been able to help quite a few people get started on
              > their own research because of their finding family names on my web pages.
              >
              > I heartily second your suggestion to "proactively seek out others." One
              > way
              > is by putting family and village names on web pages. It's possible to
              > create
              > a free personal web page using Google, for example. (No affiliation)
              >
              > Anabeth Dollins
              >
              > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Bill Tarkulich
              > <bill.tarkulich@...>wrote:
              >

              >> I imagine if you did a poll of the 1,000 researchers on this forum, you
              >> will
              >> find that most are the only one researching their village. In a few
              >> cases
              >> I see 2 or 3 people researching all or part of the same village, but it
              >> seems to be the exception rather than the rule. In my 11 years doing
              >> genealogy correspondence on the web, it's only about every 3-5 years
              >> that
              >> someone comes along looking for the same village. And the bigger problem
              >> is that the original researcher has disappeared without a trace.
              >>
              >> I wholeheartedly encourage researchers to proactively seek out others
              >> who
              >> are researching the same village and exchange information with them.
              >> Each
              >> little village has so little info, that every little piece you add helps
              >> significantly. So, I would suggest you do the same to the researcher who
              >> compiled the Circ list.
              >>
              >> Bill

              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi.com